Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Nice pictures Reptoid. I agree, coconut palms are sexy. I don't like palmetto trees, they always look all brown and dead. I don't understand why they even plant those ugly things. I like it when trees are bright green.
I agree with you here,Coconuts are the top beauties while Palmettos are the ugly sisters of the palms, however Palmettos look much better in a large cluster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 02:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
I have to say that I absolutely fell in love with the Sabal palmettoes when I first came to Florida in 1984 partly because they are so strange and prehistoric looking with their scale-like leaf stumps and their costapalmate leaves, and because of the sheer numbers that these things grow in. I would see groves of thousands upon thousands of these trees and it was like seeing some tropical savannah African jungle area. I have a coffee table book called "Above Florida" and some of the aerial photographs are astounding when you see the unbelievable numbers of these things!

Another thing I thought was amazing about Florida was the never ending carpets of Serenoa Repens (Saw Palmettoes). --- But I wouldn't want to try to walk through a thicket of THOSE!!! LOL!!

Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I, too, love Sabal palmettos. I wish I had planted them along my driveway rather than foxtail palms (Wodyetia bifurcata). Foxtails are so messy!

Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Don't knock the Foxtails! They are another species I love just because they get that ridiculous color of green! They do so well in the South Florida climate. It just blows away anything we have here in San Diego!

Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Another reason I like the Sabals is because they resemble the Talipot palms of Southeast Asia, except that the Sabals are much smaller.

The leaves of Talipot palms (Corypha Umbracalifera, Corypha Utan, etc.) are among some of the most massive in the palm world, with the exception of the leaves of Raphia Farinifera.

These Coryphas grow great in Florida, by the way. They have several at Flamingo Gardens, and several at Fairchild Gardens.

Also for what it's worth there's a palm near the fork in New River in Fort Lauderdale that looks like a Corypha. This is a live webcam for River Reach in Fort Lauderdale, so It will only be visible during the daylight hours. Actually Morning to Noon and slightly cloudy conditions are best for seeing this palm. As I type this the sun is shining into the camera and it's hard to make out the outlines of the palm, but you will see it toward the right side of the image on that little triangular peninsula thing where the river forks.

River Reach condominium community on private island in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Florida, in a lot of ways resembles Southeast Asia or Vietnam. I have an album by The Clash that has a cover image that was shot by a railroad track Somewhere in Southeast Asia. It could just as easily be a shot of an area near one of the many Florida canals that run through the various farmlands in SW Miami.

:.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I have to say that I absolutely fell in love with the Sabal palmettoes when I first came to Florida in 1984 partly because they are so strange and prehistoric looking with their scale-like leaf stumps and their costapalmate leaves, and because of the sheer numbers that these things grow in. I would see groves of thousands upon thousands of these trees and it was like seeing some tropical savannah African jungle area. I have a coffee table book called "Above Florida" and some of the aerial photographs are astounding when you see the unbelievable numbers of these things!

Another thing I thought was amazing about Florida was the never ending carpets of Serenoa Repens (Saw Palmettoes). --- But I wouldn't want to try to walk through a thicket of THOSE!!! LOL!!
lots of large eastern diamondbacks in those saw palmettos. ive hiked through dozens of areas like those you posted pictures of.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Another reason I like the Sabals is because they resemble the Talipot palms of Southeast Asia, except that the Sabals are much smaller.

The leaves of Talipot palms (Corypha Umbracalifera, Corypha Utan, etc.) are among some of the most massive in the palm world, with the exception of the leaves of Raphia Farinifera.
:.

I know a guy in coral gables with 2 talipot palms

Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I, too, love Sabal palmettos. I wish I had planted them along my driveway rather than foxtail palms (Wodyetia bifurcata). Foxtails are so messy!
id love to grow sable palms for the epiphyte opportunities. you could grow so many kinds of ferns in them.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Oddly enough, Canary Island Date Palms seem to work good for that too, even though they're more of a coastal desert tree.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough, Canary Island Date Palms seem to work good for that too, even though they're more of a coastal desert tree.
true but theyre also susceptible to lethal yellowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami