Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,211 times

Advertisements

I'm fed up with my neighbors. They are renters. For the most part they are nice people, but the lady has gotten involved with a man who ***Mod Cut*** fancies himself a builder.

When I first bought my house I realized with a survey that the fence that divides our lots was encroaching 30 inches onto my side. It was a chain link fence in deplorable condition so I chose to tear it down and build a new fence claiming my lost land. I spoke to the owner of the property and asked him to share the cost and he laughed in my face saying that I would be the only one benefitting from this new fence; a nice privacy wood fence.

So I spent my money and had it built legally, with a survey, a permit, and a licensed contractor.

So now... this ***MOD CUT*** builder moves in with the woman next door and gets to work. First he builds an attached roof over their rear porch. I work in the construction and architecture industry and I can tell you right off the bat this thing was crap. It was NO WHERE near to being code compliant. It was an eye sore. It was an unsafe structure and chances are if a Hurricane passed thru it would end up in my yard or coming thru one of my windows. It was just a bunch of 2x4s nailed together with a corrugated metal deck for a roof. Not to mention it encroached into the rear setback by about 12 feet.

My house and their house were built at the same time and from the same plans on identical lots. I thoroughly researched all of the zoning codes on my property. I know what I can and CAN'T build (as a responsible homeowner should) I would love to create a roof over my rear porch but I wouldn't because I know it would be illegal.

Then he goes and builds another 2x4 structure ATTACHED to my new fence with another corrugated metal roof deck as a 'bar area'. BUT what REALLY pissed me off is that he went ahead and without asking my permission painted the entire side of my fence on the other side, and dripped paint on my side throughout.

So I filed a complaint with code enforcement and they came out and made him tear all that crap down. But now I still don't know what to do about the fence. There is no way to strip the paint. The damage is done. I might be able to sand the damage to my side of the fence, but I shouldn't have to incurr any expense or inconvenience for their irresponsible behavior. The owner of the property next door is a jack-ass and he lets his tenants do whatever they want. They have pretty much vandalized my fence.

These people are renters. What can I do? Should I sue the owner? I'm sure he has a security deposit that he can use to pay for the damages, but even then it still wouldn't be enough to replace my fence. Please help.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-09-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Name calling not needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM

102 posts, read 231,849 times
311 is the Dade County information line . They may have the phone number(s) to report a code complaint like the one you describe .

Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
It is illegal to put a roof over your porch?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
When you sue somebody for valdalizing your property, you sue the people who did the damage. It would seem that the neighbor will sue the tennants for any damage they have done to HIS property and you would sue them for damage they did to yours.

What I don't get is, why would you ask a renter to pay for half of your fence? That doesn't make any sense....and you did the right thing calling code enforecement to have them tear down what was ilegally built onto you fence.

Talk to the owner about the fence getting fixed. See what his thoughts are. Most likely the tennants have damaged the inside of the house as well...so I doubt he will use that money to sand your side of the fence. Also, renters come and go from one day to the next...so if you sue, do it fast. Otherwise build a concrete privacy wall so you won't have future issues or plant vines to cover up the shoddy paint smears or shrubs.

I am sorry, bad neighbors are a problem. Good walls make good neighbors. I would just avoid future issues and go with a masonry wall and cut my losses...

Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 AM

309 posts, read 619,783 times
Quote:
why would you ask a renter to pay for half of your fence?
he didn't - this is what the OP wrote: "I spoke to the owner of the property and asked him to share the cost"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami