Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM

186 posts, read 611,889 times

Advertisements

I'm working on a video of Mexico City. I put together a teaser/test. Let me know what you think!

Mexico City Video Teaser on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/10417151 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times
Sorry...I lived in Mexico City and was not impressed with the footage. Scenes were too fast in movement...long/short shots with camera. You would have been better to film traffic below from a hotel room 3-4 floor. McDonalds looked familiar...may have been on the Periferico via looks of traffic. No doubt you were amazed with what you saw.

My first time there blew my mind with the complexity of the city. You should have taken a ride to TULA north of the city where the Aztec Pyramids and relics are. Now that would have been interesting to some viewers. Many tourists to the city are unaware of the Pyramids close by. Remember you tried and thats important.

Steve

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM

I didn't want to show the tourist areas of the city. Everyone who thinks of Mexico thinks of pyramids. Plus, this is a video of Mexico City, and the pyramids aren't technically in Mexico City. I wasn't amazed at what I saw. It's my hometown, and it's damn near impossible to be impressed by it. I was born there and lived there most of my life. It was wonderful to be back, though

The scenes were shot with quick movements, fast shutter speeds, and quick edits in order to show the chaos, noise, and grittiness that the city can bring. I want to show a side of the city that isn't the typical "tourist" Mexico.

Keep in mind this is 3 minutes of about 4 hours of footage that I shot. This is just a teaser of the final video. The final video will have the same style, but will show MUCH more than this. This is just a taste of the city.

Oh, and it wasn't Periferico, but Circuito Interior ;D

Hopefully you enjoy the final video(s), and I am trying to show a bigger slice of Mexico City. Though, no matter how hard anyone tries, it'll be impossible to represent the city completely accurately.

How long did you live there, and when?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 PM

I lived there from 1985-87 with a Mexican wife...Tlalnepantla and Narvarte (centro) off Universidad/Eje 3... close to Metro Linea 3. I have been in Mexico 17 yrs next month.
All the heavy traffic could be unusal for some from a small US town...from NYC or LA is another thing.
I could list a whole bunch of things to see in the city other then traffic.

Oh well...your intentions are admirable.

Steve

Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Congratulations on living in one of the greatest countries in the world! I hope to move back someday. I needed to film the traffic since the town I live in is exactly what you'd expect. I needed to show my friends what an actual city looks like.

But like I said, this isn't the completed video, just a small clip. I shot more footage at the Zocalo, Periferico, Coyoacan, Desierto De Los Leones, Parque Hundido, Reforma, etc. So yeah, the final video isn't just going to be traffic.

*Edit
So where you there during the '85 quake?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 AM

NO...I had flown back to LA prior to the earthquake. Phone was down for a month. Wifes sister worked for Mexicana and had a Stewardess at LAX relay a phone call to another sister who lived in LA from the airport who in turn called me. There were 7 sisters in the family.

I saw the city damage...TV station and tower down...streets uneven...bldgs down etc...not a pretty sight.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 AM

469 posts, read 1,257,294 times
Diego, who is your intended audience for this video? What message are you trying to give them about Mexico? The footage you showed didn't catch my attention or keep my interest. It looked like generic news footage for any city in the world. Your audience will be looking for a story, or at least expecting a point. Hopefully it will all come together, but be sure that any teaser really GRABS the viewer!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:42 PM

I don't have any true intended audience. There's no message I wanted to give. I simply wanted to make an artistic representation of how I see my city.

@Steve, My mom was there during the quake. After a while, she flew to Houston because she couldn't stand the smell of "death." She flew back to DF after about 2 months, an the smell was still there. Horrible stuff.

Was your wife's family all ok?

Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 PM

Yes...family was okay as the damage was more to the south in centro area etc. Our house was in Tlalnepantla (Electra). Did see streets that dropped a ft compared to the sidewalks. TV station with the two bodies still inside. Hospital with outside part collapsed. Same part where a friend was born. We drove all over to see the damage.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico