Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times

Advertisements

1. Improve transits, the metro rail should go out west to kendal area and further south along us 1. We could rent out the railways at certian times to ease rush hour traffic.

2. Offer tax incentive for local employers that pay above cost of living wages, therefore it offsets the tax break because it is spent locally by employees.

3. The investor RE market buying, rehabing and renting is driving rents higher and eventually making areas less attractive to families. There should be a certain fee that non residential owner get other then the homestead exception.

4. I agree more trees and a lot more parks. West Kendal is so congested and has very little green space. I would like to see a limit on these strip malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM

313 posts, read 647,755 times
A much more extensive transit system. All types and modes are necessary. I want metrorail extended out to South Beach and FIU. I want streetcars connecting all the inner city neighborhoods. Some light rail connecting different parts of the county.

Build smarter urban infill developments, the city is already doing this but it needs to stay on the right track and not turn the city into a Brazilian/Asian plateau.

Trees! Palm trees are great and i'm always glad to see them when i'm back in town but we could use some more shade. The County's done a pretty impressive job the last decade, I remember people speaking up around 2003-04 but I didn't have any hope back then. There's still a lot of work to do, especially on commercial thoroughfares and certain areas of the county like Hialeah.

Miami needs a big time art school.

More of this type of cooperation between all South Florida communities.

Most importantly though, Miami severely needs a more diversified economy.

Last edited by unclealbertt; 04-13-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 05:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksophisticado View Post
I just thought I'd share this with you guys. Some of you find me and many others of us who are irritated with Miami a little negative. Im not in Miami anymore Im back in Sunny L.A. but I wanted to share as well as exchange ideas about what could be done to improve Miami. Here are my thoughts feel free to add yours.

1. GET RID OFF THOSE STUPID TOLLS ON THE 836 AND 112
2. MASSIVE FREEWAY CONSTRUCTION AND EXPANSION INCLUDING FINALLY
TURNING ON THOSE METERS AT THE END OF THE ON RAMPS TO I 95
SINCE MOST PEOPLE IN MIAMI ARE CHALLENGED WHEN IT COMES TO
MERGING ONTO AN EXPRESSWAY. PLUS IT WOULD LOOK A LITTLE LIKE
THE BIG SO CAL FREEWAYS.
3. IMPLEMENTING OF A GRADING SYSTEM IN ORDER TO ENFORCE
RESTAURANT CLEANLINESS. THE GRADE WOULD BE POSTED ON THE
WINDOWS AND DOORS OF ESTABLISHMENTS WHERE FOOD IS SERVED
RESTAURANTS THAT SUCESSFUL PASS COUNTY INSPECTIONS WOULD BE
GIVEN HIGHER GRADES WITH HIGHEST OF COURSE BEING AN A.
RESTAURANTS WHO DO NOT PASS WOULD BE GIVEN A C OR D. AND
CLOSED.
BY THE WAY DOES MIAMI DADE CO. ACTUALLY INSPECT RESTAURANTS
FOR CLEANLINESS???????????
4. ADD TRAFFIC LIGHTS TO THOSE HORRIBLE INTERSECTIONS. NOT ONLY
SHOULD TRAFFIC SIGNALS BE PLACED OVERHEAD BUT PLACED AT DRIVER
EYE LEVEL AS WELL AND PLACED ON THE OPPOSITE SIDES OF
INTERSECTIONS IN THE GRASSY ISLAND SPLITS SO THAT DRIVERS CAN
ACTUALLY PULL COMPLETELY INTO AN INTERSECTION IN ORDER TO MAKE
A LEFT TURN AND BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY SEE A LIGHT SO THEY KNOW
WHEN TO TURN BEFORE THE RED SIGNAL FLASHES. IN FLORIDA IT IS LEGAL
TO ENTER AN INTERSECTION ON A YELLOW LIGHT.
5. SPEAKING OF THOSE GRASSY ISLETS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF MIAMI ROADS.
TOO MANY OF THOSE. GET RID OF THAT CRAP ALL TOGETHER.
6. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLANT MORE TREES AND TRY BUILDING ACTUAL
CURBS AND SIDEWALKS. THE FRONTS OF THE HOUSES IN MANY AREAS
MIAMI LOOK SO HORRIBLY UGLY. THERES NO TREES IN SOME AREAS JUST
DIRT AND WILD LOOKING GRASS WITH CARS PARKED ALL OVER THE TOP OF
IT.
Why aren't you worrying about what could be done to improve sunny smoggy LA ? Also, it is rude to put everything in CAPS unless you are stuck there

Old 04-13-2013, 05:31 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
I think Palm Beach, Broward and Dade Counties should work more cohesively together to make a better South Florida.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:18 AM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
There's so many things that I won't even write it; it would take nearly a page. This is a city of contrasts, simple as that; it has several pros and cons, and several things to improve. The only thing I'll say - I believe no one said here - is to crack down on corruption all across the County and Cities within it.

Last edited by JacobMAX; 04-14-2013 at 01:48 AM..

Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM

15 posts, read 21,576 times
What could be done to improve miami?

More DIVERSITY!!!...Bring all the blacks from detroit and montgomery alabama to miami...and you will enjoy the automatic improvement that this will do to miami...

Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guatacon View Post
What could be done to improve miami?

More DIVERSITY!!!...Bring all the blacks from detroit and montgomery alabama to miami...and you will enjoy the automatic improvement that this will do to miami...
How?

Those people are the reason those cities have fallen.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Mass Transit, Mass Transit oh and Mass Transit. Along with improvements of High Schools and more programs which give kids who don't have good role models in their lifes people to be in touch with and see as a role model.

Anyway how do we pay for mass transit. Raise the hotel tax even more raise it 2.5%. What will the tourist notice a few extra dollars on their bill. Raise the sales tax .5-1%, toll money should be used for mass transit not just highways. The first changes and changes which would probably take over 15-20 years to fund.

Metromover up Biscayne Blvd all the way to the Midtown Development. Create a large park and ride lot there
Metrorail or some other type of rail across the Bay to Miami Beach. Don't need it to go anywhere else bu 5th street, then allow a street level system which goes up to 71st street in Miami Beach down Collins Ave.

Metrorail West down SW 8th street all the way to FIU.

Metorail and Metromover run 24hrs Thurs-Sun.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
end the public school system and turn it into a private school system with parents getting a 5,000$ a year voucher to chose where to send there kids. make the metromover 50 cents and increase the sales tax to 1% expand the metro rail to FIU from the airport with stops at dolphin mall, mall of the americas, and FIU engineering campus among others. create a light rail loop to port of Miami from government center or another downtown station, expand metro rail to sobe with just one station there and have a light rail line continue to 41st. Force the Marlins to begin paying back the entire cost of the stadium over the coarse of 20-30 years with interest. make the urban and rural developmental Boundaries permanent. Ban unions from county construction jobs,place term limits on the commissioner and mayor and tie there pay to the mean income of miami-dade county and require them to have another job in the private sector while in office.it's only a start but it's a good one

Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
end the public school system and turn it into a private school system with parents getting a 5,000$ a year voucher to chose where to send there kids. make the metromover 50 cents and increase the sales tax to 1% expand the metro rail to FIU from the airport with stops at dolphin mall, mall of the americas, and FIU engineering campus among others. create a light rail loop to port of Miami from government center or another downtown station, expand metro rail to sobe with just one station there and have a light rail line continue to 41st. Force the Marlins to begin paying back the entire cost of the stadium over the coarse of 20-30 years with interest. make the urban and rural developmental Boundaries permanent. Ban unions from county construction jobs,place term limits on the commissioner and mayor and tie there pay to the mean income of miami-dade county and require them to have another job in the private sector while in office.it's only a start but it's a good one
I agree with a lot of that. But when I put in bold is already done. County and City commisioners have term limits. Now I do not know what Miami City commisioners get for pay but Dade County commisioners get $6,000 a year so they all have other jobs.
Not sure what the term limits if any are for the mayor. But mayors certainly need a decent salary and should not have a private sector job and honestlyI think commisioners should be paid a decent wage and not have other jobs. It helps with corruption and making them only do things that deal with the county. A salary of $75,000 or so.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami