Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Let me add, Coral Gables does have lots of impatiens out in the sun and I do wonder how they get them to thrive like they do... the only thing I could think is it's a special variety

I love vinca because they thrive in heat, sun and best of all require no deadheading!!
They probably are the special variety that does well in the sun. They are expensive still at this point (the box stores had them last year as singles only), maybe in a few years they will be cheaper. I will look into the vincas because my impatiens are not going to last if it stays this warm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
I always go for the 6 cell packs, those singles can be expensive, especially since I plant so much. Last year I planted a little under 300 plants, I believe. I like everything to be very full looking.

Definitely go for the vinca, they're great. They do reseed themselves like crazy, though, so be sure wherever you plant them you won't mind them coming up on their own a few months later.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataEast Reborn View Post
I bet if you look out of the window you'll be greeted by a blue sky, green vegetation, and tan women in shorts.
That may be true for two months out of the year, the other 10 you have your curtains closed, blinds closed, windows closed, doors closed, and A/C roaring away. So for the majority of the year you don't see or hear anything outside of your home.

Hell on earth. Literally.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
That may be true for two months out of the year, the other 10 you have your curtains closed, blinds closed, windows closed, doors closed, and A/C roaring away. So for the majority of the year you don't see or hear anything outside of your home.

Oh bologna.

8 months are beautiful in different ways. 4 months are a little hot and humid.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:37 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post

Speak for yourself buddy! Not everybody has a problem coping with the heat and humidity. Some of us actually enjoy it, and HATE the 2 months you're talking about!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,653 times
We all have our hells. Mine apparently is the opposite of yours! Redjacket - let's trade places!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 PM

168 posts, read 614,650 times
I grew up in Canada, lived in CA and IN and now in MIA. Summers here do suck, but winters are OK. I agree though....I wanted one more month of 70s.

Getting ready to move to TX....and happy to leave here. For a bunch of reasons that are not weather related.

Winter: I agree....

Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,994 times
redjacket: its true that the house does get rather cave-like in summer. especially if you have to put up shutters.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Ah yes, love for the Florida warmth and sunshine The winters get a little too cool (especially up here in Tampa) for my taste, but most of the year is divine. The sultry summers are loved by some, and acquired taste by others, and abhorred by some. There's something sexy and sultry about the tropical heat and humidity with purplish skies and jasmine soaked air in the evenings.

Southern Florida is for sexy people

Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
There's nothing sexy about sweaty, stinky, angry people. People say they love the sun and heat but it seems people get real nasty when it gets hot. Might explain why this town is so nasty all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami