Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 14,202 times

Advertisements

married to a mexican citizen and want to retire in mexico want kind of problems will I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,340,738 times
I hear the police are very corrupt down there from other cops

If you do not have a good paying job, you may end up in the shady areas.

Tu hablas espanol?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:04 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,442,114 times
Hi Rogerjr

Not much, if your spouse is a mexican citizen you just need to do the paperwork right, it can take some time though because of bureaucracy but it isn't really hard.

Also retiring in Mexico is even easier because you will be living on your pension and not needing a job, i'd suggest you to do some research on it, good luck coming to mexico, where would you like to live?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,293,510 times
People can be very scummy, don't move by a border town, its crazy.
I would suggest somewhere like Aguascalientes, its a very tranquil city in general.
although, if you go on a road trip...many guards and police are corrupt, they will turn a blind eye if you pay them a decent amount.
and watch some gas station scams too... they will not reset the pump after a previous customer sometimes and you will get charged what the previous customer already paid. They won't hesitate to just put the gas in as quick as possible so its not notice able so before you go to the pump either pump it your self or take a good look.
other then that it shouldn't be too problematic, when your in flea markets and stuff like that... you might want to refrain from talking English or that nice pair of shoes may go from viente pesos to 'tehn dollah!'.
if you have a fair bank account then you should be fine.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,954,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I hear the police are very corrupt down there from other cops

If you do not have a good paying job, you may end up in the shady areas.

Tu hablas espanol?

All it takes is a $20 and you can get away with any traffic violation.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 PM

884 posts, read 1,036,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Hi Rogerjr

Not much, if your spouse is a mexican citizen you just need to do the paperwork right, it can take some time though because of bureaucracy but it isn't really hard.

Also retiring in Mexico is even easier because you will be living on your pension and not needing a job, i'd suggest you to do some research on it, good luck coming to mexico, where would you like to live?

I hear stuff all the time about Mexico/Mexico city mostly being so dangerous....have you experienced much of that?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 17,954 times
Marring a Mexican is not a crime. You are now a "consumer" of mexican products. I am also married to a beautiful mexican woman. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
I hear stuff all the time about Mexico/Mexico city mostly being so dangerous....have you experienced much of that?
imho it isn't more dangerous than NYC, or Sao paulo, or any big city from the American continent. You need to be aware and take care but that's pretty much what you need to be safe in this city.

Mexico city has a big highly educated middle class population who is fluent in english, but it'd be advisable to learn spanish if you want to get a nice job, but at least you won't feel that far from home during the learning process

Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerjr View Post
married to a mexican citizen and want to retire in mexico want kind of problems will I have?
As long as you have money, Mexico can be a nice enough country to live in. Cheap housekeepers, landscapers and all that. There are areas with quite a few American retirees.

There's definitely two Mexicos -- one for the wealthy, another for the large population of poor -- it's the poor who will tell you things aren't so great in Mexico -- because for them it's not.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As long as you have money, Mexico can be a nice enough country to live in. Cheap housekeepers, landscapers and all that. There are areas with quite a few American retirees.

There's definitely two Mexicos -- one for the wealthy, another for the large population of poor -- it's the poor who will tell you things aren't so great in Mexico -- because for them it's not.
Not all poor people think this, there's a saying in Mexico that goes, jodido pero contento (broke but happy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico