Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM

21 posts, read 73,328 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I recently graduated from college. Coming in from the University of Michigan (Go Blue!), and I got a job in Bay Harbor Islands. Without giving too many specifics, I will be making decent money, but I'm looking to pay not more than $1000-$1100 a month in rent for a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom. So far, I've used padmapper.com to look at potential apartments.

I was hoping to get recommendations on where to live. The office is in Bay Harbor islands on Kane Concourse street....one of my future co-workers recommended Miami Beach, South Beach, etc. as good places where I could live and "there are lots of hot girls" (lol).

So, just a little bit about my interests and what i'm looking for, so if any of you guys on here could provide suggestions based off of this, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks again!

- 22 years old
- competitive weightlifter in college, looking to continue once I get to Miami (so will probably use a Crossfit or powerlifting gym)
- relaxed, easy going, etc.
- looking for a place that has a lot of people my age, is close to restaurants/food/shopping, but at the same time, is quiet, so maybe a little removed from all the "action" but close enough where I can walk or would be a very short drive
- doesn't need to be near the beach, but would be preferable
- not looking for more than a 20 minute commute at most (office is located on Kane Concourse in Bay Harbor Islands)

Possible locations I've been told so far are South Beach/Miami Beach.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Would greatly appreciate it...thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
South Beach is a great spot for you!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Okay great....any other recommendations? Right now, I'm using PadMapper.com to look for places. I just got here today...just staying at a hotel in North Beach for a couple days.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM

OK, so I am staying at a hotel in North Beach...i followed my GPS down to south beach to check it out.

Is it just me or is it confusing as hell?!!! lol its a bunch of inter-woven, twisting/turning parallel streets, many of which are one-way haha. I couldn't find like a Taco Bell or BK or even McD's with a normal parking lot where I could park and then walk into the store to eat lol. And Google Maps wasn't joking when it said 8 miles might take 20 minutes lol. Wow.

is this feeling of overwhelmingness normal for seeing South Beach/Miami Beach for the first time? It's honestly got me a little worried about living on this island part of Miami and instead, going to the mainland on the west side. Unfortunately, that'll be too far from work lol.

is it supposed to be a PITA to find parking?? Maybe I just need to get used to it, and it's more of a walking culture like my college campus. I just wasn't expecting it here lol.

Any/all suggestions/thoughts are welcome lol.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
OK, so I am staying at a hotel in North Beach...i followed my GPS down to south beach to check it out.

Is it just me or is it confusing as hell?!!! lol its a bunch of inter-woven, twisting/turning parallel streets, many of which are one-way haha. I couldn't find like a Taco Bell or BK or even McD's with a normal parking lot where I could park and then walk into the store to eat lol. And Google Maps wasn't joking when it said 8 miles might take 20 minutes lol. Wow.

is this feeling of overwhelmingness normal for seeing South Beach/Miami Beach for the first time? It's honestly got me a little worried about living on this island part of Miami and instead, going to the mainland on the west side. Unfortunately, that'll be too far from work lol.

is it supposed to be a PITA to find parking?? Maybe I just need to get used to it, and it's more of a walking culture like my college campus. I just wasn't expecting it here lol.

Any/all suggestions/thoughts are welcome lol.
Miami streets aren't confusing, as a matter of fact they're some of the easiest in the country! It's a grid, just remember that. One ways can be annoying, but just know that usually the next street will be what you're looking for.

In Miami Beach, especially South Beach, parking is at a premium. There are places with their own lots, but a lot of the time it's street parking (or a garage.)

A feeling of being overwhelmed is normal whenever you move to a new area. Just remember to keep calm. Nobody will bite! (Well, there was a cannibal last year but police shot him dead )

South Beach and much of Miami Beach is very walkable.

Your budget would be okay in South Beach but you're going to get something older and possibly a studio. Most any other place in Miami (that you would want to live) it will be a bit of a problem.

I would stick to looking at South Beach as I think it fits most of your needs. Just don't be too adamant about getting anything new and also be willing to compromise on getting a studio as opposed to a 1 bedroom.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM

What are your thoughts on North Bay Village/Normandy Isles? it seems like a good place right in between where I work in Bay Harbor Islands as well as South Beach if I wanna head down there on the weekends.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
DW parking is a premium in South Beach, so make sure you get a place with a parking spot if you find a place in your budget. This way you won't have to drive around to find one on the street each day. South Beach is a walking area, you can also catch their local transit bus. Friends of mine live on the west side of South Beach and they swear its far enough away from the tourist and party people and doesn't feel that crazy.

It's normal to feel overwhelmed with any new place. South Beach may be a little more overwhelming with the tight streets and lack of parking. But once you are there you'll do more walking to things.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
What are your thoughts on North Bay Village/Normandy Isles? it seems like a good place right in between where I work in Bay Harbor Islands as well as South Beach if I wanna head down there on the weekends.
It's okay. If you're extremely sheltered you might think NBV is gritty and unsafe but if you have an ounce of sense you'll be fine. It's quite blue collar.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
DEAN? Good advice from "doggiebus" and Coconut"! Miami will shock you! This isn't KANSAS!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
DEAN? Good advice from "doggiebus" and Coconut"! Miami will shock you! This isn't KANSAS!
Nice try, but my username is one of the main characters in one of my favorite TV shows (Supernatural).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami