Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM

55 posts, read 163,085 times

Advertisements

Now, I do not know much about civil engineering or community development, but is it possible to ever extend Miami's suburbs into the evergaldes? I don't know if this is a rhetorical question, but I don't know if it is an option either. It seems a few miles after the Dolphin Expressway ends it's immediately nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C515 View Post
Now, I do not know much about civil engineering or community development, but is it possible to ever extend Miami's suburbs into the evergaldes? I don't know if this is a rhetorical question, but I don't know if it is an option either. It seems a few miles after the Dolphin Expressway ends it's immediately nothing at all.
Not quite. There is a boundary, whose name is escaping me right now, which blocks any further western development. There has been lobbying to move the boundary further west; however, it has not happened yet.

Hopefully it will not happen... there are too many areas that need to be gentrified and many are in much better locations. It wouldn't surprise me if some smart developers have already started buying up lots in places like Allapattah, Little Havana and even Liberty City. All are great locations and have great prices, the question just remains, when will it happen.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
the UDB the urban development boundary. HOLD THE LINE!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 AM

250 posts, read 696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
the UDB the urban development boundary. HOLD THE LINE!

Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I think this whole premise of buying homes or real estate to turn a profit is flawed. That is what got us into this mess in the first place. Home ownership is supposed to represent stability, and when you move on, appreciation is hopefully an added plus. But when that is the sole purpose...it destroys the economy as we saw. Thank god the market corrected here. People were totally delusional, and when you tried to talk any sense into them, they chose not to listen. It is sad because they lost a lot and they made a mess for the community as well. Now we have to work on the economy so people can actually buy the houses that are priced somewhat fairly.

It's ironic, now, property is reasonable, but there are few jobs and little disposable income. 10 years ago, people had plenty of cash, but the prices on housing were so astronomical, no one could buy in, if they didn't already own.

Personally, I don't think Miami's market is as bad as certain other areas, or at least long run. I think it would be worse in Vegas, Arizona, even Lehigh Acres!!! At least Miami has several things in its favor long run. Other boom cities basically were just competing with each other-who was the newest, the biggest, who grew the fastest...

What is your guess as to when the economy might turn around? I am not good at that, honestly I thought things would be better by now...not great but better. Does anyone have any insight?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqpW9pV7VjY

Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniuUT0XSYo&feature=related

Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Funny, I was laughed at when I bought gold in 2000 and buried it. That has outperformed all assets, and cost me nothing in property tax. The hardest part was drilling through the concrete and moving it to a new location. I told people the real estate bubble would burst and they laughed at me. They lost money and I still have my home, and a new one! Once inflation causes interest rates to increase, the Miami bubble is history. The cat 2+ only speeds the drop.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Forget the properties, just buy the platinum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami