Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 AM

888 posts, read 887,589 times

Advertisements

As some of you probably know, Jackson has been laying off close to 1000 people this past month, and UM-Medical school has just started last week to lay off 1000 more people as well as a few hundred temps.

Well, I got my lay-off notice from Jackson on Monday. They will be doing some "re-hiring" back for a limited number of positions at lower salaries, but the amount of people who want those greatly exceeds the number of positions, so I was told by a couple of execs that it will be very difficult to get hired back.

So, I am thinking of leaving Miami and moving to the Midwest where I also have family. they have invited me to come up and stay with them and look for work in Chicago, etc. I have nothing tying me down here, and the Miami economy lacks middle-class professional job opportunities compared to other large cities in the US.

People say you should line up a job before moving, but since I have no job right now, why not experience something different and take the opportunity to get out of Miami and start a new life somewhere else?

Like I said, I really like Miami, but I am feeling restless, and with 2000+ of health/hospital administration professionals now unemployed, my intuition tells me to use this as an opportunity to travel to a new place and see new things. Maybe retrain/reinvent myself...

Any comments or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
^^

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully you find something and FAST. Chicago is a GREAT city! You will be there in time to partake of the Taste of Chicago in June/July.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
I think you have the right mentality to make it where ever you go. With the flood of people now looking for a job in South Florida, I don't see how everyone will get a job some place else in the next month, as there just aren't enough openings to support the flood of people into the job market I suspect.

Chicago is a great city, too cold and snowy for me to handle. They also have Garrett's which thank goodness there isn't one here...

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
Best to leave while you can still afford to. In a depression, you need to be as close to friends and family as possible. Miami combines high cost of living with low pay to create the ultimate third world experience in the US. You need to get off the peninsula to have more possibilities.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM

328 posts, read 1,397,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Di Meo View Post
A

So, I am thinking of leaving Miami and moving to the Midwest where I also have family. they have invited me to come up and stay with them and look for work in Chicago, etc. I have nothing tying me down here, and the Miami economy lacks middle-class professional job opportunities compared to other large cities in the US.
I moved out of Fort Lauderdale about 7 months for a new job in Chicago and haven't moved back. I haven't missed Fort Lauderdale at all, minus the warmer winters (the only drawback I had to leaving).

Chicago had a lot of middle-class professional job opportunities, and I was able to secure my job prior to moving back here. There a lot of jobs out there, especially if you are motivated to pursue them, and there are a lot of great companies in the "Loop" here.

You may miss the weather, and the familiarity of the city, but you will enjoy the Midwestern friendliness and having other job opportunities outside of the few big employers in South Florida that are not service-oriented.

Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
As some of you probably know, Jackson has been laying off close to 1000 people this past month, and UM-Medical school has just started last week to lay off 1000 more people as well as a few hundred temps.

Well, I got my lay-off notice from Jackson on Monday. They will be doing some "re-hiring" back for a limited number of positions at lower salaries, but the amount of people who want those greatly exceeds the number of positions, so I was told by a couple of execs that it will be very difficult to get hired back.

People say you should line up a job before moving, but since I have no job right now, why not experience something different and take the opportunity to get out of Miami and start a new life somewhere else?

Like I said, I really like Miami, but I am feeling restless, and with 2000+ of health/hospital administration professionals now unemployed, my intuition tells me to use this as an opportunity to travel to a new place and see new things. Maybe retrain/reinvent myself...

Is not unemployment still 99 weeks? Take stock of your finances before leaving. Will you still receive unemployement of leaving Florida? Did you not receive a severance package?

Are you admin or heathcare function staff? Admin can transition to many other positions in South Florida.

Do not leave until you have saturated all openings here with your resume and/or contacted anyone you know in the field. Unless you really do not wish to work here as your first choice.

Go ahead and peruse Chicago for your field. You do not have to be physically present to apply do you? Use a Chicago address from your relations.

Mobility is the key to landing a job and advancing a career in my opinion. It is fine to go but be positive and keep track of your finances.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,788 times
Quote:

Move up north to Georgia (Job opportunities )

Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Go. You don't realize what a cesspool Miami is until you leave.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,827,191 times
I would leave and start a new life (job, coworkers, house, scenery, friends) but I wouldn't go to Chicago. Chicago has all of the problems Miami has multiplied by 3 or 4.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,979,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Go. You don't realize what a cesspool Miami is until you leave.
Nice objective viewpoint from a moderator no less!!

What dump do you live if I may ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami