Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times

Advertisements

This is definitely a great start. Indigenous populations in Mexico should be recognized.

Translation result for http://prensa.politicaspublicas.net/index.php/alatina/mexico-traducen-constitucion-a-13-lenguas-indigenas (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fprensa.politicasp ublicas.net%2Findex.php%2Falatina%2Fmexico-traducen-constitucion-a-13-lenguas-indigenas&lp=es_en&.intl=us&fr=yfp-t-701 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Very interesting. I think that's great.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Very interesting. I think that's great.
Its definitely a step in the right direction. Now its time to acknowledge their rights and protections...

Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
That's ok, but they can read it? I am sure 98% of mexican population, indigenous or spanish speakers aren't read the mexican constitution.

For me do it this is a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
That's ok, but they can read it? I am sure 98% of mexican population, indigenous or spanish speakers aren't read the mexican constitution.

For me do it this is a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY.
I understand what you are saying inombrable. It does not make sense to waste time and money on translating it to all these languages that as time goes on will eventually be lost. However, it has sentimental value to the native populations that by history have been made to feel like they are not citizens of Mexico. I read that this was such a big deal to indigenous people that they celebrated in their own traditional ways. Do they read? Yes, many do. In some languages they even read the bible translated to their own language. Why not show them what their rights are by translating the constitution?
Besides, it is important to conserve these languages, IMO. They are part of our cultural heritage. Now we just need to teach the current generation and mainstream culture to stop making fun of their native languages and to respect it. This is one major reason indigenous children complain about. They say "mestizos" make fun of them when they speak their native tongue. Parents complain that their children don't want to speak the native language anymore because their children are mocked. Indigenous peoples are always under so much pressure to assimilate and leave behind their cultural roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico