Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,387,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Move up north to Georgia (Job opportunities )
Please stop telling people this.
Our unemployment is double digits here in Jawjuh.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM

196 posts, read 590,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Is not unemployment still 99 weeks?
Unemployment doesn't work that way. 99 weeks is the absolute longest someone can get benefits, but the only thing you're guaranteed is the initial 26 weeks. It's a tiered system...once you exhaust the 26 weeks you can apply to receive the next tier..each tier has different timeframes. But if congress decides to stop passing unemployment extensions, then everyone will only be able to finish out the tier they are currently on...and then benefits stop.

FL unemployment payments are fairly low - especially considering cost of living in miami. Not to mention the longer you're unemployed, the less chance you have of getting a job (or an interview, for that matter).

I believe OP would be able to still collect FL unemployment while living in Chicago, and that way they could save up $ while staying with family and looking for work.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,836,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Nice objective viewpoint from a moderator no less!!

What dump do you live if I may ask?
Just because he is a moderator doesn't mean that he can't express his opinion. Everyone else on this forum seems to be able to express their opinion, right. Besides he is not posting as a mod, it is not in red.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,981,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Just because he is a moderator doesn't mean that he can't express his opinion. Everyone else on this forum seems to be able to express their opinion, right.
He can say whatever is on his mind. But writing off an entire city as a cesspool? Come on.....that is total B.S. And I am free to call him on it.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,836,131 times
Quote:
He can say whatever is on his mind. But writing off an entire city as a cesspool? Come on.....that is total B.S. And I am free to call him on it.
Actually there are cities like Gary In., Canton NJ. and Detroit Mi. that can be written off entirely as a cesspool. I know, just like you know, that Miami is not a total cesspool. Who cares if others think differently, don't take it personal. Like the old saying goes opinions are like ---holes everybody's got one.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 AM

22,405 posts, read 29,529,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Go. You don't realize what a cesspool Miami is until you leave.
Couldn't agree more..

(coming from a 32 year Miami Native who moved to NC (loved it!!) had to move back to Miami and got out two years later)

Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 AM

22,405 posts, read 29,529,040 times
OP-sorry to hear about your job loss but, seriously, if you have no ties here in Miami go yonder and enjoy!

Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,860,395 times
Quote:
I notice people who use that sort of language are not Hispanic or limited regarding Spanish. The adjectives used are a thin veneer to express dislike of the hispanic culture and its predominace in the metro area.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,417,540 times
Quote:
Nice objective viewpoint from a moderator no less!!

What dump do you live if I may ask?
Sorry you were offended. I used to live in Miami. It is expensive to live there based on the salaries. And the traffic..I could go on....

Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,860,395 times
Housing was excessively overpriced during the boom years. Mine tripled in value! Reasonable prior to that. Prices were normalized during the Great Recession.

I feel the same about NYC in the two counts mentioned above and Los Angeles and Chicago and I could go on as well. Would never term them a cesspool.

You want to see a cesspool? Head down to Santo Domingo and cross the river to the Bacardi plant side and see City of God Dominican style. Same in Panama, same in Lima,etc.

Cesspool? You must be a cupcake!

Last edited by Felix C; 05-04-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami