Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 42,236 times

Advertisements

Hi;

I just got involved in the tread, how great Mexico is,
and look :

8/24/2009 ATM/POS ATM 009451 H S B C GUADALAJARA, ##9384 xxxxxxxxxxxx ($287.42) $4.99

almost 300 bucks gone from my checking account, needless to say,
I did not use my ATM card on August 24th, my card is in my walet .

I used this particular ATM machine twice, on July 27, and 30th .
After that, nada .

I called my bank in US, she told me
1. those are devices, which record number of the card and pin .
2. she will cancel my ATM card
3. She will send new one to American address
4. she will send letter, to American address, with claim etc,
I need sign it and return it .

All of the above is going to help me great deal , right .

I think, I was lucky, I did not have any more money in this account .

Just sent payments out, took money out in July,
and few days shy from direct deposit of my
monthly income .

Does anything like this happen to anybody ?

Do you know explanation of it ?

If not , be careful, I am living proof it can happen .

At the moment, I found out about it yesterday, I do not have any
idea, how "careful" should look like .

I traveled to 40+ countries, on all 5 continents ....

Mexico why ?

e.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 PM

972 posts, read 3,926,773 times
It´s just bad luck, take it easy

Old 08-28-2009, 04:28 PM

69 posts, read 333,552 times
I once panicked about missing money from my account but after doing the math it turned out that it was me that took the money out but the bank statement for some reason didn't record it until a couple of weeks later. I noticed it when I was back home and knew i didn't take money out because it was the day i was flying back home.

sorry to hear that happened to you though...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM

30 posts, read 42,236 times
Ayana9, this is what I was thinking, what happened , but not, I check everything,
my accounting is not so complicated .
thanks for the input
e

Old 08-29-2009, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 24,858 times
Wow I will be very careful on using my credit cards, I'm living in Mexico now... Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM

15 posts, read 89,836 times
There is very little security for your credit cards in Mexico, including bank ATM cards etc. I used a credit card to pay for cable TV and sure enough, after several months I started to see unauthorized charges.

Talk to your credit card company. You can put security flags on your account. Stuff like not authorized for charges in Mexico City, stuff like that.

Also, you can get anything reversed that was not authorized. You have to be timely in your communication, complete all documents and return them. You'll be taken care of. The credit card companies and the banks realize that dealing with Mexico is a pain in the A and so they are used to dealing with these issues.

Changing your credit card number every three to six months helps a lot too. The companies will do this at your request, same is true for ATM cards.

Get street smart regarding this stuff. Don't be a "babe in the woods," because that is what will hurt. Learn the procedures for dealing with these issues and get good at it. Don't worry, stay on top of things and you'll win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico