Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times

Advertisements

you may have a point but you tend to shoot down suggestions when anyone here tries to help, which is a sign of unhealthy thinking. Like others have said you could try to sublet your place with landlord's permission, then you could move elsewhere. You haven't been living there that long, maybe you just need a few more years to adjust. The experts say it takes a mininum of five years to get used to a new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
wasnt depressed and had quite an active social life before moving here
we just cant relate to people here. we have nothing in common with the latins here and many of them are far less ethical than we are.
because of this we are socially isolated here and our social skills are actually in atrophy. it doesnt take any work to make friends where we're from. like alot of people who move here, youre laid back and smiling when you arrive but get taken advantage of until you become bitter and jaded just like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM

maybe you should make some day trips to someplace like Key Largo on the weekends, if you're not already doing that, for a change of scene. I've found the people there very friendly every time I've been there.

Quote:
we just cant relate to people here. we have nothing in common with the latins here and many of them are far less ethical than we are.
because of this we are socially isolated here and our social skills are actually in atrophy. it doesnt take any work to make friends where we're from. like alot of people who move here, youre laid back and smiling when you arrive but get taken advantage of until you become bitter and jaded just like everyone else.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,029 times
ineed, im pretty sure the landlord knows they only have ghetto people to choose from down here which is why in all likelihood they wouldnt let us leave. at any rate we dont have enough $$ to move yet but we're working on that. we even tried sleeping with the windows open and ac off night before last to see if we could tolerate it to save money on power. didnt work because of car alarms, ac units and neighborhood cats in heat-- which i might add is chillingly scary at 3am.
we'll probably be the best tenants our landlord will ever have in this place, the next tenants will probably put holes in the walls.
we do get down to the keys, also orlando was wonderful on memorial day weekend. the problem is we dont strike up conversations with people in lines anymore. we've kind of been beaten into submission by rude responses.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 24,937 times
Quote:
You goto be tough to make it down here. I've been down here 8 years now and I've loved every second! How come you haven't made any friends at your Burger King? Seems like you are blaming your problems on Miami and Latinos. That's absolutely crazy! And as far as your "...latins here and many of them are far less ethical than we are..." comment. That is completely not true! Most Latins keep to themselves, work extremely hard and only came here in hopes of a better life for themselves and their families. I wish you luck and hope you find happiness, but you are the only reason you're jaded ... Not the city of Miami/Homestead or the Latinos.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyOfDade View Post
You goto be tough to make it down here. I've been down here 8 years now and I've loved every second! How come you haven't made any friends at your Burger King? Seems like you are blaming your problems on Miami and Latinos. That's absolutely crazy! And as far as your "...latins here and many of them are far less ethical than we are..." comment. That is completely not true! Most Latins keep to themselves, work extremely hard and only came here in hopes of a better life for themselves and their families. I wish you luck and hope you find happiness, but you are the only reason you're jaded ... Not the city of Miami/Homestead or the Latinos.
I dissagree, Homestead really is a boiling hell. Crime there is so out of control, that people there tend to have a paranoia of others. Its depressing. Cixel, PLEASE do yourself a favor and do the sublet thing! Move to Broward, you might not enjoy it at much as L.A but at least this is not hell. I actually find it easy to strike a conversation with someone up here, regardless of ethnicity. In my local Publix you will see people conversing and helping each other out regularly. You see signs of humanity that I have found absent in my (admittely, few) visits to Homestead and my MANY visits into Dade. There are a couple snobs out here in Weston, but dude, the attitude is a lot better up here. I mean, that Miami mentality is still present, but it is diluted by people who came from elsewhere. I have mentioned Coral Springs in the past and I think you should check that out, Cixel.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 PM

I would at least ask if he will allow you to sublet, or break the lease. If the neighborhood is a dump they are probably used to people bailing on short notice. If you can't get a sublet he may allow you to break the lease if you forfeit your security deposit.

I have the same problem--some car alarms, but mostly people who come back to the building wasted at 3AM slamming doors, yelling at each other. One time some people locked themselves out (drunk) and decided to climb the fire escape right outside my window to try to get back in their place. That freaked me out. These dummies apparently also threw their garbage out the window and urinated out of it too, from what I heard from a neighbor. Luckily even the landlord eventually got fed up with them and refused to renew their lease a few years ago. I use earplugs to sleep.

Quote:
ineed, im pretty sure the landlord knows they only have ghetto people to choose from down here which is why in all likelihood they wouldnt let us leave. at any rate we dont have enough $$ to move yet but we're working on that. we even tried sleeping with the windows open and ac off night before last to see if we could tolerate it to save money on power. didnt work because of car alarms, ac units and neighborhood cats in heat-- which i might add is chillingly scary at 3am.
we'll probably be the best tenants our landlord will ever have in this place, the next tenants will probably put holes in the walls.
we do get down to the keys, also orlando was wonderful on memorial day weekend. the problem is we dont strike up conversations with people in lines anymore. we've kind of been beaten into submission by rude responses.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,029 times
fort, may be checking out coral springs this weekend. any place in particular to look around?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM

I agree with Lauderdale--I would cut my losses and go to another part of Fla where you can continue your hobbies. I wouldn't go to Hawaii--I've never been there, but I've they have big problems with crime and meth-heads there, and a lot of the native population doesn't care for white people. Plus it would cost a fortune to move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I dissagree, Homestead really is a boiling hell. Crime there is so out of control, that people there tend to have a paranoia of others. Its depressing. Cixel, PLEASE do yourself a favor and do the sublet thing! Move to Broward, you might not enjoy it at much as L.A but at least this is not hell. I actually find it easy to strike a conversation with someone up here, regardless of ethnicity. In my local Publix you will see people conversing and helping each other out regularly. You see signs of humanity that I have found absent in my (admittely, few) visits to Homestead and my MANY visits into Dade. There are a couple snobs out here in Weston, but dude, the attitude is a lot better up here. I mean, that Miami mentality is still present, but it is diluted by people who came from elsewhere. I have mentioned Coral Springs in the past and I think you should check that out, Cixel.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:29 PM

I would just say to avoid the Sample Rd. area, its not that it is so bad, it just isint the absolute nicest part of Springs. Everywhere else should be cool; if something looks like its in a nice neighborhood there, it IS in a nice neighborhood. In particular you may be able to find good rent prices along Riverside Drive, lots of older but established complexes, but a very nice well kept area.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Also a lot of lower end complexes tend to be along major corridors like Coral Ridge Drive, but when you get behind them you have typical upper middle class suburban neighborhoods. The thing about Coral Springs is there is quite a socio-economic mix, but in most cases, people really DO care about where they live, which is why they chose Coral Springs in the first place . Just for curiosity, how much were you looking to rent for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami