Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago33 View Post
Yes, but the question was how do you lean Spanish, not how do you learn Spanglish. You will learn an abomination of Cervantes' language in Hialeah. The bad Spanish is too prominent, just today I saw a sign that read "Parqueo" at a business!
------

"Parqueo" is correct in Latin America.
An Anglicism, just as the term "Parking" we use in Spain.
The language spoken in Hialeah was not bad when I lived in the city many years ago, very similar to the Canarian dialect spoken in the Canary Islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Dude, trust me you don't want to learn the abomination Cervantes spoke. El Quijote is sooo overrated
-----

El Quijote is not overrated at all, unfortunately most people barely understand it because it was written more than 400 years ago. He talks abouts trades, crafts and situations that don't exist anymore. His Spanish (Castillian) is more similar to the Castillian spoken in Latin America, modern day Castillian spoken in Spain has evolved more rapidly.

A very modern subject, a crackpot turns crazy after reading many paperbacks and ends up believing he lives in a imaginary past. Some say that El Quijote is a parody of Jesus...

I prefer Quevedo.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
------

"Parqueo" is correct in Latin America.
An Anglicism, just as the term "Parking" we use in Spain.
The language spoken in Hialeah was not bad when I lived in the city many years ago, very similar to the Canarian dialect spoken in the Canary Islands.
Thank you for pointing this out. People seem to think because one says words such as "parqueo" that one doesn't know how to speak Spanish corectly. I think these people fail to realize that languages change, adapt, and adopt.
I also despise when people use a fake ''Spanish" acccent in order to sound like they speak Spanish well (ex. like when they make their s sound like a z). I tried that out once on a Spaniard and he retaliated by speaking exaggeratedly "Cuban" LOL.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 AM

Gymbuff

Spanish spoken in the Canary Island does not use the "z", it's just like Cuban Spanish.
Andalusians don't pronounce the "c" very well either, etc.
I know what you're talking about, there was a Spanish priest that managed a catholic church in Liberty City, no kidding, he lived in Cuba some 20 or 30 years and he spoke a real weird Spanish on the radio, he tried to use the "z" but he coundn't manage, on top of that he was from Galicia and he had a thick Galician accent. He sounded like the Galician guy in Trespatines.
I wonder what happened to that priest, he was totally nuts.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM

19 posts, read 40,286 times
Why do you want to learn spanish anyways? I grew up here and have been here since birth and know not a lick of spanish. I'm a third gen american from colombian/spain/german descent and could care less of speaking it. If I go to a Pollo tropical and order something those m. f'ers better speak english coming into this country lol.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
opens up the door to exploration of various parts of south america. i'm really interested in all places with jungle/rainforest.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni92 View Post
Why do you want to learn spanish anyways? I grew up here and have been here since birth and know not a lick of spanish. I'm a third gen american from colombian/spain/german descent and could care less of speaking it. If I go to a Pollo tropical and order something those m. f'ers better speak english coming into this country lol.

----

They learn Spanish to avoid becoming a dropout blue collar zero like you, somebody that pretends to be something he's not.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
opens up the door to exploration of various parts of south america. i'm really interested in all places with jungle/rainforest.
-----

Spanish is spoken in four continents.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
Thank you for pointing this out. People seem to think because one says words such as "parqueo" that one doesn't know how to speak Spanish corectly. I think these people fail to realize that languages change, adapt, and adopt.
I also despise when people use a fake ''Spanish" acccent in order to sound like they speak Spanish well (ex. like when they make their s sound like a z). I tried that out once on a Spaniard and he retaliated by speaking exaggeratedly "Cuban" LOL.
HilariouS

What I don't understand is how come Raphael the singer, sings with seseo It's a trip to watch those translated American shows (CSI, South park) With those Spanish accents. Cartman and Horatio sound pretty funny speaking like Enrique Iglesias. And who can forget the Dominican Angela Carrasco singing with a fake Spanish accent? She upset quite a few people

Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
Watch Spanish tv too, even if you don't understand crap. Don't use close captions all the time. Read in Spanish, but read things that are interesting to you. You need exposure but at your own pace, otherwise is overwhelming

When I learned to speak English, 20 years ago, I used to read Archie and watch sitcoms and that helped a lot(no Internet back then) I learned a lot during my first year here but I only listened and read. I didn't really speak a lot. It takes a few years to be fully fluent and still after 20 years, sometimes I don't understand some words or phrases lol. My English grammar is horrendous. I'm not good at languages though, I have limited Spanish vocabulary and as a child I had a hard time learning the rrrr sound and only my mom could understand me. I've always been a math person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami