Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Heard that there are flights for Cuban-Americans to visit Cuba? Is that true?

Also, most Cuban-Americans vote Republican?

Also, any Cuban who gets to u.s. soil, gets u.s. citizenship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Yes, Yes, and No. I believe they get residency, they definitely do not get citizenship.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Heard that there are flights for Cuban-Americans to visit Cuba? Is that true?

Also, most Cuban-Americans vote Republican?

Also, any Cuban who gets to u.s. soil, gets u.s. citizenship?
This is not Miami and Cuba this is US law and Cuba.
Yes there are scheduled charter flights to many of the large cities in Cuba.
American Airlines, Gulfstream International Airlines and SkyKing Airlines fly most of the flights. The airlines do not sell the tickets they just offer the planes and crews. There are authorized charter companies by the US Government who can sell tickets once you get the proper authorization and papers from the US government. MIA probably see's around 10 flights a day or so to Cuba. Before recently only MIA, LAX and NY JFK airport were the only airports in the US allowed to have flights to cuba. Now many more can. There will be charters from Fort Lauderdale and Tampa soon. But Miami has many more flights of course compared to other cities. Besides for JFK most other places have a few a week or month. Miami as I have said has many flights a day to many different Cuban cities.

Most Cubans are Republicans. However thins trend is starting to end. Many of the newer Cuban immigrants are more liberal. I think this is true because they lived in Communism and honestly they are used to not working much and IMO are just a bit lazy. So they will vote democrat for more welfare etc.. But older gerneration Cubans and their children are usually Republicans.

If a Cuban gets on dry soil before the authorities find them, than yes most of the time they get residency fairly quickly and will be allowed to apply for citizenship. Basically as long as they make it on dry land they are not here illegally. However if say the Coast Guard catches them and brings them to the US they can be sent back.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Most Cubans are Republicans. However thins trend is starting to end. Many of the newer Cuban immigrants are more liberal. I think this is true because they lived in Communism and honestly they are used to not working much and IMO are just a bit lazy. So they will vote democrat for more welfare etc.. But older gerneration Cubans and their children are usually Republicans.
how did you arrive to that conclusion?

Republican cubans use government benefits also. They vote republican because of exile politics, it has nothing to do with government benefits. Same with the newer generations who vote democrat, they dont agree with the Cuban embargo. It's all about Cuba in Miami Dade.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
how did you arrive to that conclusion?

Republican cubans use government benefits also. They vote republican because of exile politics, it has nothing to do with government benefits. Same with the newer generations who vote democrat, they dont agree with the Cuban embargo. It's all about Cuba in Miami Dade.
I come to that conclusion based on personal experience. Yes they vote Republican for policy benefits.

Many new Cuban immigrants are not used to a life of having to work, this is only natural I don't blame them. They have been living their whole lives in a country where things were given to them but they did not get much. This is not the case for all of them of course. I had a professor who was a fairly recent immigrant came in the late 80s early 90s. He is working as an artist and spanish professor he works hard. But some have their family here and are not used to making a living, they use governement benefits and this is a case for a lot of demographics.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
So how come there are so many cubans who dont speak English well working retail jobs?

I know many cubans who arrive 1-5 years ago who are hard working people with excellent work ethic. I doubt they are the only ones in Miami. I also know plenty who came before the Mariel or were born in the USA who use government benefits.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
So how come there are so many cubans who dont speak English well working retail jobs?

Well they should learn English. And that is not a new Cuban thing. I know Cubans who came here in the 50s and 60s who still dont speak English.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
FlyMIA

The new man or "hombre nuevo" and the "pioneritos por el comunismo, seremos como el che" are just scumbags and lowlifes. They are just like Eastern Europeans, just like Ossies, a bunch of freeloaders that want a omnipresent "State" to solve their problems. They'll vote any "progressive" option, not because of ideology, but because they miss free ration cards "la libreta", free electricity, no taxes and the free caldosa (stew?) of the CDR.

But in Cuba many people are not "hombres nuevos", there's an excellent crop of "capitalistic worms".

Nowdays, people that travel to Miami know that in the USA you have to work very hard...."en la yuma no es fácil", so most of the scumbags stay behind drinking their "roncito", earning a few bucks here and there or going to "missions" in Venezuela.

As to English, Cubans in Cuba have an excellent English level...quite remarkable considering that English was practically non-existent during decades. In fact, you also find a lot of people that speak German, Russian and French.

Last edited by Manolón; 10-19-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Well they should learn English. And that is not a new Cuban thing. I know Cubans who came here in the 50s and 60s who still dont speak English.
____

FlyMIA

Maybe they don't need English.
Cubans created their own economy as early as 1962-65, their own radio stations, their own TV stations and during decades real good customers were people from Latin America.
During decades, the only English speakers they had contact with were WT living in trailer parks, very hostile renés and AA, so there was not much use of English if you were inserted in the Cuban economy as a retailer, realtor, dentist, etc.
You must take into account that many of those people that arrived during the very early sixties spent decades waiting to return.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:16 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
I'm a American of Cuban descent and I have never voted for a Republican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami