Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:04 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

Bill and Melinda Gates have donated hundreds of millions of dollars to various charities throughout the word. Mr.Slim could literally pull Mexico into a 1st world country by himself, via clean water, paved roads, new schools, hospitals, etc; yet despite benefiting from a near 30 year monopoly, he has really done nothing for the down and out of his country. Now of course, he doesn't have to do anything, but seeing as he's the wealthiest person in the world, why wouldn't he?

I encourage all of the good people of Mexico to write their local newspapers and call in to various tv and radio programs bringing this very subject to light and also to organize rallies and protest to "encourage" Mr. Slim to help his own people out. Shame on his selfish greed!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
A few seconds checking Forbes and other financial info sites show that Carlos Slim has been doing and implementing the very thing you are talking about - donating money to help build infrastructure in Latin America and in Mexico. He has really done nothing? That's rather a broad and inaccurate statement. Please do a little fact checking before starting another 'slam Mexico' thread.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
We Mexicans are not as envious as to demand their money just for nothing

Old 03-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
A few seconds checking Forbes and other financial info sites show that Carlos Slim has been doing and implementing the very thing you are talking about - donating money to help build infrastructure in Latin America and in Mexico. He has really done nothing? That's rather a broad and inaccurate statement. Please do a little fact checking before starting another 'slam Mexico' thread.
Compare what Slim has done to what Bill Gates has done; it's not even close. Slim's a joke. He could immediately bring clean drinking water, stable electricity, new schools, etc. to every village in Mexico immediately, but instead he needs new yachts and private planes and you make excuses for him.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
We Mexicans are not as envious as to demand their money just for nothing
Actually, since he was given a complete monopoly at the expense of the good people of Mexico for nearly thirty years, I wouldn't say it is "for nothing." Again, he doesn't have to do anything, and by most accounts, he really isn't, but for crying out loud he's the richest man in the world!!! He himself could lift his people into first world status. Please write your newspapers and call tv and radio shows about this. Slim is a selfish greedy man.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:56 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Actually, since he was given a complete monopoly at the expense of the good people of Mexico for nearly thirty years, I wouldn't say it is "for nothing." Again, he doesn't have to do anything, and by most accounts, he really isn't, but for crying out loud he's the richest man in the world!!! He himself could lift his people into first world status. Please write your newspapers and call tv and radio shows about this. Slim is a selfish greedy man.

Wasn't given; He bought.

so I do not understand your bad opinion about Carlos Slim, I mean, you are mexican?

why demand on our behalf something we dont ask?

everyone must take responsibility for himself, we can not expect someone to come and solve our problems, either USA, Slim, the Virgin of Guadalupe or superman.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Wasn't given; He bought.

so I do not understand your bad opinion about Carlos Slim, I mean, you are mexican?

why demand on our behalf something we dont ask?

everyone must take responsibility for himself, we can not expect someone to come and solve our problems, either USA, Slim, the Virgin of Guadalupe or superman.
No one is demanding anything from anyone; but he is the richest man in the world!!!! The majority of villages in Mexico do not have clean drinking water, and many do not have proper electricity and schools. Why doesn't the richest man in the world, help out the poorest of his people? Instead he wants to buy more yachts and private planes. He doesn't have to help anyone, but the fact that he does not seem too interested in helping other people out speaks about how greedy and selfish he is. If public shame and embarrassment would prompt Slim to give aid to the poor of Mexico, then good. As of now Carlos Slim is very selfish and greedy. Shame on him!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Instead he wants to buy more yachts and private planes.
How many yachts does he already have, and how many more does he want to buy?

Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I might suggest that US tax law provides some incentives for Mr. Gates to donate a portion of his wealth to charitable enterprises. I have absolutely no idea if Mexican tax law provides similar incentives.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 PM

37 posts, read 142,964 times
I applaud Bill Gates. Slim runs a business, if he wanted to be in the non-profit business he would run one. Most of his fortune is tied on Wall Street and should ge sell it would bring investors to a panic, drive stock prices down, diminish his working capital. Mexico's issues go far beyond someone pouring in money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.