Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 06:48 PM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times

Advertisements

I drive around south Florida fairly regularly for work and have noticed all the nice, new construction east of US-1 around Cutler Ridge? I saw that the houses are all pretty big and very cheap as far as new construction in south Florida goes. I think some single family homes going for ~200k in a gated community.

I live in Broward, but work in West Miami-Dade. I've spent some time around SW Miami-Dade and it seems like cowboy county/farm country in many ways. The kind of area that might have been predominately white in the 50's and 60's, but now is a mixed bag of just about everything. What is the history of SW M-D county?

Also, what is the general repuation of Cutler Ridge? In particular the areas with all the new construction. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Is West Kendall SW MD? Cuz the only history I know of it is that it used to be a religious neighborhood back in the 70's.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
West Kendall is part of Southwest Miami-Dade. Well Homestead has been in Southwest Miami Dade for years. I have met people that grew up in Homestead before electricity, crazy I know. Basically everything in between Miami and Homestead (Cutler Ridge, Kendall, etc.) filled in as populations grew. Homestead has always been a farming community. Cutler Bay (aka Cutler Ridge) has always been a middle class area, now more of a lower middle class area. Some parts of Culter Bay are close to Goulds a poorer area of Southwest Miami Dade, so stay as far as possible from that area.

Many people like Cutler Bay, they think it is a great place to live others may differ with their opinion. It is really one of the few places in Miami that is truly a mix background community. So many places in Miami are segregated for a lack of a better term, Cutler Bay has a true blend of people I would say. I would say the area is lower middle class people mostly, with some higher middle class people closer to Old Cutler Rd.

Parts of Cutler Bay near the water were hit hard during Hurricane Andrew, so if you are looking at places near Old Culter Rd. do your homework. Parts of Cutler Bay sit on top of a ridge (hence the prior name Cutler Ridge) so high ground. If you take a drive through Cutler Bay, look at the road and you can see the road isn't flat there are high points and low points. You can see the same thing in the communities to the north. You will also see homes built way higher than the roads in Cutler Bay (like they are on a mini hill) to avoid flooding issues from hurricanes, you know you are in one of the lower level parts of Cutler Bay. If you are looking at the newer homes I would be careful, just for the fact I believe the land they were built on was soft (settling issues in a few years will be an issue I suspect, like western broward had).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami