Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times

Advertisements

Isn't it amazing that in Miami there is no reliable public transit from the port of Miami to the airport to downtown and Miami Beach? Is this a stupid city or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
what do you think taxis are for? How many people are going to lug around a bunch of luggage unto a bus or train? I believe there are also private shuttles to & from the airport to the port itself but not sure.

By the way there are buses to Miami Beach. I wonder about your threads sometimes, it seems you hate Miami and bash it at any chance you get.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 AM

40 posts, read 102,026 times
Miami and Fort Lauderdale do not have busses. Only taxis. We should have the opportunity to have both. Is not a matter of hating the city is a matter of being realistic.
Thanks,

Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,931,076 times
I think tallrick's seen enough of Miami to know its true potential.

Although I love Miami, I think not having a solid public transportation is pretty stupid. I would love to see a metro line going from MIA through downtown and into Miami beach.

1: Planning to fly in and out of Miami would be a whole lot easier.
2: I'd go to Miami beach/downtown a lot more often. Parking is a pain and it's not in my budget to ride the taxi.
3: In places like SF, tokyo, london, and NY, I've always felt a sense of autonomy when moving about thanks to their subways.

Plus, it's so much easier to drag your bike, luggage, baby carriage, etc onto a metro than into a taxi or bus.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 AM

16 posts, read 85,470 times
Default need it

i think miami does indeed require more public transport, with the whole country, and many places in Europe 'going green' why not? miami and miami beach need to be connected somehow (other than by roads) , not everyone can afford $30-40 cab fares.

All real 'World-class' cities have these in place, Miami needs to catch up, and set the standard for other U.S cities.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:39 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,307,757 times
I thought the taxi driver's lobby was the group that originally killed the plan to have metrorail go to the beach.
As for way it doesn't go to the airport (and never will) the answer is in those parking garages. Look at how much money they make in parked car fees. They could never make that money up with metrorail fairs. Metrorail runs at a loss but parking garages make tons of money. After all, there isn't much opperating cost in a parking garage compared to a train.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:24 AM

16 posts, read 85,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I thought the taxi driver's lobby was the group that originally killed the plan to have metrorail go to the beach.
As for way it doesn't go to the airport (and never will) the answer is in those parking garages. Look at how much money they make in parked car fees. They could never make that money up with metrorail fairs. Metrorail runs at a loss but parking garages make tons of money. After all, there isn't much opperating cost in a parking garage compared to a train.
yes, true, money is the root problem....but what is the point of having all this money if the enviroment ends up like down-town L.A?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
My point exactly. This was just another subject I posted to show how Miami sabotages its own economy. Penny wise and dollar foolish. By not having mass-transit Miami sets itself up for a hard crash when oil becomes more valuable. The Metro-rail is MetroFail because of deliberately avoiding any meaningful stops. Downtown Miami is useless due to parking issues. It's folly to think that locals will give up their cars for slow mass transit, but targeting tourists with free time and money to spend would turn Miami mass transit profitable. My vision would be for a tourist to arrive at Miami International or the Port of Miami and be able to go to their hotel. Many tourists travel light and would use the MetroRail or could use the hotel bus to load their luggage. Once at the hotel they could use transit to move between the destinations. The rental car companies and taxis would lose business but who cares? Taxi driving is dangerous, and less taxis at the airport would be a good thing. Do you think that tourists really want to spend more on a taxi than a meal?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
In actuality the Baylink plan which would have connected Miami & Miami Beach was opposed by Miami Beach's own mayor Dermer even though many beach residents wanted the link. As for the link to the airport the Earlington Heights to Miami Intermodal Center expansion link just outside the airport will finally connect it to Metrorail.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,578 times
I've dragged my luggage from National Airport in DC onto the metro to get to my hotel in downtown DC with absolutely no problem. It was a million times better experience than having to sit in traffic in a taxi.

I've also done this in England, dragging luggage from a town outside of London to downtown London. We even had to change from the commuter train to the Tube and then walk from the Tube station, but still way better than a taxi or even a bus because we cut out all the city traffic.

This type of transit is invaluable to the economy of a large metro area, especially one that relies so heavily on tourists. Less $$$ spent on transit means more $$$ to spend in restaurants, shops, etc. for those vacationing in the Miami area. Not to mention, more people would be able to afford to vacation there in the first place if you take out the rental car expenses and exorbitant taxi costs. And that is a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami