Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I am the descendant of slaves and I marched in the civil rights movement at the age of 4. Even at that age I was aware of the dangers and the possibility of death but I marched with pride alongside my grandmother and Dr. King, determined to fight for my rights as a human being and an American.

I applaud those of you who stay home and work hard to make your country a better place.

You should feel proud for defending what was right at such a young age Jdubs, thanks to people like you the world is a fairer place now you have my respect for that.

I believe that it all comes down to faith, imho people who leave the country do not have faith in the country or themselves, the same with people who have kids at such a young age, i believe they auto sabotage themselves because they believe they don't deserve better.

Obviously if you come from a poor, isolated rural community where the cultural level of the people is not very high or the options for work or self development are almost non existant it is hard to have faith in you or the country, and obviously if you move to a big city within the country you will have to face hardships, like having to move to a poor and remote area in the city that can be dangerous, and you would have to work a lot for a few pennies, but you are in your country, you have rights, you can apply for economic aid, you can send your kids to public schools or go to one yourself, even a poor person with not much skills or educations can be succesful if they have faith although it will take a lot of effort.

But imho going to the USA illegaly, having to leave in fear of being deported, accepting to work in subhumane conditions with no rights for a few pennies and having to live in a crammed apartment with 12 people is worse than the other option but somehow people believe that it isn't. Maybe because the handouts and welfare system in Mexico is designed to help people who are helping themselves, for example the aid that poor families receive in Mexico depends on whether their children are studying or not, and many other factors.

for those interested in knowing more about the Mexican welfare system you should check: http://www.oportunidades.gob.mx/Wn_English/index.html

That said I love my country and I'm really proud and feel lucky to have been born there, I love that Mexico has always been a peaceful country that doesn't believe in war as a way to solving conflicts, I love that the people is friendly and welcoming, I love my culture because we Mexicans love color, life, parties and all the things that make life good, I could go on forever with the things that I love from Mexico hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Nice to see you back, Travelling Fella! And your words make great sense - but I also do believe I have never seen a harder working group of people than Mexicano's, both here and in the USA..I think too with all the changes Pres. Calderon is trying to initiate that before long there *will* be a brighter future in Mexico for Mexicanos!
Hey Sarah thank you very much I also have faith in Mexico, you know? things are much better now than 30 years ago, when there was no democracy in Mexico or freedom of speech, or we have to face economic meltdowns every 6 years at least.

Now the country has economic stability, a booming middle class, democracy, and things are getting better even with the challenges that we are facing right now.

I think the biggest and most important change though should come from inside, every Mexican needs to have more faith in the country and ourselves that lack of faith has always been Mexico's biggest weakness and the source of many of our problems imho

regards and nice sunday to everybody

Last edited by Travelling fella; 05-17-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,416,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
You should feel proud for defending what was right at such a young age Jdubs, thanks to people like you the world is a fairer place now you have my respect for that.

I believe that it all comes down to faith, imho people who leave the country do not have faith in the country or themselves, the same with people who have kids at such a young age, i believe they auto sabotage themselves because they believe they don't deserve better.

Obviously if you come from a poor, isolated rural community where the cultural level of the people is not very high or the options for work or self developtment are almost non existant it is hard to have faith in you or the country, and obviously if you move to a big city within the country you will have to face hardships, like having to move to a poor and remote area in the city that can be dangerous, and you would have to work a lot for a few pennies, but you are in your country, you have rights, you can apply for economic aid, you can send your kids to public schools or go to one yourself, even a poor person with not much skills or educations can be succesful if they have faith although it will take a lot of effort.

But imho going to the USA illegaly, having to leave in fear of being deported, accepting to work in subhumane conditions with no rights for a few pennies and having to live in a crammed apartment with 12 people is worse than the other option but somehow people believe that it isn't. Maybe because the handouts and welfare system in Mexico is designed to help people who are helping themselves, for example the aid that poor families receive in Mexico depends on whether their children are studying or not, and many other factors.

for those interested in knowing more about the Mexican welfare system you should check: SEDESOL - Oportunidades

That said I love my country and I'm really proud and feel lucky to have been born there, I love that Mexico has always been a peaceful country that doesn't believe in war as a way to solving conflicts, I love that the people is friendly and welcoming, I love my culture because we Mexicans love color, life, parties and all the things that make life good, I could go on forever with the things that I love from Mexico hehehe.

Hey Sarah thank you very much I also have faith in Mexico, you know? things are much better now than 30 years ago, when there was no democracy in Mexico or freedom of speech, or we have to face economic meltdowns every 6 years at least.

Now the country has economic stability, a booming middle class, democracy, and things are getting better even with the challenges that we are facing right now.

I think the biggest and most important change though should come from inside, every Mexican needs to have more faith in the country and ourselves that lack of faith has always been Mexico's biggest weakness and the source of many of our problems imho

regards and nice sunday to everybody
ITA. It does indeed come down to faith in yourself and whatever higher power you subscribe to. Far too many (of this generation in particular) on both sides of the border have yet to realize that nothing in life worth having comes easy and if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything.

Great post!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
ITA. It does indeed come down to faith in yourself and whatever higher power you subscribe to. Far too many (of this generation in particular) on both sides of the border have yet to realize that nothing in life worth having comes easy and if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything.

Great post!
Thanks Jdubs

That is indeed the key! Most of the current world problems come from the lack of spirituality, people are giving too much importance to material things, , posessions, appeareance, status and other useless junk.

People also give way too much importance to nationality or ethnicity but they do this because they don't know better, our societies are constantly flooding us with dumb and shallow messages.

And also most of us are way to absorbed in our egoes, we care and think only about me, me and myself, or my family this is pretty limiting and it reduces the soul to a mere ego full of weaknesses, desires and limitations.

Most people live their lifes in this way, they are born, then they start going to school, after some time they will start working and they will marry and will then have kids, they will spend their entire life accumulating material posessions, and sometimes they will relax going to the movies or to a party and this will continue until the end of their days.

But have you ever thought that living your life in such a way reduces the greatness of a human being to a mere automaton, just a food fueled machine.

Human beings are the only living beings capable of questioning their existence and their origin, and they are the only living beings capable of actively seeking that source, which is nothing else but love, light and fulfillment.

Why doing good things makes one feel good?
Why thinking good things make some one feel inner peace?
Why does love feel so good?

Because spirit is nothing else but Truth and Righteousness, when we act in this way we connect with the source, with the true goal that is perfection, eternity, love,light, wisdom, fulfillment.

Anything else is just a temporary illusion imho.

If the problems of the world are going to be solved, it will be because the hearts of all people will become one, Love is the light that will dissolve all the barriers between people families and nations

Last edited by Travelling fella; 05-17-2009 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jdubs

Quote:
That is indeed the key! Most of the current world problems come from the lack of spirituality, people are giving too much importance to material things, , posessions, appeareance, status and other useless junk.
I couldn't agree more. Health, family and peace of mind are more important than any of the things that too many people tend to "worship" in the world today.

People also give way too much importance to nationality or ethnicity but they do this because they don't know better, our societies are constantly flooding us with dumb and shallow messages.
Agreed. The dumbing down has occurred globally.

Quote:
And also most of us are way to absorbed in our egoes, we care and think only about me, me and myself, or my family this is pretty limiting and it reduces the soul to a mere ego full of weaknesses, desires and limitations.

Most people live their lifes in this way, they are born, then they start going to school, after some time they will start working and they will marry and will then have kids, they will spend their entire life accumulating material posessions, and sometimes they will relax going to the movies or to a party and this will continue until the end of their days.

But have you ever thought that living your life in such a way reduces the greatness of a human being to a mere automaton, just a food fueled machine. Human beings are the only living beings capable of questioning their existence and their origin, and they are the only living beings capable of actively seeking that source, which is nothing else but love, light and fulfillment.

Why doing good things makes one feel good?
Why thinking good things make some one feel inner peace?
Why does love feel so good?

Because spirit is nothing else but Truth and Righteousness, when we act in this way we connect with the source, with the true goal that is perfection, eternity, love,light, wisdom, fulfillment.

Anything else is just a temporary illusion imho.

If the problems of the world are going to be solved, it will be because the hearts of all people will become one, Love is the light that will dissolve all the barriers between people families and nations
Once again we are on the same page. It's amazing how technology has advanced while humankind continues to regress. It is also unfortunate that it will only get worse.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,658 times
Quote:
Agreed. The dumbing down has occurred globally.

Once again we are on the same page. It's amazing how technology has advanced while humankind continues to regress. It is also unfortunate that it will only get worse.
Very wise words... I agree it really is rather tragic - but I do believe that as more people look for answers and more consciousness' are raised perhaps it might not get worse, in fact it may actually get better. Sharing on these forums is one small way that can happen..

Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Very wise words... I agree it really is rather tragic - but I do believe that as more people look for answers and more consciousness' are raised perhaps it might not get worse, in fact it may actually get better. Sharing on these forums is one small way that can happen..
I agree 100%

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I sincerely hope you're right because globally, things are definitely moving in the wrong direction. To some degree conversing on forums such as this can be positive, but only if both parties are able to hear each other as opposed to simply listening and dismissing the sound of the other person's voice.

Hopefully we haven't run out of time. If not time will tell though, won't it?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I sincerely hope you're right because globally, things are definitely moving in the wrong direction. To some degree conversing on forums such as this can be positive, but only if both parties are able to hear each other as opposed to simply listening and dismissing the sound of the other person's voice.

Hopefully we haven't run out of time. If not time will tell though, won't it?
I believe that we humans will never find perfection in this world, because if it were so then there would be no point in aspiring for something higher.

Quote:
The darkness of ignorance is: holding that which is unenduring, impure, full of pain, not the Soul, to be eternal, pure, full of joy, the Soul.

Yoga Sutras/Book II - Wikisource

The rules of this world are: Duality, Impermanence and Imperfection, it will be always like that, things keep changing over time alternating between eras of light and darkness.

Yet right now we are in the ascending phase, even if it doesn't seem so with all the problems we are currently facing, just let's think about how were things before, when slavery was much more common, women couldn't vote, discrimination was ok and wars, disease and famine decimated the world's population.

When the insanity of the world becomes overwhelming I always go inside and remember the eternal truths contained in the ancient art of soul union known as Yoga.

1. OM: Here follows Instruction in Union.
2. Union, spiritual consciousness, is gained through control of the versatile psychic nature.
3. Then the Seer comes to consciousness in his proper nature.
4. Heretofore the Seer has been enmeshed in the activities of the psychic nature.
5. The psychic activities are five; they are either subject or not subject to the five hindrances (Book II, 3).
6. These activities are: Sound intellection, unsound intellection, predication, sleep, memory.
7. The elements of sound intellection are: direct observation, inductive reason, and trustworthy testimony.
8. Unsound intellection is false understanding, not resting on a perception of the true nature of things.
9. Predication is carried on through words or thoughts not resting on an object perceived.
10. Sleep is the psychic condition which rests on mind states, all material things being absent.
11. Memory is holding to mind-images of things perceived, without modifying them.
12. The control of these psychic activities comes through the right use of the will, and through ceasing from self- indulgence.
13. The right use of the will is the steady, effort to stand in spiritual being.
14. This becomes a firm resting-place, when followed long, persistently, with earnestness.
15. Ceasing from self-indulgence is con- scious mastery over the thirst for sensuous pleasure here or hereafter.
16. The consummation of this is freedom from thirst for any mode of psychical activity, through the establishment of the spiritual man.

Book II

1. The practices which make for union with the Soul are: fervent aspiration, spiritual reading, and complete obedience to the Master.
2. Their aim is, to bring soul-vision, and to wear away hindrances.
3. These are the hindrances: the darkness of unwisdom, self-assertion, lust hate, attachment.

Yoga Sutras - Wikisource

Love and lighty

Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I believe that we humans will never find perfection in this world, because if it were so then there would be no point in aspiring for something higher.
Agreed. As human beings we are imperfect. Therefore for any of us to expect to live in a perfect world is naive at best, foolish at worst. There is always room for improvement and greater achievements.

Yoga Sutras/Book II - Wikisource

The rules of this world are: Duality, Impermanence and Imperfection, it will be always like that, things keep changing over time alternating between eras of light and darkness.

Yet right now we are in the ascending phase, even if it doesn't seem so with all the problems we are currently facing, just let's think about how were things before, when slavery was much more common, women couldn't vote, discrimination was ok and wars, disease and famine decimated the world's population.

When the insanity of the world becomes overwhelming I always go inside and remember the eternal truths contained in the ancient art of soul union known as Yoga.

1. OM: Here follows Instruction in Union.
2. Union, spiritual consciousness, is gained through control of the versatile psychic nature.
3. Then the Seer comes to consciousness in his proper nature.
4. Heretofore the Seer has been enmeshed in the activities of the psychic nature.
5. The psychic activities are five; they are either subject or not subject to the five hindrances (Book II, 3).
6. These activities are: Sound intellection, unsound intellection, predication, sleep, memory.
7. The elements of sound intellection are: direct observation, inductive reason, and trustworthy testimony.
8. Unsound intellection is false understanding, not resting on a perception of the true nature of things.
9. Predication is carried on through words or thoughts not resting on an object perceived.
10. Sleep is the psychic condition which rests on mind states, all material things being absent.
11. Memory is holding to mind-images of things perceived, without modifying them.
12. The control of these psychic activities comes through the right use of the will, and through ceasing from self- indulgence.
13. The right use of the will is the steady, effort to stand in spiritual being.
14. This becomes a firm resting-place, when followed long, persistently, with earnestness.
15. Ceasing from self-indulgence is con- scious mastery over the thirst for sensuous pleasure here or hereafter.
16. The consummation of this is freedom from thirst for any mode of psychical activity, through the establishment of the spiritual man.

Book II

1. The practices which make for union with the Soul are: fervent aspiration, spiritual reading, and complete obedience to the Master.
2. Their aim is, to bring soul-vision, and to wear away hindrances.
3. These are the hindrances: the darkness of unwisdom, self-assertion, lust hate, attachment.

Yoga Sutras - Wikisource

Love and lighty
[/quote]

#8 is my favorite. Thanks for sharing those.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Agreed. As human beings we are imperfect. Therefore for any of us to expect to live in a perfect world is naive at best, foolish at worst. There is always room for improvement and greater achievements.
#8 is my favorite. Thanks for sharing those.
You are welcome my friend I'm glad you liked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico