Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:16 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times

Advertisements

There was a similar thread about tolling on the Snapper Creek/Don Shula, so how's about those red light cameras that just became legal this month? Are they changing your behavior, and is the change the same as what was intended by "big brother?"

In my case, I am avoiding having to turn right at a signal that I know has a camera, since "some cities" insist on enforcing rolling right turns when the law EXPLICITELY says the cameras can't be used for that purpose. I'm avoiding the intersection even if that means using the Aventura Mall perimeter road. And you know, it's probably faster for me to do this, since the right lane backs up from people who are afraid to turn right even after stopping, and those who stop twice because they're startled by the flash. Also you get people behind you who honk their horn and curse at you (or simply hit you) because you're smart enough to stop behind the line before proceeding.

Enough from me, how about others' red light camera tales/woes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Dont run a red light and it shouldnt be a problem. I dont understand why folks in Miami cant understand the concept.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
There was a similar thread about tolling on the Snapper Creek/Don Shula, so how's about those red light cameras that just became legal this month? Are they changing your behavior, and is the change the same as what was intended by "big brother?"

In my case, I am avoiding having to turn right at a signal that I know has a camera, since "some cities" insist on enforcing rolling right turns when the law EXPLICITELY says the cameras can't be used for that purpose. I'm avoiding the intersection even if that means using the Aventura Mall perimeter road. And you know, it's probably faster for me to do this, since the right lane backs up from people who are afraid to turn right even after stopping, and those who stop twice because they're startled by the flash. Also you get people behind you who honk their horn and curse at you (or simply hit you) because you're smart enough to stop behind the line before proceeding.

Enough from me, how about others' red light camera tales/woes?
Stop at the red light and you won't have any problem. It takes about half a second longer than a rolling stop. I don't understand why you would alter your route to avoid changing from a rolling stop to a full stop. Just stop.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:13 PM

242 posts, read 315,710 times
It's quite simple: don't run red lights. Unfortunately, drastic measures are needed for reckless Miami drivers who don't care about whether other people live or die. What's more important? Your non-privacy at an intersection on a PUBLIC highway or human lives? Trust me, I would do far more to red light runners than just fine them.

p.s. I have a friend here who was injured (could have been worse) by a red light running idiot. To hell with privacy complaints. I would put these cameras at every major intersection in Dade County and milk these idiots dry.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Orlando's bad too. I know a guy in Orlando who was at a red light... he was fumbling around his glove box, looking for a cd. Needless to say, he was sitting at the red light. A car behind him honked at him to let him know the light had turned green. He fumbled with his cd for another second or two, and he proceeded as the light had now been green for a few seconds. And then WAM! Someone ran the red light and hit him. He had to go to physical therapy and his car was totaled (actually he was in an suv i think). Thank God he's alive. But this guy ran a red light about 3 seconds AFTER it turned red. No excuse for idiots doing this crap.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Orlando's bad too. I know a guy in Orlando who was at a red light... he was fumbling around his glove box, looking for a cd. Needless to say, he was sitting at the red light. A car behind him honked at him to let him know the light had turned green. He fumbled with his cd for another second or two, and he proceeded as the light had now been green for a few seconds. And then WAM! Someone ran the red light and hit him. He had to go to physical therapy and his car was totaled (actually he was in an suv i think). Thank God he's alive. But this guy ran a red light about 3 seconds AFTER it turned red. No excuse for idiots doing this crap.
Many FL cities are notorious for having dangerous roads, Orlando and Miami being right up there. There really is no excuse. People genuinely do not seem to care, until it happens to them. The very mentality of drivers here is so wrong. I have been in the car with people who have told me to speed up and take the light and were surprised when I slowed down and stopped. Unfortunately, cameras are the only way to stop the idiots. Fining people caught running red lights will at least deter a large % of drivers from doing this, because money really matters in Miami

Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM

119 posts, read 249,325 times
Red light cameras are needed in Miami where 98% of the populace drives recklessly all the time.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I can't stand these cameras personally. I think it's another way for the county to get more money out of us. Next it will be speeding tickets on the open road tolling. On the flip side, I know I am much more aware of my driving while at theses intersections.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I can't stand these cameras personally. I think it's another way for the county to get more money out of us. Next it will be speeding tickets on the open road tolling. On the flip side, I know I am much more aware of my driving while at theses intersections.
How else do you want our local government to deal with red light runners? Doing nothing isn't an option, nor is having patrol cars sitting at intersections waiting to chase down these idiots. Unless they hurt someone and jail is the only answer, fining these idiots is the only way to punish them. Of course, I would equally like to see them on the wrong end of a good beating, but that 'aint going to happen. Hit people where it hurts - their wallets. Repeat offenders should be banned from driving for life. Cameras are the only way to catch them and cameras are needed here as our roads are deadly.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:25 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
We need them here in Lake City.no regard for red light or right turn on red.Even with green arrows will go against vehicles who have right of way,that said I have never had ticket nor accident in 55 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami