Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM

27 posts, read 33,766 times

Advertisements

The real question is: Would you buy fruits and vegetables from America?

The answer:
Fruit and vegetables from Mexico are 10x safer than their genetically modified American counterparts. Mexicans pride themselves on the quality of their crops- especially their corn and they won't even touch ours. For Mexicans, eating US grown corn is the equivalent of spam- it's a poor mans food.

I try as much as I possibly can to support local farmers markets, but I usually leave with only a few items because I only buy organic non-GMO foods. So to answer the question: I would pay .30¢ more for Mexican orange over a Florida orange. Non-GMO Nature Sweet brand tomatoes from Mexico... Gotta love em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
People who are reared in an area, generation after generation, sometimes develop a resistance to parasites that non residents would not be immune to. "Montezuma's Revenge" is a real issue of this sort. There are people working in rice paddies who have all sorts of parasites from that environment.

I think it is always wisest to err on the side of caution, particularly since Western doctors are widely not trained in disorders that are not common in the states. You may end up with sup normal health for the remainder of your life just because you gambled that local food was safe.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:21 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,500,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn3d View Post
The real question is: Would you buy fruits and vegetables from America?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn3d View Post

The answer:
Fruit and vegetables from Mexico are 10x safer than their genetically modified American counterparts. Mexicans pride themselves on the quality of their crops- especially their corn and they won't even touch ours. For Mexicans, eating US grown corn is the equivalent of spam- it's a poor mans food.
Sorry, I don't believe what you're saying is accurate. However, if you have some factual information to provide us with ... I'm open to the possibility of changing my mind.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 PM

There is a good argument that can be made for small local growers all over and Mexico probably has a good climate for these farms. In the US even some small growers will choose crops that are to their economic advantage and sometimes this will also result in food that looks pretty, but is tasteless and probably has fewer vitamins.

There are so many varieties of corn and most of our food is grown by big producers.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 PM

275 posts, read 979,023 times
Just bring your Sams Club or Costco card, and you will buy some clean raw vegetables. I dont know if you know that a lot of vegetables sold in retails stores in the USA are produced in México, as for example brocoli, lechuga, and some more stuff.

Tourists like to experience eating at street markets. In my life i have eaten in street markets several times and i never suffered some kind of disease.

In the USA there a lot of myths about Mexico. I recomend you never say those things in Mexico because people could feel offended with those comments.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Just bring your Sams Club or Costco card, and you will buy some clean raw vegetables. I dont know if you know that a lot of vegetables sold in retails stores in the USA are produced in México, as for example brocoli, lechuga, and some more stuff.

Tourists like to experience eating at street markets. In my life i have eaten in street markets several times and i never suffered some kind of disease.

In the USA there a lot of myths about Mexico. I recomend you never say those things in Mexico because people could feel offended with those comments.
There are hot headed and unreasonable people in every group who can take offense to practically anything. The fact remains that there is almost no inspection of foods that come to the US from other lands, so we have no recourse but to try to protect ourselves.

Remember that huge tomato scare in the US, in which people died? Entire crops were ruined all over the country because people were afraid to buy them. The culprit turned out to be tainted peppers from Mexico.

Remember the tainted baby and pet foods from China? Japan refuses to import from China because of tainted food.

I think every person, no matter where you are from, should take care. It only takes one slip. None of our governments do a really acceptable job to protect the citizen.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,500,446 times
Quote:
The warehouse stores would be my last choice of places to purchase fresh vegetables/fruits in Mexico. You're right that a lot of produce, seasonally, grown in Mexico is sold in USA supermarkets. Particularly so during Winter months. Many USA growers have large operations in Mexico.

Quote:
My assumption is that most foreign tourists unfamiliar with Mexico are interested in trying/eating food sold by street vendors but are hesitant to do so. Oftentimes the hesitancy is well-foounded because not all vendors prepare food properly or observe good hygene habits. Many people do get ill after eating food from a street vendor, Mexicans and foreigners. Before I purchase from a street vendor I stand off to one side and observe for a little while, then I make my decision based on my own personal standards of acceptance. Some of the best food I've eaten in Mexico has been served by street vendors, so I never advise people to stay away completely. Just use common sense caution.

Quote:
And in Mexico there are a lot of myths about the United States. That's the situation in any country. We speculate, form opinions without having all of the information we should before doing that. My observation has been that most people in the USA have little interest in Mexico, and, therefore, have no opinion. My experience has been that Mexicans are more critical of the things they don't like in their culture, lifestyle and country than any foreigner can be. Yes, it's wise not to start a conversation, or dominate a conversation with someone you've just met with criticisms. In Mexico or elsewhere. But if you've established a relationship with someone in Mexico people should feel free to express opinions, and be prepared for the people you're speaking with to be equally frank. Our choice of words always sets the paramaters of discussions. With business owners and employees, however, I think people should not be reluctant to express an opinion, good or bad, if they think it's appropriate - at any time. An opinion about the service, quality, price, whatever.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,143,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamienk View Post
I've been living in Mexico City for several years now. When I moved here, everybody from the states told me not to eat raw veggies, or drink the water. Of course, they got all their information from the media, or other crazy loons that want to make Mexico look as bad as they possibly can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamienk View Post
Well, I didn't listen. Actually, my first night in Mexico I went and had tacos al pastor, alambre, and other small things with raw veggies. Drank the tap water, rinsed my teeth with it.
But I did get sick, once, about 2 months after I was there. Just a common cold I think though, no vomiting or "revenge" symptoms.
I think what most people refer to as the "revenge" is actually just adjusting to a different area of the world. As mentioned in a previous post, there are many different microbes and other small things in different areas of the world that may not be present where you are from. Such as the Miami to Chicago comment above. The air is also different, with different bacteria that you have not built immunities to yet.
But over time, you will build immunities to the bacteria and microbes in the area you are in, and no longer have to worry about anythying. Unless of course there are definite things that are making people sick, which you can find out about by talking to locals.
Moral of this: Dig In, and enjoy everything while you are here as much as you can.

Oh really. They STAND on the toilet seats in the portable outhouses on the construction sites in Palm Beach, and make the facility a PIG STY!
The sanitation in their "restaurants" is disgusting - just have a look at the restaurant inspections that are widely available.
Fine for you, but I'll pass.....and so does everyone I know.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:09 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is now quite safe to eat raw vegetables and drink tap water almost everywhere in Mexico. In fact, quite a lot of the raw vegetables you buy in your supermarket were grown in Mexico. Montezuma's Revenge is an anachronism.

But if you're worried about it, put all your fresh veggies in a pot full of water and add a cap-ful of bleach, let them stand a while, then rinse them off.

It's been a very long time (decades) since I got sick in Mexico, and I eat and drink everything,, without a thought.
i would not encourage people to drink tap water everywhere in mexico. there has to be a reason resorts bring in ice and potable water. there has to be a reason even mexicans dont drink the tap water.

also ur example of washing veggies in water with a capful of bleach is good but if you rinse them rinse them with bottled water otherwise ur defeating the point of the bleach if you rinse them in tap water again.

i just got back from mexico and came back with giardia and i only drank bottled water, dishes, veggies, etc are all washed with tap water. rule of thumb only eat pealable fruits and veggies.

as for street food i love street food and it gets a bad rap for not being sanitary but most of the stands i saw people wore gloves and they had a seperate person taking money from the person making/serving food

Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,136,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
My assumption is that most foreign tourists unfamiliar with Mexico are interested in trying/eating food sold by street vendors but are hesitant to do so. Oftentimes the hesitancy is well-foounded because not all vendors prepare food properly or observe good hygene habits. Many people do get ill after eating food from a street vendor, Mexicans and foreigners. Before I purchase from a street vendor I stand off to one side and observe for a little while, then I make my decision based on my own personal standards of acceptance. Some of the best food I've eaten in Mexico has been served by street vendors, so I never advise people to stay away completely. Just use common sense caution.
Definitely. I had days in Mexico where I barely left the hotel room because I knew I would have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes, and I lost a lot of weight because (some of the trip) whenever I ate, I'd have to go the bathroom.

Nevertheless, the street vendors usually have excellent food.

And street vendors are infamous even in Mexico (at least the parts I was in) for their unsanitary practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico