Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times

Advertisements

Did go back and try to watch the video. Maybe it's me and my lack of computer knowledge...one sec of sound and then three secs of pause...got bored half way thru and quit.

Income info is two yrs old. People seem dressed well for the low income. Nice late model cars and trucks in the bacground. Do not think those with a $3000 a yr income can afford a $20,000 vehicle. Somebodys got the money or things are sold a lot lower down there.

Wages are low and so are the prices of many things accordingly...otherwise there would be no business.

Low wages...low rent. Raise the wages and rent and cost of living will also rise. Whats the diff?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 PM

25,802 posts, read 18,848,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
it's interesting to see that nobody said anything about the video
In the video, there is the (para)phrase, 'they come across the border and do the jobs that our citizens won't do,' spoken by the human rights woman (in Mexico). Interesting how familiar that phrase is here in the US!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,563,358 times
Mexico may not be the worst place in the world to be an illegal immigrant..but it's pretty tough, and CERTAINLY illegals in Mexico enjoy nothing of the 'rights' or protections afforded illegals here in the States. They have no "lobby" in the government, there are no politicians "afraid" of them, and they are expressly forbidden to 'agitate' or attempt to influence government (so, to a certain degree, are LEGAL aliens residing in Mexico. 'Interfering', by a non-citizen in the public forum can be a quick ticket to deportation).

Mexico may not exactly be a 'North Korea' in its treatment of illegals, but it's hardly 'nice' to them either...and the irony of that situation can become a little striking, when the Mexican government makes one of its periodic demands that Mexicans in the USA be 'treated well', regardless of their legality...and when it rails against any planned...or even DISCUSSED... enforcement of border security on the part of the US. Mexico, as a government, does seem to take WAY more interest on our (U.S.) dealings with illegal immigration, than we take in THEIR dealings with their own illegals.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 PM

48 posts, read 134,485 times
Travelling Fella
I, too, am surprised no one commented on that video as it sure showed what is really going on. Thanks for that show of truth! Bless you.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
I would guess Mexico would crack down even more if most of those Central Americans weren't headed straight over to the USA. If we enforced our southern border, Mexico would certainly be enforcing it's southern border more forcefully.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Wages are low and so are the prices of many things accordingly...otherwise there would be no business.

Low wages...low rent. Raise the wages and rent and cost of living will also rise. Whats the diff?

Steve

That's true. Incomes in the USA are higher but so is the cost of living and the taxes in the USA are far far more than in Guatemala and those other countries.

Illegals with few job skills can work for very little in the USA, $8,000 a year could seem like a lot of money but there are those doing seasonal work in the USA who make no more than that but here no one can support a family on that kind of money.

Without food stamps, free health care and government housing, the wages the illegals are eager to accept would be impossible to live on.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,773 times
Without food stamps, free health care and government housing, the wages the illegals are eager to accept would be impossible to live on.

This is a false premise.

Illegal workers to earn at least $ 400 per week if they send 100 of those dollars to his family in their origin country and stay with them for $300, then have a better life that in their country and help those left behind.

Not all illegal workers take advantage of the system, because they dont know how.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
Do not think the pro mexican knowledged here live any where near the border of Mexico/Guatamala to give any expert opinion of the treatment of the questionable illegals from Guatamala be what they may be in any numbers.

Talk is CHEAP and comes easy to many unknowledged.

Would like to see/hear any personal proof other the conjecture expressed...but wait...it is easier to blab about what is reportably true from reading the newspaper or watching the boob tube videos.

I can talk all day about something that I know absolutely nothing about...then again there are some people already doing that for me...darn it....I missed the latest news bulletin on the boob tube about Chiapas...guess I'll go back to playing with my dolls.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,542,986 times
Quote:
I watched, but what's there to say? It seems to validate the opinion that the Mexican government is hypocritical when it complains of U.S. immigration policy as it relates to its citizens.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

54 posts, read 209,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ive also heard that it's very difficult to become a naturalized Mexican citizen unless you marry one. Non citizens also can't own land as well.
Marriage does not affect the naturalization process in Mexico. You still have to do 5 years on an FM2. Also, non-citizens can own all the land they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico