Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 PM

50 posts, read 193,215 times

Advertisements

hi i was just wondering and i was wondering what types of entertainment there were there? i know in nuevo laredo there was a zoo and some nice bars/clubs as well as a nice swimming area..but what is there to do in reynosa and is it really green? or just a bit like nuevo laredo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,159 times
I see N.Laredo prettier than Reynosa.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:05 AM

409 posts, read 2,634,052 times
Reynosa is great! I lived there for a while and it was good. I cant tell you of anything special about the city, but its pretty quiet. It used to have a lot of nightclubs and bars. Reynosa's bars and night clubs would get people from all over Texas. I remember partying with many college students from all over the place. I even saw many high schoolers around.

Today, it is not the same. There are only a handfull of places to go during the night. The City is pretty much "controlled" by "some unknown force" . But hey, you can always go to McAllen TX to have a good time. Even if you are from Reynosa.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:23 PM

137 posts, read 142,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDezi View Post
Today, it is not the same. There are only a handfull of places to go during the night. The City is pretty much "controlled" by "some unknown force" . But hey, you can always go to McAllen TX to have a good time. Even if you are from Reynosa.
I know it's qualitatively bad now, but can someone help quantify it?
Quote:
her home is less than a mile from the most dangerous Mexican border city, which has a higher murder rate than many war zones.

Reynosa has been caught in the bloody vortex of a cartel war since 2010, which has cost the lives of more than 15,000 people

The grip of gang violence is so bad on Reynosa, which has a population 600,000, that 950 murders were committed in 2013 - a rate of 150 killings per 100,000. In comparison, across Iraq in 2012, the homicide rate was eight per 100,000.

‘The cartels pay a bounty of $20,000 for a US border agent, dead or alive’, a reporter in Tamaulipas, who wished to remain anonymous because of fears of retribution, told MailOnline. ‘As the business of trafficking drugs gets harder, the cartels are willing to take more and more extreme steps to move their product into the United States’.

‘I would never cross the border into Mexico, it’s unbelievably dangerous over there’, Olissa said.

After dark the streets are empty, except for pistol-toting cartel lookouts whispering into their radios.

Suehay has family in Reynosa and used to visit regularly. However, since her uncle was murdered by cartel killers three years ago after speaking out against the violence, she says she has been too terrified to go back. ‘You gamble with your life every time you cross the border’, she told MailOnline. ‘I worry so much about my family but there’s nothing I can do’.

The US State Department warns against all-but essential travel to the Mexican state of Tamaulipas.

‘The cartel armies number in their thousands’, said the Tamaulipas reporter, ‘and they’re fighting a war with anyone who gets in their way.' More than 600,000 federal crimes were reported in Tamaulipas state last year. There is a daily average of 6.8 homicides, 40% of which are concentrated in Reynosa. Some 2,500 people are murdered in the state annually. On the day MailOnline visited Reynosa, four murders were committed. Two victims were 18-year-old girls who had been kidnapped, raped and then forced to consume rat poison.
Is it really this bad, or is this a bit sensationalized? Like, would it even be remotely safe enough to fly into for a business trip, just mostly staying in a hotel?

Or is it just better to NOT EVEN SET FOOT IN THIS TOWN???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico