Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,640,353 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC and since I have family and friends in Miami, I've traveled there a few times.

I don't want to be biased but I do prefer NYC overall. I think as a whole it's just simply a more dynamic city. However, there's certain aspects of Miami which I love which I simply can't obtain in NYC. I love Miami's downtown/city/metro area (South Beach, Miami beach etc). I have to say Miami has an underrated skyline and I think it has a great architecture. Of course I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the beaches over there, something NYC has nothing on (in my humble opinion). I love the beaches so much I don't even care too much about going to the beaches over here in the North East.

Of course the weather is always a great place, the beautiful people, and the beach and party culture in my opinion is just simply much better than in NYC. Personality wise, I've found some interesting characters in Miami. I used to kind of hate on Miami for unknown reasons but as I took the time to actually explore Miami, I have a soft spot for it.

Would I like to live there? I'm so-so on that and probably needs more thought but I sure as hell LOVE, LOVE to party there!

So anyway, for those who live there or have been there, what are your thoughts and what do you feel about Miami? Why do you love or hate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 PM

203 posts, read 428,410 times
Moved down here from Manhattan and can't wait to get out. Place is only good for holiday.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Moved down here from Manhattan and can't wait to get out. Place is only good for holiday.
Could you elaborate on this? I really want to move down there in the next 6 months or so from NY and I'd love to hear your experience there. I'm currently living on LI (I grew up here) but I used to live in midtown and I have work (and play) in Brooklyn for nearly 10 years.

It's funny, people who move to Miami from NYC either love it there or hate it. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear your comparisons.

For me, although I love going out in Manhattan, I'm over the club scene and prefer lounges and bars. Im browsing various neighborhoods and although I keep hearing about Brickell, I sometimes wonder if someplace more laid back and on the beach would be a nice change, somewhere like Sunny Isles or Surfside. What area are you living in now and was this an area that was your first choice or are you living there due to budget or proximity to work? If this is the case do you think your experience would be better if you lived in a different neighborhood?

Thank you for reading this post, your input would be greatly appreciated. I wish you happiness whether in Miami, NYC or wherever you may go

Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 PM

358 posts, read 711,157 times
biggest problem with Miami is NYC people who can't decide where is the most 'hip' place for them. Make a decision.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 PM

314 posts, read 817,517 times
I love Miami Beach, everything is so beautiful there. The rest of Miami besides the Bayside area I really don't like.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:02 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouzon View Post
biggest problem with Miami is NYC people who can't decide where is the most 'hip' place for them. Make a decision.
***MOD CUT*** How did you decide to live where you live? Because you sought out information or because someone told you to "make a decision" and you randomly picked a place? I suppose people moving from everywhere else including Europe shouldn't seek information either and just rent the first apartment they can afford.

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-24-2012 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks not allowed!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 AM

128 posts, read 455,414 times
Read This --> //www.city-data.com/forum/23263031-post202.html

Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
I love Miami Beach, everything is so beautiful there. The rest of Miami besides the Bayside area I really don't like.
You should definitely check out these other areas besides MB and Bayside: Aventura, Oletta River Park, Haulover Beach, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables and Miracle Mile, Coconut Grove, South Miami, The Falls (Kendall), southwest Dade agricultural areas (redlands, Homestead), the Everglades, the Keys. Come back to this forum and tell us if everything's ugly outside of MB and Bayside.

Don't just cross over to Bayside, walk a few blocks west (where it does get ugly), then judge the whole city! BTW, some parts of MB don't look very beautiful either, just go up by Crespi Blvd and across the Tatum waterway, where there are lots of rundown buildings and Sec. 8 renters...

Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM

314 posts, read 817,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
You should definitely check out these other areas besides MB and Bayside: Aventura, Oletta River Park, Haulover Beach, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables and Miracle Mile, Coconut Grove, South Miami, The Falls (Kendall), southwest Dade agricultural areas (redlands, Homestead), the Everglades, the Keys. Come back to this forum and tell us if everything's ugly outside of MB and Bayside.

Don't just cross over to Bayside, walk a few blocks west (where it does get ugly), then judge the whole city! BTW, some parts of MB don't look very beautiful either, just go up by Crespi Blvd and across the Tatum waterway, where there are lots of rundown buildings and Sec. 8 renters...
LOL yeah maybe if I ever live in Miami Beach I could check out those areas. I am a bit closeminded about Miami, coming from Broward I think/thought Miami is one big ass ghetto besides MB and parts of Downtown. When I think of Miami I think of Carol City, Overtown, Hialeah, Opa Locka hahah!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM

24 posts, read 55,543 times
OK I must say that I dont like NYC , Nothing personal but I like better outdoor ... Biggest problem in Miami is beside the nightclubs ( dont like) and beaches which I love there is nothing else to do ...

Nothing at all ... For locals it is only shopping malls , restaurants , xpensives nightclubs and beautiful beaches .

I was in Wyoming last winter and 2 weeks arent enough for all activities .. Of course if you arent looking for nightclubs .
We went to Orlando Fl two weeks ago and there are lot of places to go and have fun ... But Miami is a death city . Sorry fellows but it is what it is

For a very touristic city the Miami dade gov doesnt care to find new alternatives , there is a big plan about bring a new Vegas to miami but it is only plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami