Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My partner and I are strongly considering a trip to Cabo San Lucas in December of this year for a week. We've never been.
What resort/villa is the better bang for the buck--while still being pretty nice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 AM

291 posts, read 648,666 times
mmm, cabo san lucas is a jet-set destination, i dunno if you can find something cheap there...If you dont have a good amount of money, go to LA PAZ still beautifull and more easy going and cheap.

regards!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
mmm, cabo san lucas is a jet-set destination, i dunno if you can find something cheap there...If you dont have a good amount of money, go to LA PAZ still beautifull and more easy going and cheap.

regards!
OK, great, thanks. I'll look into La Paz...I appreciate it.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Spent many nights in La Paz/Mazatlan on the way to Mexico City, There are tourist hotels and those used by locals. If you want to rub elbows with Americans, you can. If your not looking for smooozing service then a local hotel down the street will be fine and cheaper. They are all on the beach front. You can walk from the hotel along the beach sidewalk to any place to eat or for a couple of dlls take a cab. Walking is better, especially in the evening. Mazatlan has many honeymooners on the weekends from central Mexico and they are obvious. The airport at Cabo is in San Jose del Cabo 20 miles north of Cabo San Lucas. Taxi will be a stiff $50. (an old figure) If you book a hotel in Cabo itself, they will have a large van to pick up those going to their hotel as part of your stay fee. Most people arriving take the van to their hotels. There are nice hotels along the Sea of Cortez between the two towns. It comes down to a matter of how much money you are willing to spend. Buenas Suerte.Stefhen

Old 09-24-2008, 12:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Try Finisterra, one of the bigger "original" hotels. Walking distance to town and the marina.

I found La Paz to be kind of "big city", but it is awfully nice along the malecon.

I would like to try Los Barriles, North of San Jose, I forget the name of the major hotel on the water there, but it looked pretty neat to me. start here; Los Barriles Mexico Vacation Rentals, Villas, Condos and Beach Houses - Mexico Vacations.com

Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I LOVE Cabo! I'm waiting to retire there.

I've stayed at an all-inclusive in the Hotel Corridor between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas and HATED IT (the food was BAD)! You have to take a taxi to either town and it is not cheap (and wastes a lot of time going back and forth). We did not like it because of the location and the food. You can rent a car in Cabo either at your hotel or the airport and getting around is pretty easy. There is bus service from the Hotel Corridor to town but it is a LOT of waiting in the hot sun on the side of the road. An even BIGGER waste of precious time when your in such a great place.

Our condo now is in Cabo at the Villa del Arco and MUCH closer to town. You can walk down the beach to a few restaurants or take a taxi to wherever you want to go into town for about $7 one way. The del Arco has an all-inclusive package you can purchase at check-in and if your going to be eating a LOT while there like by the pool and drinking then it is a good deal. Or go to the grocery store on the property and buy a few things and save some money that way. Buy a case of water, drinks, snacks and things for light meals to eat in like for breakfast or lunch while hanging around the pool and/or beach. However, in Cabo and San Jose there are some GREAT restaurants that are all pretty reasonable. We usually eat on property for breakfast and lunch (might buy something at the resort for lunch but bought stuff for breakfast at the store) and then go out for dinner.

Taxi rides to the hotels from the airport - you won't see a lot of regular taxi cabs at the airport. When you purchase your package sometimes you can add transfers which typically run around $30 pp. If you wait till you get there (the airport is a whole NOTHER story - if you do go I'll give you tips to get out of the airport building itself) you can get one of the shuttles for about $18 pp. The airport itself is nice, small and efficient.

While most of the hotels/resorts along the Hotel Corridor might be a bit cheaper your going to make it up in taxi fares. Even if you just go into town a few times it adds up quick. If you play golf it is very nice here but expensive. There are some great courses in this area.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,298 times
Villa Maria in Pedregal is absolutely amazing if you can afford it. The Tesoro Hotel is nice too because you are right in town and you can walk to everything. Medano Beach is the best for swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico