Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
there are plenty of wealthy mexicans living in cali. they have been there so many generations that it would be impossible for there not to be wealthy mexicans there. not everything is what it seems either. i used to do freelance computer work and people would refer me to their friends. ive been to some ghetto neighborhoods in primarily mexican and black areas in socal where the house looked like any other house on the block ie. semi-beat up. but you go in through the front door and the house looks slick as hell on the inside. beautiful kitchens, tilework, woodwork etc. they just keep the outside looking the same to camouflage it into the neighborhood. they don't want the exterior to serve as a red flag for burglars. smart.
Those are not Mexicans. They are Americans who are not given the "American" title just because of their last name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Those are not Mexicans. They are Americans who are not given the "American" title just because of their last name.
most people consider themselves americans there regardless of their original nationality. if you dont people consider that odd or are even offended by it.
the workplace there looks like the set of star trek, a bunch of different races/ethnicities living in harmony. yes - for real. nobody cares who is what race because it doesnt matter. people are too busy there enjoying their lives or involved in their businesses or toys to argue over such petty crap.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
"nobody cares who is what race because it doesnt matter. people are too busy there enjoying their lives or involved in their businesses or toys to argue over such petty crap."

Of course, California has no discrimination problems at all.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"nobody cares who is what race because it doesnt matter. people are too busy there enjoying their lives or involved in their businesses or toys to argue over such petty crap."

Of course, California has no discrimination problems at all.
for the most part it doesnt. its exceptions to the rule which turn into media circuses. the west coast is pretty egalitarian.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Miami is the Mobile, Alabama of Latin America

Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM

care to elaborate?

Something like... the most boring place in LATAM, right?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I'll leave it open to interpretation

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM

Miami is the harry Potter of the Never Ending Story.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:34 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"Miami is seen as a Latin American City, not a Cuban city anymore."

Actually, Miami is an American city, was never occupied by Cuba and is not located in what is called "Latin America".

"The word on the street is that Miami is very fashionable in Mexico right now."

A sewer would be fashionable compared to many places in Mexico.

"as a new wave of Mexicans; a professional and entrepreneurial class;"

What, all 30 of them? Will they also vote for the same regulations that will turn the US into the same cesspool Mexico is? By the way, is running a drug cartel considered being "professional and entrepreneurial"?

"mexican real estate agent working in Miami says she averages about 10 sales a year to Mexicans for Miami properties, ranging from $500,000 to $7 million."

WOW! Ten sales a year! I am just astonished, simply astonished. With that much success, I am at a loss on why tens of millions would risk everything to leave that wonderful place and come to dumpy America?

"How are Brazilians viewed since they don't speak Spanish."

Horrible, people even spit on them when they walk by.
Damn dude! Could you possibly be more insulting? Ease up there, man! This ain't 4chan! Get to know a little more about Mexico before you go making those statements. There's a whole side to Mexico and Mexico City that you don't know about. There's a lot of money flowing out of Mexico city, and Miami has a grip on many of my Chilango friends. Right now Mexico City has a tremendous music scene, and Tijuana has a lot of local music and clubs that would rival anything in the states. I will not be surprised at all to see a massive influx of rich folks from DF, because they certainly have the money to spend! Another group I think you can expect to see a lot of in the near future are the younger generation of Romanians due to a striking cultural similarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
there are plenty of wealthy mexicans living in cali. they have been there so many generations that it would be impossible for there not to be wealthy mexicans there. not everything is what it seems either. i used to do freelance computer work and people would refer me to their friends. ive been to some ghetto neighborhoods in primarily mexican and black areas in socal where the house looked like any other house on the block ie. semi-beat up. but you go in through the front door and the house looks slick as hell on the inside. beautiful kitchens, tilework, woodwork etc. they just keep the outside looking the same to camouflage it into the neighborhood. they don't want the exterior to serve as a red flag for burglars. smart.
Totally. I used to clean carpet in the South Bay, in National City, Chula Vista, San Ysidro, Encanto, and Skyline and I can't tell you how many houses I've walked into where the outside was as ugly as a mud fence and the inside was a jaw dropper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I'll leave it open to interpretation
Ok. I'm baffled too, Pear. Cmon. You put it out on the table. Help us out.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Miami is the harry Potter of the Never Ending Story.
LOL!!! XD You never let me down! I think this should be the city slogan for the remainder of 2011 even though it seems to make no sense whatsoever!!! Miami can always use a good non sequitur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami