Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:51 PM

6 posts, read 16,695 times

Advertisements

Hello, so i was offered a job teaching history (very hard to get any job teaching history) however the two places I was given to pick from was overtown or liberty city. i am trying to pick the best out of the two. or maybe just say no thank you to both? since i am a 23 year old white female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
NEITHER. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TEACHING IN EITHER OF THOSE PLACES.

Sorry for the caps but those are the worst areas in the entire county. You will not be happy teaching there, there's a reason those are the only two places. You've been warned!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibornandraised View Post
Hello, so i was offered a job teaching history (very hard to get any job teaching history) however the two places I was given to pick from was overtown or liberty city. i am trying to pick the best out of the two. or maybe just say no thank you to both? since i am a 23 year old white female?
I hope you are joking...

Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
unless you want to learn karate so you can be like Michelle Pfeiffer in dangerous minds I would decline both jobs

Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Besides heeding the advice of the above posters, the next best advice is to go back to school and study about computers or currency trading or something more economically useful than teaching history: save that for your children at home one day.

Don't get me wrong, I have a masters in history and I am quite satisfied with myself personally, but it is only one of several degrees I have (so what, right?) and the masters in history has no connection with what I do to make a living, while the other degrees have a direct bearing.

You are 23 years old, plenty of time to go to graduate school and learn a marketable skill.

I don't mean to be negative, but analyze the numbers and see what direction they point to. Not that the numbers can ever take away your personal satisfaction, but you also have to make a decent living in a safe environment.

If you come up with better numbers through teaching history, please let me know and I will follow you.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:37 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,555 times
It's sad but true, those are the worse places you could teach at in Dade County.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 AM

350 posts, read 1,522,291 times
Default Just Say No

Quote:

Are you talking about teaching in the public schools in those areas? Unless you are prepared to work in a combat-type zone, the answer to your question is say 'no thank you' to both. If you are really "miamibornandraised", I'm surprised you don't already know this ! I am a veteran teacher and even I will not work in those areas. They actually used to offer combat pay for those areas; not sure if they still do. Most people I know with a history degree joined the Peace Corps, though I'm not sure what they did there. At least they were working with popoulations who were grateful for their services.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:33 AM

184 posts, read 611,497 times
Quote:

This is a joke .... right ?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
This is a joke .... right ?
I think they are, or at least I hope, LOL!

Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,877 times
If you value your life, don't take the job. Both are in under developed areas of the city of Miami. You could live in Brickell which is the best downtown area and drive to the school. But never take Metro-Rail. I have nothing else to tell you, honestly I would not take the job. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami