Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 36,374 times

Advertisements

i was reading about mexico and i read that some people insult the native people of mexico by calling them "indians" which is supposed to be offensive. i read that some people dont like the native people because they are poor and mostly speak their native languages and dont speak spanish very well

is there discrimination in mexico against the natives? is there discrimination in mexico against the whites, mestizos, jews, and others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,180 times
Mexicans discriminate against Mexicans. The lighter skinned Mexicans are seen at the top of the socio-economic ladder. to refer to someone as an Indian is considered an insult.

Keep in mine, they discriminate amongst themselves, but if they come here and we (white people) so much as utter the word "Mexican" we're accused of discrimination, but its openly accepted in their country.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM

136 posts, read 300,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Mexicans discriminate against Mexicans. The lighter skinned Mexicans are seen at the top of the socio-economic ladder. to refer to someone as an Indian is considered an insult.

Keep in mine, they discriminate amongst themselves, but if they come here and we (white people) so much as utter the word "Mexican" we're accused of discrimination, but its openly accepted in their country.
When I was in the Navy, I found the same to be true of Peruvians, using the term "indio" in a derogatory manner.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,862 times
Yes that´s is what it is ... In any country, even USA there´s discrimination.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Yes, of all the countries I've visited USA and Spain are the worst in discrimination

Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Default Why an insult? Confusing....

I have a Mexican who has been renting a room from me for 10 years. I've learned my lesson well about using the word Indian.

One time, as a compliment, I mentioned his Indian blood, and I'll never, ever do that again!!! I'm just glad there wasn't a knife lying around somewhere!!

What a shame!! Why would any Mexican take pride in their Spanish blood over their Indian blood is totally baffling to me.

My roommate works long hours outdoors in this hot summer weather here in Las Vegas, long-sleeved pants and shirts, in 110+ degree temps. I have encouraged him to wear something cooler, but his response: I don't want to end up looking like a Negro.

Yes, I've heard it before. The whiter your skin, the furthur you go in all the 20+ latin American countries. Even the Phillipines.

I work with Philipino's at work and you're not going to catch them lying in the sun either.

Keep that skin as white as possible!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have a Mexican who has been renting a room from me for 10 years. I've learned my lesson well about using the word Indian.

One time, as a compliment, I mentioned his Indian blood, and I'll never, ever do that again!!! I'm just glad there wasn't a knife lying around somewhere!!

What a shame!! Why would any Mexican take pride in their Spanish blood over their Indian blood is totally baffling to me.

My roommate works long hours outdoors in this hot summer weather here in Las Vegas, long-sleeved pants and shirts, in 110+ degree temps. I have encouraged him to wear something cooler, but his response: I don't want to end up looking like a Negro.

Yes, I've heard it before. The whiter your skin, the furthur you go in all the 20+ latin American countries. Even the Phillipines.

I work with Philipino's at work and you're not going to catch them lying in the sun either.

Keep that skin as white as possible!

Yes, I noticed the same thing, knew some upper class Mexicans, they would wear long sleeve and pants in Acapulco so they wouldn't darken up Sad

Old 07-22-2009, 04:42 PM

508 posts, read 1,021,802 times
Thats weird... i mean my mom is just the opposite (american born... northwest raised) she is always super upset when people call her mexican... she gets all defensive and says that her family wasnt "bred" with the spanish...

I dont even get all that craziness anyway... cosmo says tan people look thinner he he he he he he he he he (bad joke)

Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,753 times
Post Los indios en Méjico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
i was reading about mexico and i read that some people insult the native people of mexico by calling them "indians" which is supposed to be offensive. i read that some people dont like the native people because they are poor and mostly speak their native languages and dont speak spanish very well

is there discrimination in mexico against the natives? is there discrimination in mexico against the whites, mestizos, jews, and others?
First off I'd like to remind you that discrimination exists in every single country in this world. Although certain groups in certain countries do experience harsher discriminations.
In Mexico, AFAIK, the Indians (indios or indígenas) are the group that get most (negative) discrimination, and the use of the word indio is comparable to the n-word in America.
I won't judge the Mexicans because of this. This mindset has its roots in centuries of history. Hopefully the attitude will change in the future, although I doubt it'll happen significantly within the next generation. Something that goes back for centuries cannot be changed within a generation or two. Not to mention the lack of "open racism" as in the US which impedes implementations of something comparable to the Civil Rights Movement.

Regards

Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I've heard about issues Mexicans of Black African descent have had there too. I believe most live on the coasts and in places like Veracruz and the Costa Chica region. Here's more on that history in Mexico: Black Mexicans see pride in lost history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico