Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I live in south Florida?
Yes 5 26.32%
No 14 73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM

89 posts, read 165,589 times

Advertisements

Thanks for reading. You can either reply or vote, I don't mind either. Some info about me:
I'm going to be getting my degree in either architecture or sports journalism. If south Florida has a good job market for either that would be good. Specifically talking about the West Palm to south Miami area, further south would be fine too, but mainly those areas. I would like a place that is family friendly and a good place to raise a family. I love summers, and I love 4th of July fireworks. I love sports, college, pro and HS. I mainly like living in small, rural communities, but don't mind big cities. I love being outdoors, doing anything really. I especially love playing sports and boating. I love hot weather, and don't mind the humidity. Also i would like a place that is dog friendly.Thanks for any replies/ votes. If I think of more, I'll add it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 02:34 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,768,437 times
Weather is bad 6 months, there are few rural areas unless you go north of Broward. Not family friendly but boating is pretty common here. The deciding factor should be your income. If under 100,000 a year do not waste your time living in southeast Florida.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,240,225 times
you most certainly do not need to make 100k to survive in south florida. its actually quite affordable to live there.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM

769 posts, read 1,732,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Weather is bad 6 months, there are few rural areas unless you go north of Broward. Not family friendly but boating is pretty common here. The deciding factor should be your income. If under 100,000 a year do not waste your time living in southeast Florida.
That's just ridiculous. I know plenty of people who survive on ~16k. And they're perfectly content, they find money to do all the things they like. 100k might be needed if you want to live in a 3/2 apartment on South Beach and go out to clubs every weekend, but for what the OP wants, he can live just fine with whatever he has as long as he can budget and makes a few sacrifices, just like anywhere else. OP, sounds like you don't mind the warm weather, which is nice, you will love that aspect of South Florida then because we have plenty of it. It seems you would do better to stay in Broward or PB counties, you will find much more affordable housing and more family-friendly neighborhoods.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,475,403 times
OP - The only person that can tell you if you will like Miami is yourself. The best thing is to visit Miami and see if you like it.

As for the things you mentioned, I see a few things. I personally wouldn't raise a family in South Florida, that is just me. I have friends that have left South Florida to raise their children in better places in their mind and then on the flip side I have friends that are raising children in South Florida right now. It all depends.

FYI Miami or South Florida for that matter does not celebrate the 4th of July like the rest of country. Mainly because it is just way to hot, humid, rainy or there are tons of mosquitos that time of year. I never understood the difference until I spent 4th of July in a few other cities.

Your comment about living in small rural areas, well there are not many between Miami and Palm Beach. They are not necessarily the cheaper areas to live, they can be more expensive because we don't have much land left.

South Florida is becoming much more dog friendly, there are plenty of sporting events and sporting things to do. Good thing you like heat and humidity because it can be hot and humid 8-10 months out of the year. We typically only have 4-5 months of perfect weather, hence the term Snowbird season or high tourist season which is from Dec-April when most people come to Florida.

The best thing is come and visit, drive around see if you like it. Visit in August and see it for yourself. Best of luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,271,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
That's just ridiculous. I know plenty of people who survive on ~16k. And they're perfectly content, they find money to do all the things they like. 100k might be needed if you want to live in a 3/2 apartment on South Beach and go out to clubs every weekend, but for what the OP wants, he can live just fine with whatever he has as long as he can budget and makes a few sacrifices, just like anywhere else. OP, sounds like you don't mind the warm weather, which is nice, you will love that aspect of South Florida then because we have plenty of it. It seems you would do better to stay in Broward or PB counties, you will find much more affordable housing and more family-friendly neighborhoods.
yes perhaps living on 16k in hialeah with loads of family and friends to lean on but if youre on your own (as most transplants are) its a little tougher than that.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 AM

67 posts, read 342,305 times
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami