Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
I told you so what? Miami21 is still our code. Yes, parking garages are suburban but it doesn't mean that they can't be in urban areas. NYC has suburban things, like plazas, and everything is suburban style even in the Bronx! If we do get this parking garage, it will have to be urban and be under Miami21.
If you read the Miami21 code it discusses what regulations parking garages come under, notably in Article 5.

Last edited by flyers29; 07-22-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:59 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
APPROVED

http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2010/07/19/daily55.html

Siffin's media towers get green light

Developer Mark Siffin’s proposal to build high-rise-size electronic billboards, which some liken to those in Times Square, next to Miami’s performing arts center was approved Thursday by the Miami City Commission.
The proposed 350- and 250-foot-tall billboards, to be atop a 100-foot-high garage, passed on a 5-0 vote. The project was approved for a total of five faces, including one on the garage.

Mayor Tomas Regalado supported the measure, which he put on Thursday’s agenda. He said it would bring jobs and revenue to the city.
Commission Chairman Marc Sarnoff made his vote contingent on changes to the ordinance governing the billboards, also known as media towers. The requirements included Siffin paying a maximum permit fee of $1.2 million a year to the city based on 95,000 square feet of billboard space. He also required Siffin pay a total of $8 million over 10 years – $800,000 each year – toward a new organization, the Museum Park Trust, to help redevelop downtown’s Bicentennial Park.
“I think it’s time for the city of Miami to make some progress to move at a faster pace than we have been,” Sarnoff said. “I want to make sure there is light all over the place.”

Commissioner Frank Carollo modified Sarnoff’s requirement on the permit fee to be $2 a square foot each month, which totals $2.28 million a year.
Siffin has a $190 million contract with McClatchy Co, owner of The Miami Herald, for 10 acres, including the garage site. His proposed City Square project also includes a single-story retail complex on lots next to the garage. Siffin is supposed to close on the contract in 2011.
Sarnoff also included a penalty into the development equation that, if construction on the separate retail complex Siffin plans is not started within five years, the permit fee would increase by $1 million.

Sarnoff required Siffin to have a minimum of 1,600 parking spaces in the garage, and construct a retail center that's between 200,000 and 450,000 square feet. Siffin also must add a trolley to his plan and eliminate the high-rise residential tower that is already approved for the site.
Attorney Jeff Bercow, who represented Siffin before the commission, said his client agreed to the substance of the requirements. Siffin responded with “absolutely” when asked if he was in agreement.

Most of those who spoke at the commission meeting voiced support for the project, which is expected to create hundreds of construction-related and permanent jobs. Many said the garage and billboards would remove blight and spur more development.
Sharon Dodge, president of the 341-unit Venetian Condo Association, said the project was needed, despite concerns raised by some about the impact the billboard light might have on neighboring residences.

“It’s a good enough development,” she said. “We have given it our tentative support because it’s so good for the area.”
Barbara Bisno, who lives on Venetian Causeway, opposed the project because of several issues, including concerns about the light coming from the billboards and the speed with which the project received approval. The first public hearing on the billboards was held Thursday, with the second hearing set for July 29.
The city fast-tracked Siffin's billboard proposal by amending the city code instead of the zoning code, which would have required more time, more scrutiny and more money from the developer.
Although Siffin’s development agreement was on the agenda, it was not voted on.
Said Bisno: “It was terrible to go so fast.”

[LEFT]
Read more: Siffin's media towers get green light - South Florida Business Journal
[/LEFT]

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-22-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
^ well that was fast!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
Miami has seen some good projects in the last ten years...this ONE looks awful. Two flashy billboards projecting adds across the skyline. Sounds and looks HORRIBLE.

Miami has a gorgeous bay and an emerging skyline. Why clutter it up with something as hideous as these proposed billboard towers? You will out do Vegas and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I hope that if approved...the lack of financing still kills this deal.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
I'm sorry, but I'd rather see Miami World Center or One Bayfront Plaza start construction than 2 neon billboards.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM

But, OBP is a go

It is going to happen... 2012 "THE NEW MIAMI"

OH, about MWC, dunno if that's been approved yet. *fingercrossed*

Old 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Miami has seen some good projects in the last ten years...this ONE looks awful. Two flashy billboards projecting adds across the skyline. Sounds and looks HORRIBLE.

Miami has a gorgeous bay and an emerging skyline. Why clutter it up with something as hideous as these proposed billboard towers? You will out do Vegas and I don't mean that as a compliment.

So glad u weren't part of the committee.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times
Dumb dumb dumb

Here's a novel and original idea: how about a PARK?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post

isn't LA Live composed of flashy media towers like this also? I don't know if it's been built yet but I have seen the renderings and it appears you will have something of the same.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I'm sorry, but I'd rather see Miami World Center or One Bayfront Plaza start construction than 2 neon billboards.
Its a bit easier to approve one building then a whole neighood or park project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
Dumb dumb dumb

Here's a novel and original idea: how about a PARK?
This will help pay for news parks.

Surprised how fast it went through and I like the idea. Miami is a flashy city thats no secret we like to be seen. Miami is the young energtic city, it does not have much history to it, this is something Miami would do and I like it. Its not like Tokyo and NYC dont have large signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami