Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times

Advertisements

Have been to Urapan and the area is beautiful (Green) with nice clean air.

As to the other place I have been too is Cuernavaca (mid way between Mexico City and Acapulco). Ex wife had a weekend house there that we went to frequently.

The Cuernavaca is known as "The city with Eternal Spring" as the weather and temp show that.

That being said I ended up just below Rosarito in Baja with Southern Calif warm weather and close proximity to the border and medical needs.

Cool fresh air with NO humidity or smog to contend with...warm sunny days and 14,000 Americans agree with me on this area.

Sounds like a PR post but anyone living here would answer the same.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
As of early this afternoon, the coolest daytime temperatures in Mexico are in the low 70s around Mexico City area, and also at Comitan, near the Guatemala border. Also about 70 at Cozumel and at Ensenada, near San Diego CA.

You can check regularly at this site:

Mexico : Weather Underground

If you'd like to stay fairly close to the border, Saltillo has a very nice climate. Winters, daytime highs in the 60s-70s, and summers usually low to mid 80s. About 250 miles west of Brownsville or south of Laredo, but up at Denver's mile-high elevation. Very nice, pretty, prosperous city. Mexico's only ski lodge is about 20 miles out of town.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-05-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,438 times
Thumbs down Cost of Living

Sounds nice -- and I'd like to be near the border -- but what is the cost of living like in Baja (esp. near border) compared to the rest of Mexico? I really want nice weather but my main reason for moving to MX is financial. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Have been to Urapan and the area is beautiful (Green) with nice clean air.

As to the other place I have been too is Cuernavaca (mid way between Mexico City and Acapulco). Ex wife had a weekend house there that we went to frequently.

The Cuernavaca is known as "The city with Eternal Spring" as the weather and temp show that.

That being said I ended up just below Rosarito in Baja with Southern Calif warm weather and close proximity to the border and medical needs.

Cool fresh air with NO humidity or smog to contend with...warm sunny days and 14,000 Americans agree with me on this area.

Sounds like a PR post but anyone living here would answer the same.

Steve

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Cost of living is based upon the Mexican income thus an American with US wages could live very well.

Rent would be $300 a month and up depending on your choice of area and bldg./apt etc.

Most places are not exactly beautiful depending on your taste

A condo above me on a slop was vacant for a long time that rented for $500 a month. They only had a large banner and never advertised to the best of my knowledge. Not sure if it was furnished or not. That may be a problem for you.

Utilities are CHEAP compared to US.

NO Visa is needed to live from Ensenada to the border.

A US Passport would be needed in some cases.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:54 PM

29 posts, read 73,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
San Cristobal de las Casas is indeed cool. I was there with a family from Tabasco in March and it got very cold at night. Combine that with the lack of heating (heating - in cold areas - and air conditioning - in hot areas are not universal as they are in the U.S.) and the high elevation, and you're in for some rather frigid, "thin-air" nights there.

Because it is in the tropics, too, the annual temperature spread is not pronounced, so it's not much warmer in July than it is in March.

I would also add Toluca to the list of cool cities; they've usually been the coldest city in Mexico in recent days. Also Tijuana, for comfortable weather year-round without the acclimatization necessary for moving to a higher elevation (but the security there might be questionable, as it is a border town).

Mexico City is also a very comfortable climate, albeit high enough to require acclimatization if you're from a lower altitude.

In fact, Guatemala City, Tegucigalpa (Honduras), San Jose (Costa Rica), and Bogota are all situated at high elevations and have cooler climates than what their latitudes would portend.
I would agree that that Toluca is a good place for the cool weather..but i would prefer San Cristobal in Chiapas..and even better would be Comitan (a little further east that San Cristobal)..a lot less tourists, and very close to Mayan ruins, lagos, cascadas, etc...and is a lot cheaper too..

Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,881,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalisco View Post
I would agree that that Toluca is a good place for the cool weather..but i would prefer San Cristobal in Chiapas..and even better would be Comitan (a little further east that San Cristobal)..a lot less tourists, and very close to Mayan ruins, lagos, cascadas, etc...and is a lot cheaper too..
Chiapas is a pretty place to visit but not much of a retirement destination especially if one's Spanish skills are poor.

Toluca would be a good choice due to easy access to the capital and the rest of the country and much more affordable costs compared to DF, but not sure how enjoyable the climate would be to retirees. Do many retirees want a place where a heater and coats are needed almost every night of the year?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM

40 posts, read 67,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alance View Post
I moved to Mexico from Florida last March to escape the heat. I did intensive research to locate the ideal climate. I was looking for the most temperate climate - neither too hot in summer nor too cold in winter. In other words, I wanted a location where I did not need to spend any money for heating or cooling. I was also looking for a city that had an abundance of pure drinking water and did not require buying bottled water.

Coastal cities in Mexico are just as bad as Florida in dealing with heat and humidity. Cities in central (inland) Mexico over 6000 feet above sea level are too dry year around and can get quite cold in the winter. Four cities with temperate climates with an elevation of around 5000 feet fit my criteria: Xalapa, Oaxaca, Cuernavaca and Uruapan. All four cities offer "eternal Spring-like weather."

Upon further investigation, Xalapa is too humid with frequent fog and light drizzle. Oaxaca is too dry with an inadequate supply of water. Cuernavaca is too expensive with too many Americans and rich Mexicans and is too close to Mexico City.

Drum rolls, please. The most ideal climate in Mexico is in Uruapan in the state of Michoacan. Uruapan has an annual average temperature of 66 degrees F. with rain from June to September. The average daily temperature range is from 60 degrees at night to 75 degrees in the afternoon. The source of the Cupatitzio River from deep underground mountain springs begin within the city limits of Uruapan - providing pure mountain water. The city has a Hawaiian climate and is famous for its avocado and macadamia nut orchards. For a city of almost 300,000 people - it is one of the most inexpensive place to live in Mexico.
Hello! I just read your post (above) and was wondering if you are still in Uruapan? Are you retired or working? I am a 60 yo female and am looking for my forever place. uruapan sounds perfect but would a woman on her own be okay there??

Old 11-10-2017, 12:11 PM

252 posts, read 710,102 times
Cuernavaca

Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 PM

DITTO on Cuernavaca

Old 11-11-2017, 08:16 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
Maybe around Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, or Toluca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico