Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: VOte
Yes 5 50.00%
No 4 40.00%
Maybe 1 10.00%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times

Advertisements

I think Miami should have a local French channel or radio, what'd u guyz think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,982 times
Thumbs down Bad Idea

Not a good idea. Univision has done enough irreparable damage to this country. If the French want to hear French in the USA, they can download France 24 from their computer or they can get DishNetwork. They have channels in different languages

Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Yeah, but it might help the french-speaking community economically just like Univision does with their ads of Latin places such as restaurants, dealers, clothing stores, attorneys, etc...Plus, that'd help Miami to boost up its cultural diverse atmosphere.

I'm not talking about creating a superficial Chinatown or something like that, we do have a lot of French speaking people in Miami. The French speaking community might prosper if such media is given to them as they might be able to communicate with each other a lil bit better.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
^ how has Univision done damage? They are a business that caters to a cleintele that numbers 45 million hispanics in the US or basically 1 out of 6 Americans. I think there is a French speaking radio station in Miami that caters to Haitian Creaole speakers though.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Yeah, but it might help the french-speaking community economically just like Univision does with their ads of Latin places such as restaurants, dealers, clothing stores, attorneys, etc...Plus, that'd help Miami to boost up its cultural diverse atmosphere.

I'm not talking about creating a superficial Chinatown or something like that, we do have a lot of French speaking people in Miami. The French speaking community might prosper if such media is given to them as they might be able to communicate with each other a lil bit better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ how has Univision done damage? They are a business that caters to a cleintele that numbers 45 million hispanics in the US or basically 1 out of 6 Americans. I think there is a French speaking radio station in Miami that caters to Haitian Creaole speakers though.

Exactly my thoughts

Old 09-14-2010, 09:31 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
1. It's Francais, not Francois. Francois is a male name.
2. If there was a market for a French-language station here then it would probably exist already.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
2. If there was a market for a French-language station here then it would probably exist already.
Such an unfair statement. We might not know how big the French market really is if we keep on ignoring their existence (I'm not saying we are evil by doing so). We have creole signs all over the 305, isn't that enough to show you there might be FRENCH people for a FRENCH market?

PLus, TV media is not only for entertainment. French people can use it as a way to communicate their product amongst their demography (a market) - this might also help them build a strong bond as a community. Just like Univision or Telemundo do when they feature Festival Calle 8 ads, Ethnic festivals, Hispanic community centers, Hispanic Help lines (accidents, Lawyers, Schools)etc... This keeps Hispanics in contact with each other, and also helps to build an identity.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:43 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Winter

French language is not present in South Florida.
You might find some French Canadians and Creole (patois) speakers, but very few French.
French Canadian is very different.
French, on the other hand, have no problem with English or Spanish.
I knew some French "boulangers" in Dade and they all spoke good Spanish/English.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
I would love it! I studied French for many years in middle and high school. This would be a great chance for me to brush up on French. Maybe it's a bit of a selfish reason, but yeah I'm for it.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Winter

French language is not present in South Florida.
You might find some French Canadians and Creole (patois) speakers, but very few French.
French Canadian is very different.
French, on the other hand, have no problem with English or Spanish.
I knew some French "boulangers" in Dade and they all spoke good Spanish/English.
Well, I meant French speakers, be them Haitians, French or whatevu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami