Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:21 PM

99 posts, read 397,072 times

Advertisements

I'm confused about the new public transportation in Miami and how would residents get around without a car 24 hrs, is the metromover and the metrorail? or just the metromover aka MIA metromover? Please help me. Is it the 24 hr Metrorail or the MIA metro mover 24 hrs? To travel all over Miami Dade county in 2012, because I'm thinking about moving soon or does the public transit still has a lot to improve? Moving to North Miami Beach, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
If you're moving to NMB you'll only have bus service.

Metrorail nor Metromover operate 24 hours, only a few select buses do.

In short, you'll find it very inconvenient, if not impossible to take public transit 24 hours a day. During the day time it is not bad, but if you need a ride at say 3 AM, you'll most likely be out of luck.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Bus service is pretty decent in NMB, it just sucks if you have to go far on the bus (which people often do...). The 3 and 246 "Night Owl" run all night, but it's only once an hour in the late night.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:32 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
None of the rails run 24 hours. Besides for NYC I am not sure of anything city in the US that has 24 hour rail. Chicago maybe? Really have no clue.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Good luck living without a car, unless you live on the beach.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
It's not impossible to get around 24 hours but quite difficult. I have been taking public transportation lately, for entertainment, not work purposes. And what I tell people is that Miami's public transportation does not work with you; you have to work with it. I mean that it takes some effort figuring it all out but it's not impossible. Also, many naysayers say that only the beach is worth living if you don't have a car. That's their opinion. Just live close to a metro rail station and you will be all set.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM

399 posts, read 728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
None of the rails run 24 hours. Besides for NYC I am not sure of anything city in the US that has 24 hour rail. Chicago maybe? Really have no clue.
Most (but not all) of Chicago's "L" routes have 24-hour service. Other than that--maybe Philadelphia (possibly the Subway-Surface light rail lines, not sure if the Broad Street Subway or the Market-Frankford line run all night). In San Diego, I think the Blue Line (runs to the Mexico border) runs all night on Saturday, but not the other days of the week. Can't think of any others.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 PM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
in philly the Broad Street Subway and the El (a.k.a. market-frankford line) do run all night -- as for the trolleys (a.k.a. subway-surface) i cannot remember -- but the 'main artery' busses, and two main subways mentioned are 24/7.... albeit with reduced service like once per hour, instead of every 6-10 minutes like during the day.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 AM

99 posts, read 397,072 times
gymbuff, So only the bus run 24 hrs, right? The metrorail run 5am to midnight, I've heard the metromover run 24 hrs on the internet, but I'm confused. Which is it?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM

309 posts, read 619,550 times
OFGS

ras - look, i no mean to be snippy but GEEEZ - yuh hands bruk or what? You have a computer - go and look it up nahman

"Mass Transportation in Miami"

http://miami.about.com/cs/transporta.../aa062402a.htm

Metromover:

Metromover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operations
There are 21 accessible Metromover stations located throughout Downtown Miami and Brickell roughly every two blocks. The Metromover links all of Downtown and Brickell's major office buildings, residential buildings, hotels, and retail centers. Major attractions such as the Stephen P. Clark Government Center, American Airlines Arena, Arsht Performing Arts Center, the Cultural Plaza (Miami Art Museum, Historical Museum of Southern Florida, Miami Main Library), Bayside Marketplace, Mary Brickell Village, Miami-Dade College and the Brickell Financial District can all be reached by the Metromover.
Running clockwise, the Downtown (Inner) Loop serves all Downtown stations except Third Street station. The Outer Loop (Brickell and Omni Loops) runs counterclockwise and share tracks around the downtown area, serving all stations except for Miami Avenue Station. The Brickell loop runs a line into the Brickell area to the south of downtown, while the Omni Loop contains a line with stations in the Omni neighborhood north of Downtown. This unusual pattern, a circular central loop where the trains running counterclockwise are those running from and back to destinations outside the loop, whereas trains in the opposite clockwise direction are only running a tight inner circular route, is also followed by the New York JFK Airport AirTrain system.
The Metromover car maintenance base is unusually right downtown, at SW 1st Ave and SW 1st St, which lies between Government Center and 3rd St stations on the outer counterclockwise loop, at the point where the two loops split to run in adjacent parallel streets.
All loops run from 5 a.m. to just after midnight, seven days a week. This schedule is adjusted during events. Trains arrive every 90 seconds during rush hours and every three minutes otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metrorail:

http://miami.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1...ansit/rail.asp

Hours of Operation
Metrorail operates from 5 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week.
Metrorail service frequency:
  • Trains arrive every 10 minutes during weekday rush hours
  • Every 15 minutes at midday
  • Every 30 minutes from about 7:30 p.m. until closing
  • Weekend service runs every 30 minutes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metrobus:
http://miami.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1...ransit/bus.asp

Several routes operate 24 hours a day.
  • More Metrobus facts (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/about_facts.asp - broken link)
  • Transit System Map

Last edited by catt6; 11-30-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami