Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Just make the best of it and move on.
The place in nearly uninhabitable. It walks a thin line of legal and civil and Miami's city flag should be only shades of gray. I find it not too dissimilar to the Turkey Vulture, beautiful and mesmerizing soaring from a far, but singularly focused, primal and grizzly as you get a closer look.

Honesty, I can't recommended anyone moving here knowing what I "think" I know, and I certainly can't, knowing for certain my own personal experiences here.

While I don't have any first hand knowledge for comparison, Miami may be only a moderate improvement over living in the county jail. Miami is likely only an upgrade from internment with the social disorder, lawlessness, civility and quality of your neighbors being equal in both places.

Ok, granted, that may be a bit harsh, but I'm finding the best part of Miami is making fun of this place. Miami sets itself up for gross over exaggeration, superlatives and the invention of new descriptive expletives, so it get's what it deserves from me now.

I completely agree with cream of the crap. Hiring managers must find themselves in a terrible quandary as they resort to hiring the lesser of the many evils when reviewing job candidates or, finally realizing the search for a qualified candidate is a completely futile exercise, just hire solely based on bra size.

We find many people complaining about their job here for some reason, rather than feeling fortunate they have a job at all. We see this as ungrateful given their opportunity for advancement. Managers certainly can't fire the totally inpet or the hateful or many would have to issue a pink slip to themselves as well.

It's faster to go to school and get your own Plumbers license and do the job yourself than finding a plumber to just show up. Even if they eventually show, you'll have to navigate Swahili and a Creole colloquial mix to get your lost train of thought across. The smart money is on people not doing what they say they will do, even after you begged them repeatedly into agreeing to do the job in the first place.

"Why do it today, when I can put it off until next week" is apparently on every company mission statement here. The only thing for certain is it will be an exasperating and a lengthy process just to get a drain unclogged. It's simpler, cheaper in the end and less miserable for everyone involved, to move out.

My son is the cream of the crap here, no question. He was in the top 5% in all of Texas and in the top 3% in Dallas and Ft. Worth. He lands in Miami and has posted absolutely phenomenal numbers here. His store in Miami was last in the market and now it's #1 in 60 days. The only thing that changed was he came here to lead the existing sales team. He bought big city business sensibility to the workforce and that's an absolute cash cow here.

What seems clear is that there is tremendous opportunity for those who do their job well here. The cream of the crap rises to the top instantly and people are attracted to it like opposite polar magnets. They will highly reward those who are proficient, personal and professional as that is seemingly such an anomaly here.

People here are starving for fair play and they respond with wallets open and return to open them more often. The problem is, you as the cream of this crap have to live among the Dung beetles here, and you are only in the eye of this otherwise total crap storm.

I think we are good for Miami, but Miami is not good for us. Miami is changing us as individuals. When we first arrived we drove friendly, now we drive like the drivers we hated. Rather than being us, we're becoming one of "them".

Compassion has turned to contempt, patina has turned to seedy. We're more irritable here and we're loosing who we were and perhaps worst of all, we are becoming something we wish we were not, just in order to survive here.

The surface of the water seemed calm and inviting, but we've learned there is always a lurking under tow here, and even on land. Our plan is to swim with the tow until we can make it to shore with no plans to come to this beach again.

Hey! Who would have thought, HELL had such beautiful weather? Let's all get out and enjoy it today, open the door for a total stranger, let someone in who's stuck in traffic, smile at the miserable looking store clerk even complement her on that ugly dress and try to make Miami a more pleasant place even if just for today and in our own tiny way!

Or...hell, fer-git-bout-it, it's every man, woman and child including the unborn for themselves I say, and we go on acting like we live in Miami everyday.

Last edited by Jmlacysr; 01-08-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 7,999 times
What kind of person complements another insincerely? That says a lot about someone's character

enough said !!!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,692 times
He moved to the worse area of Miami and he's generalizing his experience to the entire city. I'm sure that he also lived in a slum in Dallas and that he acted the same way.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Move to Brickell and your experience will be much better. There are plenty of condos for rent right now, I love it here, heck, I wish it was its own little city away from the surrounding ghetto and downtown Miami. Nothing makes your day more than waking up and seeing the nice view of the ocean from your bedroom balcony.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
Ahh Miami - the CD Miami board is just like Miami - never boring. I imagine my future in Miami will be living in a $90K condo in the Flamingo staring out at my view of Biscayne Bay cyber-ranting on CD. Hmmm ... not sure if this is good - except for the part about the view of the Bay!

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 01-08-2011 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I understand your pain and sorry that you are having a rough time ... but I do not agree with you on the homeless problem in Miami being worse than the rest of the country ... that is simply untrue .. West Palm Beach , Miami , Ft.Lauderdale , Orlando and Tampa all have the sale uptick in homeless populations in the winter months as these are "homeless snowbirds" if you want to call them that come down here to escape the cold from the NE ... it is not a Florida or Miami problem it is a temporary problem and most leave after April .. I see many more homeless through out the year in cities like Atlanta and Houston .. sorry just call it as I see it ... even Hartford , Connecticut where I am at six times a year has what seems to be more homeless than Miami ... if I recall you are also living in a more unsavory area of Miami .. correct ?
I have to politely disagree with you on this one Rock. My experience is it is a Miami problem, although it may actually be a Florida problem, and it is not new.

I've lived in 8 metro areas and travel the nation for work. On the very day I flew in an airplane from Hartford to Miami for my first time in 1986 I was reading an article in the NYT that said Miami did less for its homeless population that any other city. Needless to say, I thought "gulp". And when I arrived that night in Downtown Miami at around midnight the neighborhood looked to me like a scene from Night of the Living Dead (which btw Hartford looks like now). (Hartford btw is presently the sickest city in the northeast.)

Anyways in the 1980's NYC's problem with homelessness (and every other form on insanity on the street) made Miami look like Aruba, so of course I was not only not fazed but indeed delighted. However after leaving Miami in 1991, I traveled far and wide living in many places and staying in places for long terms. NY, CHI, BOS - all these cities have come to manage their homeless problems over the past few decades. Miami Beach has certainly reduced its number since the Boatlift, but of course a lot of them just basically moved over to Biscayne Blvd. Anyways, my experience is Miami is a lot better than it was back then, although coming from NY it was just paradise to me despite all issues.

Anyways not to diss because I don't, but Miami's homeless problem is definitely worse than every other place I know about (and that's a long list). Personally I do believe it is a Florida problem, and I think the underlying reason for that is simply the good weather. I know for a fact homeless go to Miami for the winter because I've seen (and smelled) them on the bus from NY.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,321,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Anyways not to diss because I don't, but Miami's homeless problem is definitely worse than every other place I know about (and that's a long list). Personally I do believe it is a Florida problem, and I think the underlying reason for that is simply the good weather. I know for a fact homeless go to Miami for the winter because I've seen (and smelled) them on the bus from NY.
If I were homeless I would no doubt set up shop in Miami during the winter. Nobody enjoys freezing outside on a sidewalk and when you live on the street you do what you can for yourself and don't worry that people living some place might not take kindly to you being there.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
If I were homeless I would no doubt set up shop in Miami during the winter. Nobody enjoys freezing outside on a sidewalk and when you live on the street you do what you can for yourself and don't worry that people living some place might not take kindly to you being there.
Yeah. And it can be argued that it is to the credit of the people of Miami (and Florida) that they are kind enough to tolerate as many of the less fortunate as much as they do. Only thing is I'm not so sure Floridians tolerate the homeless out of the kindness of their hearts though.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
The only reason I tolerate them is because there is legally nothing I can do about them.

But really, I never encounter any during my routine activities, I have ran across some before while downtown, but I never been bothered by them.

If they leave me alone, I will leave them alone.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
I have lived in Miami now for 5 years after having lived in many, many different cities and states as well as countries while growing up.

I lived on the beach, then on Normandy Isle, then Coconut Grove and now I'm near Kendall.

I do have to say that this city is the absolute worst place I have ever lived. The jaw dropping incivility here leaves me speechless quite often. I have never, in my life, experienced such attitude. I had people look down their nostrils at me because I didn't speak Spanish when I first got here. You have GOT to be kidding me. It's economically wise to learn English, NOT Spanish. And if you want bi-lingual people, that means that those who speak Spanish natively need to learn English, as well, it doesn't just go one way. And you better pay them for being bi-lingual, not this crap wage these people try to give out with a straight face.

The rudeness on the road, turning left from a far right lane and the driver flipping everyone off, the multitude of cars that run red lights, the horn blaring, (seriously, KNOCK IT OFF WITH THE HORNS!), the rip off artists at Deel VW, the rip off artists at other "mechanics", the check out help that acts like you're disturbing them when you bring your groceries to the checkout stand, the Postal workers who have serious attitude problems, the employees in any given store who refuse to acknowledge your presence and do NOT want to help you find a damn thing, the "me, me, me, me, me first!!!!!!!!! right now!!!!!" mentality, the laziness, the snottiness...I could go on.

This is the rudest city I have ever lived in.

What floors me is that we live in paradise. We have a beautiful ocean and beaches, we have the Keys not too far away, the Everglades just a drive away, hop in the car and you have amusement parks, fun things to do, go a little further and there's the amazing smell of citrus, there's history and more beauty but the people here, in this city, are filthy, obnoxious, loud and self centered.

When I first moved here, I thought it was going to be cool to meet so many different cultures, to learn from those cultures, to really embrace the differences but within six months, I was disgusted.

I did not come here an angry person but I have become an angry person and frankly, many people in Miami are the root of that anger. There have been some absolute gems along the way. I have indeed met some of the most giving, caring people here that I have ever met in my life but unfortunately, the 700,000 other idiots out there for each kind person makes this city not worth it.

For anyone thinking of moving to Miami, I highly, highly suggest that you try it out for six months before deciding to stay, permanently. If it works for you, great, come on in. If you find that it doesn't, you'll be prepared to get OUT as quick as you came.

I am working my tail off to save up money to get out of here, and while I will miss the beautiful ocean and I'll miss some of the beauty and fun that this state has to offer, I will not miss the incivility, as I said. This town is like living with monkeys in a zoo.

Miami is not special. Magic city...maybe it was at one time. I hear stories how it used to be great. People who lived here 20+ years ago said it was fabulous but that it's gone to hell in a handbasket now and they are sad to see how much it has changed, for the worse.

Some may not believe the OPs stories and may think the OP brought it all on him/herself but the OP is right when they say that this city is not honest, this city is not nice, this city is not helpful.

I would never, ever urge anyone to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami