Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM

118 posts, read 485,976 times

Advertisements

I completely agree and thank you for sharing. There have been many times that I cried coming back to the U.S. where you don't know you're neighbors. The beauty of Mexico really lies in the generosity of the people. If someone's getting married the entire community donates something toward the wedding whether it be a beautiful mutli-tiered cake, chairs, or the wedding dress. Try getting a U.S. community to do something like this. There is just simply sooooo much life there and everyone enjoys it. It doesn't matter if you're poor or rich. If I had enough $$, I'd leave this country so fast for Mexico it would make your head spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayana9 View Post
I love, love, love, all the festivities in Mexico. I am from Veracruz, and I love the fact that there is always some kind of celebration to stop everything in town at least once a month! The fact that ppl take time to enjoy life and family and friends, have some beers, dance a bit and stay up until the next day partying it up!!

I love the food! I love the variety of all the food, from all the stews, or arroz a la tumbada, to the frintangas (all the fried yummy food) the different kind of tacos.... oooh i could go on and on!!

The whole environment is just so laid back and relaxing, i just visited my father in cancun and the first night i was there a neighbor of theirs came over with four big empanadas de minilla for me, i thought it was nice of her and that is how ppl are over there! she had never met me but wanted to welcome me with some food lol.

I went to visit my family in Veracruz for Christmas and my husband was so amazed when i told him that my uncle lived in a house made out of sticks and his floors were just made of dirt that was pressed down, and he was poor. the reason that hubs was shocked was because my uncle and his wife showed up at the house were we were staying on various occasions in the early morning to cook us some food and fry up some fish for us. I love how giving and hospitable the people are even when they really don't have much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM

118 posts, read 485,976 times
Something else I love about Mexico. The candy!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness there's a big Mexican community here otherwise I'd go crazy.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 PM

69 posts, read 333,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Something else I love about Mexico. The candy!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness there's a big Mexican community here otherwise I'd go crazy.

Yes I love the candy!! when my hubs visits with me he is always at the store!! u know everyone has their little store lol there's always like 3 little stores on each block!! well, he was amazed at how good all the little cupcakes and sweet breads were, he thought it was amazing quality for being store bought.... and then, there's the bakeries!!! yummy!!!! flan, budin, pastel de tres leches... and conchas....

my half sister just had her 15th birthday last month, and they weren't going to have a big party for her but all the family and neighbors said they would all pay for something and let her have a big party! well, there was 400 ppl at the party and they paid for everything from the balloons, to the dress, the hall, the cake, every last bit was paid for by the many ppl that decided to help. it turned out being a $9000 dollar party, amazing what ppl can do when they decide to get together and really work with each other!!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 PM

23,270 posts, read 29,128,134 times
Default Don't just blame the media

Big question: Why aren't Americans exercising their intelligence and intuition to overlook all the negative media?

Even the Americans who have been victims of muggings, carjackings, assault & battery, burglary and stolen vehicles in their own communities here will be erroneously thinking: Gee! If it's getting that bad here, it must be 10 times worse in Mexico or Central America.

Many Americans are even too scared to travel to various points in their own country. Just look at the Travel Forums: Will I be safe here or there? It isn't dangerous?

And yes, the illegals could play a factors with some of them. They're angry at their prescence here, and go about punishing the tourism industry in Mexico for it.

But for those, like myself, who like to travel without worrying about making a hotel reservation, it can be a blessing.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM

64 posts, read 339,669 times
The thing about tourism is that Mexico needs much more than tourism to be economically stable. Where I'm living is the capital city, and it really cares nothing for its inhabitants. Shouldn't more options and job opportunities be available to people other than the tourist industry?

One meets so many Mexicans who went to the US for work, but ultimately returned home. They have no desire to abandon their homeland, but get frustrated by having to work so hard here for so little reward.

And Tijlover, you make an excellent point. Of course if people started thinking for themselves and asking hard questions, most of our politicians would be turned out of office the next day.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Big question: Why aren't Americans exercising their intelligence and intuition to overlook all the negative media?

Even the Americans who have been victims of muggings, carjackings, assault & battery, burglary and stolen vehicles in their own communities here will be erroneously thinking: Gee! If it's getting that bad here, it must be 10 times worse in Mexico or Central America.

Many Americans are even too scared to travel to various points in their own country. Just look at the Travel Forums: Will I be safe here or there? It isn't dangerous?

And yes, the illegals could play a factors with some of them. They're angry at their prescence here, and go about punishing the tourism industry in Mexico for it.

But for those, like myself, who like to travel without worrying about making a hotel reservation, it can be a blessing.
The illegals are the ones who paint the most terrible pictures about Mexico, and provide much of the negative images of it. They claim that people in Mexico are starving to death, that they would starve to death. They paint Mexico as the land of no opportunity and insist they must be allowed to stay in the USA to improve themselves.

When millions of people leave and try to justify leaving their country with how horrible it is, many Americans get an image of that country that isn't true.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,051,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The illegals are the ones who paint the most terrible pictures about Mexico, and provide much of the negative images of it. They claim that people in Mexico are starving to death, that they would starve to death. They paint Mexico as the land of no opportunity and insist they must be allowed to stay in the USA to improve themselves.

When millions of people leave and try to justify leaving their country with how horrible it is, many Americans get an image of that country that isn't true.
I'm sure you have encountered people with this mentality. However, we are talking about the media and I highly doubt that the media listens to what the illegal immigrants have to say.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,988,246 times
Funny thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM

754 posts, read 1,924,927 times
I don't remember a time when Mexico didn't have bad publicity. I love the place and continue to visit and take my children - who also love it!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM

65 posts, read 327,041 times
To all Americans, come to Mexico, it is a great place to visit, of course there is danger, of course there are way too many things that need to be improved, but we are not starving to death (at least not all of us) and fortunatelly (don't know if this is spelled right), a great amount of us, mexicans, are awakening and demanding our governmet to do things right, we are preparing to be better citizens, more prepared, more concious of things surrounding us, we are getting tired of corruption and trying to stop it, just giving our two cents worth.

I don't know the media in the USA, since I have never been there, but let me tell you, not everything is bad and there's a lot things going on correctly and fun and full of life and passion, I once wanted to go to the USA to work legally as a teacher, but I decided to do something better for my country and stayed instead.

So come on people from USA, visit my country, we are always glad to see americans walking on our streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico