Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM

153 posts, read 288,229 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from Europe and I am international student in Miami. I wanted to ask if by any chance any of you know how much does it cost to take a driving license? I am thinking where to take it, in Europe or Miami, cuz it's pretty expensive in Europe, around 1200$ and I heard in US it's cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM

193 posts, read 372,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter94941 View Post
Hello, I am from Europe and I am international student in Miami. I wanted to ask if by any chance any of you know how much does it cost to take a driving license? I am thinking where to take it, in Europe or Miami, cuz it's pretty expensive in Europe, around 1200$ and I heard in US it's cheaper.
I don't recall the cost in Europe but it's got to be pretty cheap here in Miami. You don't even really need lessons, just someone to show you how to drive around the block (unfortunately!)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,389,406 times
Do you already know how to drive? Not sure how much a driving school costs, but the actual license + driver's test should be less than $100...

Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,894 times
If your intent is then to drive whilst over here in Miami then you probably don't have a choice. Check out the local DMV site - if they class you as resident then you'll need a FL one.

Massive generalization regarding the EU cost too, btw.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,872,343 times
its about 60$ altogether if you dont fail any of the test..

no pro driving classes like in Europe nor are there any multiple driving courses.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 AM

No, I actually don't know how to drive yet. I mean I know how to drive but I haven't been to classes or anything, you know... here, I gotta do the medic exam, then bunch of paper tests for the signs and then at least 35 hours of practice drive with a driving professor and then the main drive with the inspector that determines if I pass or fail... are you guys sating none of this is in US? Wow, if it's that easy, that should be a no-brainer

Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,389,406 times
Quote:
No, I actually don't know how to drive yet. I mean I know how to drive but I haven't been to classes or anything, you know... here, I gotta do the medic exam, then bunch of paper tests for the signs and then at least 35 hours of practice drive with a driving professor and then the main drive with the inspector that determines if I pass or fail... are you guys sating none of this is in US? Wow, if it's that easy, that should be a no-brainer
Yes, you would just have to pass a test demonstrating that you can drive and know the rules of the road here.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 AM

193 posts, read 372,055 times
Quote:
No one in Miami has either.

No seriously, it's that bad.

In Austria you have to not only drive the car on the test, but fix it too... in the US, you just have to drive around the block for 5 minutes without hitting anything.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
No one in Miami has either.

No seriously, it's that bad.
in the US, you just have to drive around the block for 5 minutes without hitting anything.
Haha, u made me laugh!

But since I'm an international student with F-1 visa and no SSN, would I be eligible?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:32 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,947,320 times
Not only do most licensed Floridians never take lessons, it's actually hard to find a place that actually gives professional lessons to adults who don't yet know how to drive! Most "traffic school" places here are actually for if you get a ticket or a DUI.

Most international students I know of come here with international licenses, so I'm not sure if you can get a license without residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: