Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM

609 posts, read 1,139,585 times

Advertisements

So I got an email for an interview/immediate hiring position at a restaurant seeking servers. I finished filling out the application that the hostess gave me when I arrived and the manager that was doing the interviews was maybe three tables away chatting with one of her friends. A few minutes earlier, she was interviewing someone else.

When I turned in the app to hostess, she went to give it to the manager, whom I know saw me sitting there filling it out, just to come back to tell me that she says she will give me a call if she has something available.

I'm not trying to make this into a race thing....but I do fear the worst. I have been applying for countless jobs, just to be allowed to come in, and when they see me, they have the look on their faces like, "Oh no, not another one."

I had another guy offer me a job grilling burgers(He said he did want to insult my intelligence), and I call him, only to constantly receive his voicemail.

CL is sucking as well with the job search. I'm at the end of my rope and I don't want to have to resort to looking toward the military again.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
It may not be a race thing. I used to be in the biz and managers would treat me like crap before AND during interviews. I wouldn't take it personally, even if it was a race thing, she still could have interviewed you and then just never hired you. Maybe she was just really unprofessional and stopped interviewing to chat with friends, thats how this biz is (at least down here).

Have you tried at corporate places (like ale house or cheesecake)?

What about HR in hotels or hardrock? Human Resources in hotels tend to be females and they def fill hotels with more male employees than female, for whatever reason.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I'm not sure if this was in MB, but MB does have an attitude problem when it comes to restaurants.

I wouldn't take it personally. Do ensure you (and this goes for everyone) you look your best when you go. Make sure you have on nice clothes, you brushed your hair and teeth, put on deodorant, etc.

These days, no matter the city, it's who you know and how you look. First impressions are everything.

(And this is all not to say you haven't done those things, just more of a general comment)

I'm sure you'll find something soon

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM

I will have to check those out. I need a job, and FAST. Luckily I have the GI bill to cover my rent, but that's about it.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks coconut. It was actually downtown by the arena. I was by the school campus when I got the email. I knew I wasn't dressed to impress, but I wasn't going to have time to run home and change. Maybe that was my downfall.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I would say it very well could have been then.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Next time, I'll make sure to carry a suit with me so I won't be unprepared. A phonecall would have been nice though. Emails are so informal.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Update.

I got another email today and I spoke with another manager...i think he was the head guy. He gave me a quick interview and told me to put my availability on the applicarion. The assumption that the other manger about her being unprofessional may be correct. definitely not a race thing.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Thanks coconut. It was actually downtown by the arena. I was by the school campus when I got the email. I knew I wasn't dressed to impress, but I wasn't going to have time to run home and change. Maybe that was my downfall.
That's your problem and I see it all the time in Florida. Whether it is a restaurant or someone applying as a CNA in a nursing home.

They come in flip-flops, jeans, t-shirts. It screams out lazy to the employer.

It wasn't your skin color(whatever it may be) it was as you said your dress.

You don't have to be in business attire, but you need to dress nicely.

If you're a guy a shirt with a collar and a pair of slacks. A gal put on nice blouse, slacks, or a skirt.

And no flip-flops.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Congrats! Good luck and keep us updated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami