Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:17 AM

13 posts, read 47,186 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Miami and have not decided where to live yet. My husband's job is in North Miami Beach. We thought it may be fun to rent for a while 6months - 1year and we are thinking about Surf Side. I have two youngs kids, 1 and 3. Can anyone enlighten me about Surf Side....pros, cons? This would be a temporary place until we get a feel for different towns in Miami.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 13,491 times
I have a friend who lives in Surfside. The best part about it is that it is close to the beach and very safe. They have a community center with lots of activities for kids. The downside, is that the area does not feel much like a neighborhood and there is lots of traffic. The prices for houses are very high, too. On the upside, the elementary school is in Bay Harbor Islands which I hear is excellent.

Other communities to look at near N. MIami Beach are Biscayne Park and MIami Shores. I live in the Shores and housing prices are much better than Surfside and it feels much more like a neighborhood--tree lined streets and people out walking their dogs. The elementary school is not as good as in Surfside but they do have an excellent gifted program. The Shores also has lots of private and church schools right in the neighborhood. they have great programs for toddlers that are very, very affordable. The community itself is like going back to the 1950s --everybody knows everybody and everybody looks out for each other. However, it has today's diversity and we all get along. The programs for kids range from ballet, to art to hip hop and gymnastics. Great athletics programs where the parents cheer every kid and don't argue with the coaches. Plus a wonderful aquatic center with an olympic pool for adults and a mini-water park for the kids. We also have our own police force as does Biscayne Park. Response times are measured in seconds not minutes and that makes the area safer than surrounding MIami. What I hear from people when they leave the Shores is that they wish they could take it with them. It's like an oasis in Miami. For your husband the commute to N. Miami Beach would be about ten minutes always going against traffic. : )

Old 09-05-2007, 05:48 PM

13 posts, read 47,186 times
Thank you so much for the info....We were looking into MS and then my husbands family lives in Miami Lakes. So I am torn between being close to a support system or starting from scratch. What are your thoughts about Miami Lakes. It is wonderful to have some feedback from a mother and actually something positive about Miami on this site!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 73,891 times
I love everything "shores mom" said about Miami Shores - maybe you should go into real estate! : )

I am a Realtor and have lived in Miami Shores for over 25 years and it is an amazing community. As for Surfside, it's also a great place to live. The homes are generally smaller and sit on smaller lots, but you can walk to the beach! Moderator cut: link and advertising not allowed on this forum
As for Miami Lakes, it is not an area we service but know it fairly well because my mother-in-law lived there for many years and we just sold her townhouse. The area is definitely more affordable and more diverse.

As for a 6 month rental, that will not be easy since the rental market is HOT in Miami. Renting is a good idea though, until you feel comfortable with the neighborhood and the surroundings.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-07-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,693 times
Default san souci estates

Just inbetween Surfside and Miami Shores is a lovely area and Island called San Souci Estates. One entrance in and one way out with a 24hr security gate.
We are surrounded by young families, kids of all ages, many in the 1 - 3 yr old range. Friendly and private. The homes not on the water range from $650-$850,000. Its located 6 minutes from Bay Harbor, Bal Harbor, Surfside...and on the other side 6 minutes from Miami Shores, North Miami Beach, and down the road is Aventura. San Souci Estates is a hide-away and a little gem. I highly recommend you visit the neighborhood!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
I should also recommend Surfside. I don't live there but I know someone who has and have visited a few times. It is a beautiful community that even has a cute, walkable downtown - which is rare for South Florida! Not only are rents reasonable for the area being so nice and upscale, but the school district is also a good one. I have nothing bad to say about the area, nothing at all. If you decide to look beyond Surfside, check out Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach, Bay Harbor Islands, and Miami Beach itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami