Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 22,613 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I moved down from the Northern NJ/NYC area to Weston, approximately 6 months ago, with my parents. As a recent college graduate, I was left with no other alternative. Unfortunately, entry-level salaries aren't conducive to self-sufficiency for liberal arts students, especially not in NYC suburbs. I am now looking into moving out on my own. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a little bit about me and what I'm looking for:
I'm in my early twenties, and I'm currently working in Boca Raton. I'm not into the club or bar scene; therefore, proximity to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/SoBe is of no consequence to me. I'd love to find a funky little place with a main-street vibe, live music venues and independent book stores; as well as a place where I can walk my Great Dane without the scrutiny of pretentious stares. I guess what I'm really looking for is a laid-back place without all of that pseudo-Wisteria Lane drama.

Oh, and reasonably priced. Is that asking too much?

Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njloverinfl View Post
Hi everyone,

I moved down from the Northern NJ/NYC area to Weston, approximately 6 months ago, with my parents. As a recent college graduate, I was left with no other alternative. Unfortunately, entry-level salaries aren't conducive to self-sufficiency for liberal arts students, especially not in NYC suburbs. I am now looking into moving out on my own. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here's a little bit about me and what I'm looking for:
I'm in my early twenties, and I'm currently working in Boca Raton. I'm not into the club or bar scene; therefore, proximity to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/SoBe is of no consequence to me. I'd love to find a funky little place with a main-street vibe, live music venues and independent book stores; as well as a place where I can walk my Great Dane without the scrutiny of pretentious stares. I guess what I'm really looking for is a laid-back place without all of that pseudo-Wisteria Lane drama.

Oh, and reasonably priced. Is that asking too much?

Thanks, in advance.
Downtown Hollywood, Nuff said. Formerly dead strip, but it's livening up, it sounds a bit like what you are looking for. You won't have that whole Indie thing going on, but there are even a few bookstores!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 PM

845 posts, read 2,744,193 times
I agree. I think Hollywood is your best bet.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM

I figure I add that it's even relatively affordable. I have a friend that rents a 1 bedroom in a slightly-shabby but ultimately safe, relatively clean apartment building on the good side of U.S.1 right off Youngs Circle for 750 a month (!!!!!). Look for some of those really old Spanish style buildings east of US1, they are charming and cheap, and if the surrounding neighborhood looks nice, it is. I do have to admit though, some of those neighborhoods fringing on Dixie Highway are a really good place to get mugged or buy crack. Hollywood is a very "fringey" locale, but you can make it there safe and cheap, but still have some charm and just enough grit to make it interesting.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I do have to admit though, some of those neighborhoods fringing on Dixie Highway are a really good place to get mugged or buy crack.
Ha! While getting mugged and buying crack are two of my favorite passtimes, j/k, are there any areas that are a little safer? Thanks for all of your input so far!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njloverinfl View Post
Ha! While getting mugged and buying crack are two of my favorite passtimes, j/k, are there any areas that are a little safer? Thanks for all of your input so far!
It's plenty safe, just be street smart and don't wonder on the wrong block. Your never going to get that funky "feeling" you are looking for (And I know exactly what you are talking about) without a little bit of grime and crime anywhere. The bad areas are pretty well separated from the good areas. I'm not talking about getting mugged in the middle of the daylight in those bad neighborhoods either.They aren't THAT bad, and to be honest I feel safer walking on the main strip there then I do in Coral Gables. Like I said, stay away from Dixie Highway, and stay east of U.S.1, and your cool. The only strip that even comes close in funk down here (besides the expensive Miami Beach) is in Delray Beach, and in all honesty Hollywood is safer (I WOULD feel unsafe going in some of those neighborhoods in Delray during the daylight).

Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 PM

64 posts, read 244,386 times
Hey NJ, I too did the same thing as you, what did you major in and what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I am having a bit of trouble finding a job, just trying to get some feedback. I am finding a huge difference in salary and find the cost of living here to be about the same as northern NJ.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Default Take a close look at Delray Beach

If you work in Boca Raton, take a close look at Delray Beach. True there are some "funky" neighborhoods, but you can pick your spots and find something acceptable. Not sure what rents are now right downtown, with everything within walking distance, but generally speaking rental rates are comparable with the better towns and neigborhoods of southeastern Florida (not many of those).

A lot of new developments went up in downtown Delray during the boom (some are probably coming on line right now), so you have to check carefully if any of these failed: there may be some "ghost pockets" in the midst of some "shiny-looking" new buildings, whether permanently or during the off-season (which is most of the time). But you may be able to get a good deal on an annual basis right about now.

Obviously the advantage of Delray over Hollywood is commute time, no small consideration, but, true, Hollywood probably does beat Delray in terms of "funkiness" in the opposite sense of the term (or maybe in both senses, depending on exactly where you venture).

Anyway, good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful127 View Post
Hey NJ, I too did the same thing as you, what did you major in and what do you do if you don't mind me asking? I am having a bit of trouble finding a job, just trying to get some feedback. I am finding a huge difference in salary and find the cost of living here to be about the same as northern NJ.
I majored in English, and I'm a proofreader at a publishing company. I didn't have much trouble snagging a gig, but the position is pretty specialized. What job field are you looking in? In my field, the salaries are pretty comparable. But you're right about the cost of living. I was shocked to find that it was about the same. I'm missing home, severely. Where in NJ are you from?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM

64 posts, read 244,386 times
I majored in Communication and minored in Spanish, and I still have yet to find anything in my field. I am from Hackensack....still getting used to FL. A HUGE difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami