Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Look out Team Metro, you're going to be next!

Coral Gables' overnight truck ban ruled illegal - 08/23/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

It's nice when someone challenges an unconstitutional law. More of us need to do this to regain our rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Fight the power

Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
You know that this rule was put in place to keep the city looking nice and to keep certain people out. I think many people move to Coral Gables because of the rules, as long as these rules are in place people know that their neighborhood will look the way it does. And that certain people will not move in to area because of the strict rules. One by one the rules of Coral Gables will be fought probably now, and Coral Gables will in turn start to look like the rest of Miami. I hope the residents that want to keep the rules speak up against this ruleing.

Hell this guy moved into Coral Gables knowing it had lots of restrictions.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:48 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You know that this rule was put in place to keep the city looking nice and to keep certain people out. I think many people move to Coral Gables because of the rules, as long as these rules are in place people know that their neighborhood will look the way it does. And that certain people will not move in to area because of the strict rules. One by one the rules of Coral Gables will be fought probably now, and Coral Gables will in turn start to look like the rest of Miami. I hope the residents that want to keep the rules speak up against this ruleing.

Hell this guy moved into Coral Gables knowing it had lots of restrictions.
Good point brother ... agree with you totally , this guy knew what he was getting into and if Coral Gables turns into the rest of Miami ... I will never set foot in Dade County again

Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Discrimination is wrong isn't it? Excluding "certain types' of people is in fact discrimination. Coral Gables has no business preventing legally registered vehicles from parking on the property of their owner. I know people who have lived in Coral Gables since it was first built! A friend's grandmother is 101 and tells me how Coral Gables was not as restrictive as it is now. You used to be free to build any style you wanted, modern, old world. etc and yet it looked just as good, maybe better then! As long as Coral Gables protects its trees, it will never look like the rest of Miami. The ordinances that protect the large trees are not going to be removed any time soon. Fussy neighbors will make sure that nice areas don't go downhill.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I won't go as far as calling it discrimination, anyone that can afford to live there can (usually those that can't afford to live there anyways, are the exact type of people the city wants to keep out). Many of these gated communities have the same rules CG has, people live in these gated communities to keep certain people out for a reason, to keep their streets safe, clean and prestine. If you can afford to live in these areas and don't mind the rules, why not, this way you know your neighborhood will not look like places like Hialeah, Goulds, Overtown, etc. If someone wants to live in a place as beautiful as CG they then should abide by the laws that have kept the city so beautiful for so long, or they shouldn't move there if they don't like the laws.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I won't go as far as calling it discrimination, anyone that can afford to live there can (usually those that can't afford to live there anyways, are the exact type of people the city wants to keep out). Many of these gated communities have the same rules CG has, people live in these gated communities to keep certain people out for a reason, to keep their streets safe, clean and prestine. If you can afford to live in these areas and don't mind the rules, why not, this way you know your neighborhood will not look like places like Hialeah, Goulds, Overtown, etc. If someone wants to live in a place as beautiful as CG they then should abide by the laws that have kept the city so beautiful for so long, or they shouldn't move there if they don't like the laws.
Again ... excellent points .... man Coral Gables and Miami Beach are the only two reasons left to set foot in Miami Dade and I would hate to see the former go the way of the areas you mention .

Old 08-25-2007, 09:03 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"If someone wants to live in a place as beautiful as CG they then should abide by the laws that have kept the city so beautiful for so long, or they shouldn't move there if they don't like the laws."

If you were talking about a gated homeowner community, or a religious enclave, which did not take any funding from the state or federal government, and followed the fair housing rules, then I might agree with you. However, Coral Gables contains public streets and an infrastructure that benefits from sources outside the city. As such, it has no right whatsoever to exclude people who don't meet its qualifications, or impose rules that interfere with such things as interstate commerce or fair housing.

I've always looked at Coral Gables as being closet racist and discriminatory. I'm not sure that the police department still has the same rules on hiring, but at one point not too long ago applicants had to pass a swimming and floating test. That test all but excluded certain ethnicities, due to differences in body mass placement. The rule had the first glance appearance of being reasonable, due to the possibility of an unconcious officer falling into a canal, but was ludicrous on closer inspection. It did, however, effectively kept "certain people" off the force as neatly as a "blondes only" rule would have done.

What exclusive communities do is foster the "I'm better than the rest of the rest of people" mentality, and allow the people who live there to ignore the consequences of their own actions. The plantation owner might have lived in a big house while his slaves lived in shacks, but he had to see that on a regular basis. The stock manipulator or CEO of a large corporation, living in such a community, can blissfully ignore the real world effects of exporting jobs to China, paying minimum wage for skilled work, and sucking in public funding for tree maintenence, while at the same time surrounding communities lack affordable clean housing, or sufficient money for an adequate police force.

We are seeing more and more "exclusive" communities and condos as the terrified wealthy want something more than a "safe" room, or a fence around their property. This fear exists in the country that has the largest percentage of their population incarcerated of any country in the world. Yep, that's right, this land of freedom has a larger percentage of prisoners than the worst dictatorships. Stop for a moment and consider that such "exclusivity" and a burgeoning industry of security guards might be an indicator of deeper, more serious issues.

The "Beauty" of places like Coral Gables is as fake and surface as pancake makeup on an aging opinionated and intolerant actress. Take a look at the thread about Naples in the Florida forum for another example of a "beautiful" city in Florida.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"If someone wants to live in a place as beautiful as CG they then should abide by the laws that have kept the city so beautiful for so long, or they shouldn't move there if they don't like the laws."

If you were talking about a gated homeowner community, or a religious enclave, which did not take any funding from the state or federal government, and followed the fair housing rules, then I might agree with you. However, Coral Gables contains public streets and an infrastructure that benefits from sources outside the city. As such, it has no right whatsoever to exclude people who don't meet its qualifications, or impose rules that interfere with such things as interstate commerce or fair housing.

I've always looked at Coral Gables as being closet racist and discriminatory. I'm not sure that the police department still has the same rules on hiring, but at one point not too long ago applicants had to pass a swimming and floating test. That test all but excluded certain ethnicities, due to differences in body mass placement. The rule had the first glance appearance of being reasonable, due to the possibility of an unconcious officer falling into a canal, but was ludicrous on closer inspection. It did, however, effectively kept "certain people" off the force as neatly as a "blondes only" rule would have done.

What exclusive communities do is foster the "I'm better than the rest of the rest of people" mentality, and allow the people who live there to ignore the consequences of their own actions. The plantation owner might have lived in a big house while his slaves lived in shacks, but he had to see that on a regular basis. The stock manipulator or CEO of a large corporation, living in such a community, can blissfully ignore the real world effects of exporting jobs to China, paying minimum wage for skilled work, and sucking in public funding for tree maintenence, while at the same time surrounding communities lack affordable clean housing, or sufficient money for an adequate police force.

We are seeing more and more "exclusive" communities and condos as the terrified wealthy want something more than a "safe" room, or a fence around their property. This fear exists in the country that has the largest percentage of their population incarcerated of any country in the world. Yep, that's right, this land of freedom has a larger percentage of prisoners than the worst dictatorships. Stop for a moment and consider that such "exclusivity" and a burgeoning industry of security guards might be an indicator of deeper, more serious issues.

The "Beauty" of places like Coral Gables is as fake and surface as pancake makeup on an aging opinionated and intolerant actress. Take a look at the thread about Naples in the Florida forum for another example of a "beautiful" city in Florida.

Gimme a friggin break ...... sounds like the leftist diatribe I used to hear in my ethics course from Commie professors while at UF .... LOL

Old 08-25-2007, 11:08 AM

There are places more beautiful than Coral Gables with fewer rules, like Southwest Ranches and plenty of small to medium cities in Florida (labelle comes to mind). Like said above, public streets and infrastructure- you have to allow all licensed private vehicles on private property. As for beauty, the real thing comes from its people. Not even a hurricane can sweep that kind of beauty away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami