Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, say hello, and get some feedback as well.

I am in my early 30's, single, Mexican citizen who was raised in the US w/a CADD degree. I have frequented MX. often and can say that I honestly love it! For quite sometime now I have contemplated in possibly trying to give it a go and see what it would be like to live in Mty. N.L.

I have given this much thought and if I was to find a good opportunity(job) I would definitely gather my belongings and give it a shot. I believe this would be a great place to start seeing as how it is an industrial city/state along with it still being quite Americanized.

For those who live in Mty. do you believe it would be difficult to land a job with an Impresaria being bilingual or should I try to get something in the CADD field? Obviously pay is a big factor so I would appreciate any advice you are willing to offer. I would like to live in a nice home/loft atmosphere and occasionally go out for a quick bite and few drinks. I am by no means a party animal but seeing as how I would be new to the area I would like to get out and socialize.

I look forward to reading any advice you all are willing to offer.

Best regards,
Cesar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
The money factor will be a issue compared to that of the US...then again cost of living is also lower.

Have never been to Monterey or thast neck of the woods...just lived in Mexico City for three yrs (without working).

Heard more then once that any Mexican who was born or grew up in the US is AMERICANIZED and NOT a true Mexican regardless of blood. A person would have to LIVE in the country full time to qualify. Am only repeating what I was told many times.

As to your Drafting degree...would depend on a per need basis in MTY.

I would spend a week there and check out the Classified ads in the paper.

Mexico City has "El Universal" a large classified section paper.

Maybe you could work on the US side and live on the Mexico side.

If your satisfied with lower Mexico wages but love the Mexican atmosphere then I would go for it.

Chances of finding accommodations to your liking will be a problem based upon the Concrete block/Red brick in construction. I know that they do not measure properly even with Engineering plans in front of them. Being a Architect found this out while building my house here in Baja.

Major difficulty is with the workers having any smarts (no insult intended...just lack of knowledge).

Sometimes peace and contentment is worth more then the financiel gain.

I got my Architectual degree over 50 yrs ago and never used it (not enough money at the time).

I was a business owner for 36 yrs untill retirement to Baja Mexico.

Being young and single...why not...you might like it.

Steve

Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Money isn't everything and you're in a position to do it even if the pay isn't the same as the USA. I would do it just for the experience. You're a citizen of that country and you should want to know it. Just forget the money and get to know your country.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 PM

972 posts, read 3,926,554 times
As an industrial designer I can say that the market is limited in monterrey. Work if there is, but is generally paid less than expected. A lot of designers at companies like KBR enlist hoping to get a contract in Houston companies or elsewhere.

In your field of action I think 2 times before coming to Mexico to find work.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 AM

69 posts, read 239,353 times
Default Quality of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Money isn't everything and you're in a position to do it even if the pay isn't the same as the USA. I would do it just for the experience. You're a citizen of that country and you should want to know it. Just forget the money and get to know your country.
Economically you have less money but socially you are richer. But if you have less money then you are socially poorer.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 18,998 times
Well i´m living in Monterrey right now and off course there is a difference from USA, but is one of the most important cities in the mexican republican. Mexico D.F., Guadalajara and Monterrey are the best cities. if you want to see about jobs, cars and rent you can check the most important newspaper in Monterrey, the name is "El Norte" (google it)and you can search for rent prices, cars, business etc. Monterrey is ok....and you know what....what a beautiful girls!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico