Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami the City for You?
Yes 13 40.63%
No 14 43.75%
Not Sure Yet Im Waiting For It To Get Better ! 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 AM

317 posts, read 819,515 times

Advertisements

What Do You Think About Miami?

Is it a fun place to live?
Are the people here the type you want to start a life around?
Are there jobs here other than hospitality and healthcare?
What else is there to do other than go to the beach and clubs?
If you are not Hispanic/Latin or don’t speak Spanish can you thrive here?

I was born in Virginia and raised here in Miami and I've always noticed since childhood the drastic contrast in attitude of people everywhere else compared to Miami.
Once you hit the Broward County line I find people are much friendlier and pleasant. Even a tough city like New York seems (in my opinion) to have much friendlier people. I’ve traveled to many cities across the country and I find Miami to have potential to be a great city, but something is lacking.

Don’t get me wrong we have beautiful beaches, a downtown with great potential and great schools, but it’s as if Miami doesn’t want to do anything with all this potential. The nightlife sucks if you’re not into South Beach and clubs, which is why I mostly hangout in Midtown/Brickell or Broward.

I own a small business here and also finishing up an MBA program here so I will be tied to this city for the next year, but I'm strongly thinking of moving elsewhere.

Again I’m not trying to bash Miami, it’s my second hometown and made me who I am, I'm just try to find something to love about it, but I can’t.

What are your thoughts on the city?
(Please Respond If You Are A Local)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
I think you should just go where you think you will be happy and not be concerned about why other people are happy/unhappy regarding a subject of sufficient breath and interpretation as liking a particular city.

No one ever likes the company or conversation of a whiner or indecisive person. Just go and be happy.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-15-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think you should just go where you think you will be happy and not be concerned about why other people are happy/unhappy regarding a subject of sufficient breath and interpretation as liking a particular city.

No one ever likes the company or conversation of a whiner or indecisive person. Just go and be happy.
Of course thats what i will do , this is a disscussion board so im utilizing it for the topic at hand ..***MOD CUT***

But in any case anyone with an opinion on the topic please feel free to respond.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-15-2012 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Flaming/Off Topic

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM

313 posts, read 725,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post

Is it a fun place to live? That depends on what you like to do. If you like beaches and water sports (not sexual ones) as well as night clubs then yes you would like it.
Are the people here the type you want to start a life around? Some places have nicer people than others. Do you prefer living in a homogenous group like hispanics, blacks or jews? Do you prefer living in a more mixed place? there are nice and not so nice people anywhere. The NE area has more Jewish, black and gay folks than lets say the SW areas. The central and SW areas has many hispanics.
Are there jobs here other than hospitality and healthcare? Jackson Memrorial and Universtity of Miami just layed off a bunch of people so the answer would be no.
What else is there to do other than go to the beach and clubs? Swamping in the everglades, snorkeling in the keys, boating in the bay, bicycle riding in various locations, also many parks and green space.
If you are not Hispanic/Latin or don’t speak Spanish can you thrive here? If you live on the Beach, Aventura, North Miami, North Miami Beach you will find more non spanish speaking communities.

I was born in Virginia and raised here in Miami and I've always noticed since childhood the drastic contrast in attitude of people everywhere else compared to Miami.
Once you hit the Broward County line I find people are much friendlier and pleasant. Even a tough city like New York seems (in my opinion) to have much friendlier people. I’ve traveled to many cities across the country and I find Miami to have potential to be a great city, but something is lacking.

Don’t get me wrong we have beautiful beaches, a downtown with great potential and great schools, but it’s as if Miami doesn’t want to do anything with all this potential. The nightlife sucks if you’re not into South Beach and clubs, which is why I mostly hangout in Midtown/Brickell or Broward. Unfortunately midtown lacks the excitment of SOBE. I also wish they had better venues away from SOBE.

I own a small business here and also finishing up an MBA program here so I will be tied to this city for the next year, but I'm strongly thinking of moving elsewhere. So are we.

Again I’m not trying to bash Miami, it’s my second hometown and made me who I am, I'm just try to find something to love about it, but I can’t. Totally understand...Miami sucks and I've been here since 1970.

Please read my responses in Blue

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Please don't use red.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Please read my responses in RED
Yes, your right I guess I’m looking at it from a perspective of someone that likes water sports like boating, swimming, fishing, but my life doesn’t revolve around it. I also have done enough clubbing/partying and now like to enjoy the nightlife in different ways, which Miami doesn’t offer.

I grew up in Miami Shores near North Miami, but now live near the American Airlines arena downtown and also lived in the dorms at FIU south during my Bachelor's Degree days, so I have been in all Hispanic environments and I am not Hispanic so having to know Spanish in an American based restaurant, store...etc really got to me.

It must be a culture difference because in my eyes Hispanics, which whether you agree or not in all of Miami they are the Majority and are a very closed community people...where else in the U.S. does an immigrant population assimilate (except L.A./Texas because I'm talking legal immigrants), but refuse to learn the language or even admit that it’s a good thing to know the language of the country they are in...Once you leave Miami and don’t speak the language it is going to be a struggle no matter how you look at it.

I know in New York I would go to a Spanish, Asian, and Ethiopian..Etc restaurant and they spoke English..It keeps business and communities thriving and doesn’t isolate you.

Also the poll seems to show that most people that grew up here dont like it so I'm not alone.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Then you will move. No city is for everyone. Miami is certainly not for everyone. I agree with you that Miami have great potential and IMO it is only a matter of time before it starts figuring things out. How long is the question. People fail to realize all the time how young Miami is. Just because it is a large well known city does not mean it should be compared with NYC or Chicago etc.. Miami is an extremely young city that makes it have some disadvantages.

What is good about Miami?
The weather,
tropical feel/climate if you like it some people dont. I like afternoon thunderstorms, I like mild winters, I do not mind the heat. I like the vegetation and I like the animals that live here. What other city in the U.S. is seeing a dolphin or manatee from your backyard or balcony a normal thing. Where else can you go see Aligators in the morning and swim in a coral reef in the afternoon.

The beaches here are great.

The food is very good

The night life is one of the best in the world

Even though the fans are not the best the sports here is great. 4 major sports teams, and a major college sports program and an up and coming one in FIU along with the best high school football and baseball in the country.

Miami will soon have two very nice Art and Science museums.

A very good downtown with decent transit

Nightlife is not centered in one area. Miami Beach, Midtown, Brickell, South Miami, Coconut Grove, Warehouse District, Fort Lauderdale.

I am a huge aviation fan, Miami is one of the besst aviation cities in the world and one of the most important historically and now.

Diverse population compared to the vast majority of the U.S.

Plenty of things the city offers. It is just not for everyone. Just like NYC or D.C. is not for everyone.

As for the Spanish problem, it is a problem with the attitude some of the immigrants here have, especially the newer ones. However most of the time I have had not much problems especially in the areas I am usually in. Most of the hispanics here do speak English. But I agree I hate it when they either do not try to or basically look down at people who do not speak Spanish. I speak decent Spanish, people in my family speak fluent Spanish. We prefer English and it always catches some people off gaurd when after wanting to speak English they say something in Spanish and you go ahead and speak right back at them in Spanish. Always a fun practice.

As for the poll, most people who enjoy this city would not even open this thread and more imporantly most people who enjoy it do not come online to talk about it. Well because they enjoy it and naturally more people take actions to complain about something than say something is good.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Then you will move. No city is for everyone. Miami is certainly not for everyone. I agree with you that Miami have great potential and IMO it is only a matter of time before it starts figuring things out. How long is the question. People fail to realize all the time how young Miami is. Just because it is a large well known city does not mean it should be compared with NYC or Chicago etc.. Miami is an extremely young city that makes it have some disadvantages.

What is good about Miami?
The weather,
tropical feel/climate if you like it some people dont. I like afternoon thunderstorms, I like mild winters, I do not mind the heat. I like the vegetation and I like the animals that live here. What other city in the U.S. is seeing a dolphin or manatee from your backyard or balcony a normal thing. Where else can you go see Aligators in the morning and swim in a coral reef in the afternoon.

The beaches here are great.

The food is very good

The night life is one of the best in the world

Even though the fans are not the best the sports here is great. 4 major sports teams, and a major college sports program and an up and coming one in FIU along with the best high school football and baseball in the country.

Miami will soon have two very nice Art and Science museums.

A very good downtown with decent transit

Nightlife is not centered in one area. Miami Beach, Midtown, Brickell, South Miami, Coconut Grove, Warehouse District, Fort Lauderdale.

I am a huge aviation fan, Miami is one of the besst aviation cities in the world and one of the most important historically and now.

Diverse population compared to the vast majority of the U.S.

Plenty of things the city offers. It is just not for everyone. Just like NYC or D.C. is not for everyone.

As for the Spanish problem, it is a problem with the attitude some of the immigrants here have, especially the newer ones. However most of the time I have had not much problems especially in the areas I am usually in. Most of the hispanics here do speak English. But I agree I hate it when they either do not try to or basically look down at people who do not speak Spanish. I speak decent Spanish, people in my family speak fluent Spanish. We prefer English and it always catches some people off gaurd when after wanting to speak English they say something in Spanish and you go ahead and speak right back at them in Spanish. Always a fun practice.

As for the poll, most people who enjoy this city would not even open this thread and more imporantly most people who enjoy it do not come online to talk about it. Well because they enjoy it and naturally more people take actions to complain about something than say something is good.

Very True...

Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post

Is it a fun place to live?
Are the people here the type you want to start a life around?
Are there jobs here other than hospitality and healthcare?
What else is there to do other than go to the beach and clubs?
If you are not Hispanic/Latin or don’t speak Spanish can you thrive here?

Don’t get me wrong we have beautiful beaches, a downtown with great potential and great schools, but it’s as if Miami doesn’t want to do anything with all this potential. The nightlife sucks if you’re not into South Beach and clubs, which is why I mostly hangout in Midtown/Brickell or Broward.

I own a small business here and also finishing up an MBA program here so I will be tied to this city for the next year, but I'm strongly thinking of moving elsewhere.

Again I’m not trying to bash Miami, it’s my second hometown and made me who I am, I'm just try to find something to love about it, but I can’t.

1) It can be fun. Depending on your hobbies
2) No
3) Yes, but you must require Espanol
4) Not too much
5) Not really

Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM

367 posts, read 941,044 times
What keeps me here is the weather and me being close to the Caribbean/South America where my fam is from. Miami is full of nasty people though, straight grimy folk that will leave you stranded to die. You get no help and no love from strangers. I think even NYC got friendlier people.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,900 times
[quote=traveler36;24309685]What Do You Think About Miami?

Is it a fun place to live? It depends o your taste and personality... this city is not for the shy and intellectual nerd. I'm not a nerd, but I'm not either a typical Miami girl.
Are the people here the type you want to start a life around? NO!! not my type of guys and not my type of girlfriends either. Most in Miami think with their second head or/and they lack neurons.
Are there jobs here other than hospitality and healthcare? Not really, that's mainly the economy in SoFl... you'll hardly find hi tech and professional jobs.
What else is there to do other than go to the beach and clubs? nothing to be honest... I guess play Wii....
If you are not Hispanic/Latin or don’t speak Spanish can you thrive here? You can, but it will be HARD and you'll get tired of the lack of English in an AMERICAN city, lack of culture and the 3rd world mentality....

I you want to pursure your MBA degree... I have many friends with engineering and business degrees working as servers and other unemployed... sad, but true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami