Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:08 AM

118 posts, read 372,126 times

Advertisements

Miami is a crazy place. Anyone coming from New York will see some shocking things. A couple of examples:

1) I was surprised that during the 4th of July fireworks display in south beach that anyone can shoot up their own fireworks. During and after the show, there was a non-stop display of Miamians shooting up bottle rockets and even some big starbursts in the sky! I saw a 10 year old kid shielding his face as he was lighting up a roman candle right next to one going off.

2) I rarely ever see anyone pulled over for speeding, but I do see lots of people going ridiculously fast (over 100mph) on the way home at 2am. I guess the cops are busy tending to the accidents and broken down cars which seem to be everywhere! Plus most lights turn to flashing reds after midnight, which lots of cars just blow through without even slowing.

3) Apparently, almost anyone can get a concealed carry pistol if they want to! It's perfectly legal to keep a gun in your car! That means if you decide to change lanes and the guy behind decides that 3 car lengths wasn't enough, he can just whip out his pistol and put a couple of rounds into you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post
Miami is a crazy place. Anyone coming from New York will see some shocking things. A couple of examples:

1) I was surprised that during the 4th of July fireworks display in south beach that anyone can shoot up their own fireworks. During and after the show, there was a non-stop display of Miamians shooting up bottle rockets and even some big starbursts in the sky! I saw a 10 year old kid shielding his face as he was lighting up a roman candle right next to one going off.

2) I rarely ever see anyone pulled over for speeding, but I do see lots of people going ridiculously fast (over 100mph) on the way home at 2am. I guess the cops are busy tending to the accidents and broken down cars which seem to be everywhere! Plus most lights turn to flashing reds after midnight, which lots of cars just blow through without even slowing.

3) Apparently, almost anyone can get a concealed carry pistol if they want to! It's perfectly legal to keep a gun in your car! That means if you decide to change lanes and the guy behind decides that 3 car lengths wasn't enough, he can just whip out his pistol and put a couple of rounds into you!!
yea if someone pulls a pistol on me they will eat lead from Mr. Shotty. Hello conceal carry is legal not just in FL
but in a lot of states. Live in NYC, CA, or DC if you dont want such

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post

1). Who cares. They are fireworks. You think Miami is the only place where people use fireworks?

2). Guess you have never driven in Biscayne Park, Bal Harbor, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor, Miami Shores, Surfside, Pincrest, Alton Road, Aventura. There are plenty of places where speeding will get you a ticket. If you are just talking about highway I agree speed enforcement is not very strict thankfully! I have seen plenty of people going fast at 2am, if you are going 100mph you are getting pulled over but on an empty dry road and you are going 80mph there is a decent shot you wont be pulled over thats a good thing. Going 80mph on a empty freeway is not dangerous. I have passed FHP and MDPD going 80-85mph in 55 zones but since there are poeple going faster those are the ones they wait for. MDPD has more important things to take care and FHP does there job fine. I never heard of someone complaining about speed limits not being enforced especially on the highways at night.

As for the flashing lights those are a fantastic thing. They chose intersections that are not busy during those times. Flashing Yellow should be approached with caution around the speed limit, you do not need to stop when it is yellow. I almost never see people blow by flashing red lights. Flashing red means STOP. It is great because it makes driving at night much more enjoyable not waiting at lights that do not need to be turned on and it is safer not having to wait at lights late at night. It is a great thing and more cities should do it.

3). That is a Florida state law and it also like this in many many states. Actually you do not even need a permit to carry a gun in your car. See Castle Doctrine. If someone does what you just said that is murder and last time I checked that happens all the time in NY.
Do you think criminals care if they have a permit or not when they carry their guns??

I assume you are coming from NYC. I know that is a nanny town now where they even regulate what size soda you can drink so if you want the government to do everything for you, just go back New York.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
I agree with #2 and #3,people are idiotic nuts here,you have to watch out for them 24 hours a day.As far as fireworks,I don't see the big deal,my neighborhood is full of smoke every 4th of July with people shooting fireworks.Young kids should not be lighting them but I don't see the problem with adults doing it.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
1). Who cares. They are fireworks. You think Miami is the only place where people use fireworks?

2). Guess you have never driven in Biscayne Park, Bal Harbor, Sunny Isles, Bay Harbor, Miami Shores, Surfside, Pincrest, Alton Road, Aventura. There are plenty of places where speeding will get you a ticket. If you are just talking about highway I agree speed enforcement is not very strict thankfully! I have seen plenty of people going fast at 2am, if you are going 100mph you are getting pulled over but on an empty dry road and you are going 80mph there is a decent shot you wont be pulled over thats a good thing. Going 80mph on a empty freeway is not dangerous. I have passed FHP and MDPD going 80-85mph in 55 zones but since there are poeple going faster those are the ones they wait for. MDPD has more important things to take care and FHP does there job fine. I never heard of someone complaining about speed limits not being enforced especially on the highways at night.

As for the flashing lights those are a fantastic thing. They chose intersections that are not busy during those times. Flashing Yellow should be approached with caution around the speed limit, you do not need to stop when it is yellow. I almost never see people blow by flashing red lights. Flashing red means STOP. It is great because it makes driving at night much more enjoyable not waiting at lights that do not need to be turned on and it is safer not having to wait at lights late at night. It is a great thing and more cities should do it.

3). That is a Florida state law and it also like this in many many states. Actually you do not even need a permit to carry a gun in your car. See Castle Doctrine. If someone does what you just said that is murder and last time I checked that happens all the time in NY.
Do you think criminals care if they have a permit or not when they carry their guns??

I assume you are coming from NYC. I know that is a nanny town now where they even regulate what size soda you can drink so if you want the government to do everything for you, just go back New York.
I do agree with you on the 3. and the 1. And driving at something like 65 to 70-something (even 80) is mostly fine if the road is empty, yes; but over 90 or 100+ is just too much, it would be not only be illegal but also improper in a civilized, developed society. That's one of problems with this city (and several other cities in the country as well, obviously); (some) people forget that these laws exist and are to be enforced - for the well being of the whole community -, and the thing is, if it was a law enforcement officer going at that speed, people would be immediately calling for his resignation and arrest.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
I agree with #1 and 3. If fireworks could only potentially blow somebody's own head and limbs off, fine, not my problem. What my concern is that they can potentially catch OTHER people's things on fire or injure people standing by them.

#3, thank the rednecks in north and central FL. Nothing but a bunch of gun toting yokels up there. It's way past time to divide the state into two.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,806 times
Out of all the ways Miami is crazy you pick those? You ain't seen nothing yet. In fact, those you listed aren't really big deals except maybe number 2.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
That's one of problems with this city (and several other cities in the country as well, obviously); (some) people forget that these laws exist and are to be enforced - for the well being of the whole community -, and the thing is, if it was a law enforcement officer going at that speed, people would be immediately calling for his resignation and arrest.
Law Enforcement officers have been going at those speeds and not even when on duty. Some have had actions taken against them, a few have been fired but most were just told do not do it again.

Quote:
I do agree with you on the 3. and the 1. And driving at something like 65 to 70-something (even 80) is mostly fine if the road is empty, yes; but over 90 or 100+ is just too much, it would be not only be illegal but also improper in a civilized, developed society. .
70 is a joke. Some roads have 70mph speed limits. Given that, 80 is a none issue especially in a 70mph zone. Even 90mph in a 70 zone certainly not a 55 zone is not bad. We have the same speed limits we had in the 1950s in the cars we drive now. That is insane if you ask me. But I agree when you are doing 100 in a 55 or 115 in a 70 that is too much. Go to the race track.

Quote:
I do agree with you on the 3. and the 1. And driving at something like 65 to 70-something (even 80) is mostly fine if the road is empty, yes; but over 90 or 100+ is just too much, it would be not only be illegal but also improper in a civilized, developed society. .
Are you calling Germany an undeveloped and non-civilized country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I agree with #1 and 3. If fireworks could only potentially blow somebody's own head and limbs off, fine, not my problem. What my concern is that they can potentially catch OTHER people's things on fire or injure people standing by them.

#3, thank the rednecks in north and central FL. Nothing but a bunch of gun toting yokels up there. It's way past time to divide the state into two.
Plenty of people in Miami enjoy have their gun rights. Well consituational rights according to the law.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
Quote:
Law Enforcement officers have been going at those speeds and not even when on duty. Some have had actions taken against them, a few have been fired but most were just told do not do it again.

70 is a joke. Some roads have 70mph speed limits. Given that, 80 is a none issue especially in a 70mph zone. Even 90mph in a 70 zone certainly not a 55 zone is not bad. We have the same speed limits we had in the 1950s in the cars we drive now. That is insane if you ask me. But I agree when you are doing 100 in a 55 or 115 in a 70 that is too much. Go to the race track.
I mostly agree with this. On the last post I was only talking about a 55 zone in that example. 80 or 85 or something like that is okay in a 70 zone. As 40-45 on a 35 zone is perfectly fine as well, and so on. All that depending on the quantity of traffic, obviously.

Quote:
Are you calling Germany an undeveloped and non-civilized country?
Well, that's a very controversial subject actually (Autobahns), and is a topic of discussion there; also the number of restrictions in Autobahns are on the rise in the last years. But that doesn't matter, as we're talking about Miami.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Don't criticize North and Central Florida, South Florida is far from perfect. In fact we probably have more issues down here than they have up there. Examples: public corruption, dirty politicians, crime, drugs, gangs, grow houses on every block, insurance fraud, rudeness in public and aggressive drivers just to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami