Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

Bermuda's lowest temperature is 44F, which is a normal winter night here in SoCal. Miami's lowest temperature is 27F, which sounds like a night typical of the DC Area, where I lived from 2008-2011, during the wintertime. Plus, Bermuda has never seen snow. South Florida has. While Bermuda may have more "mild/cool" days and nights than Miami, doesn't get those same bouts of extreme cold that South Florida and northern Bahamas get, although those bouts of very cold weather don't last as long as the cool Bermuda winter weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Bermuda's lowest temperature is 44F, which is a normal winter night here in SoCal. Miami's lowest temperature is 27F, which sounds like a night typical of the DC Area, where I lived from 2008-2011, during the wintertime. Plus, Bermuda has never seen snow. South Florida has. While Bermuda may have more "mild/cool" days and nights than Miami, doesn't get those same bouts of extreme cold that South Florida and northern Bahamas get, although those bouts of very cold weather don't last as long as the cool Bermuda winter weather.
Bermuda doesn't get nearly as warm as Miami during the day either. Miami will get cold bursts for maybe a few nights a year, and be warm the rest of the way, while Bermuda doesn't get real warmth at ANY time of the day until late March. If I wanted beach weather in the winter, Miami would be a much better option than Bermuda. You can't compare both climates since Bermuda is a true subtropical climate. Miami is more like beach weather in the winter with an aberration of few cold nights here or there -- nothing subtropical about that.

And, the snow comment was ridiculous since there are cities in Florida above Miami that have never recorded snow.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalMiamiZone11A View Post
I think Bermudas climate is more textbook subtropical while Miami's is borderline tropical. It's winter is more warm than mild despite the cold fronts and as cityking mentioned, it can house tropical vegetation to full maturation. Miami may not be in the tropics, but that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have a tropical climate.

If you closely look into the word "tropical", it means "of, or relating to the tropics." Meaning, it just has to have most of the characteristics of the tropics, not actually be located IN the tropics. Miami is an 11A zone while the Florida Keys are 11B. I think these are where the true tropical boundaries begin from the northern hemisphere. A transitional climate would be somewhere like Naples, FL where its average January temperature oscillates the 64.4 F mark every year with a zone below 11.
It's been argued that the Tropics actually start around Lake Worth/West Palm Beach. I kinda noticed this, when I was in Miami last week, and we drove from Miami to Port St.Luicie Florida(an hour North of West Palm and 2hrs North of Miami). While we were in PSL, the temps there were in the 50's, with wind. People were out and about in sweaters and scarfs. It was pretty cold in PSL. When were were in Miami, it was as warm as 70 degrees. Driving on I-95, there seems to be a stark temperature shift driving from county to county. You really notice the diffirence.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Bermuda doesn't get nearly as warm as Miami during the day either. Miami will get cold bursts for maybe a few nights a year, and be warm the rest of the way, while Bermuda doesn't get real warmth at ANY time of the day until late March. If I wanted beach weather in the winter, Miami would be a much better option than Bermuda. You can't compare both climates since Bermuda is a true subtropical climate. Miami is more like beach weather in the winter with an aberration of few cold nights here or there -- nothing subtropical about that.

And, the snow comment was ridiculous since there are cities in Florida above Miami that have never recorded snow.
The snow comment is true. It has, in fact, snowed (flurries) in South Florida, including Miami, twice: January 1977, and January 2010. As for Miami being better beach weather in winter, yes, but nobody in Miami, except tourists and snowbirds, swims in the ocean in Miami during that time of year anyways. Why? Because the water is 72F (not bad, but a bit nippy), the ocean breeze is cold, and the weather in the daytime is usually 75F. That's warm, but not "beach weather" warm. If people want a beachy vacation in winter in the country, they usually go to Hawaii, Puerto Rico or the USVI, where the daytime temperatures are in the 80sF, the water is warmer, and the nights don't go below 65F (Miami in wintertime has nights in the 50s on a regular basis).

Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM

118 posts, read 372,003 times
People can be quite unfriendly here, so in that way, Yes Miami is a cold city.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
If the average climate is enough to sustain tropical vegetation year round, it is in fact tropical climate.

This might help

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Hell no! Especially not with this horrible 70+ heat we are having this January. I just came back from Tennessee, it was 28 degrees a week ago. I still didn't find that all that cold. This horrible humid heat is really pissing me off, as it's now JANUARY! Miami is not a cold city by any stretch. It's Winters can't even classify as cool as only the lows are cool, the highs are way too warm.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
If the average climate is enough to sustain tropical vegetation year round, it is in fact tropical climate.

This might help

I don't know how reliable that map is. It classifies Minneapolis as "cool summer," and it's Summer's are all but cool.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Clearly not cold, at least for me, even up there in the Tampa metro - a place which is not far - I just checked, it's 61 degrees (comfortable reasonable temperature in my personal opinion) - meanwhile in Miami it's 72 now. And we're in January already.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
The map is hard to take as reliable, considering it has Ft Myers Fl and Wilmington DE having the same climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami