Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM

25 posts, read 102,596 times

Advertisements

I am currently enrolled in a community college in North Carolina, but once i transfer I want to go to a unversity in Miami, particularly UM of FIU. My dream has always been to be a cop, and watching shows like Dexter and CSI Miami inspired me to go move to Miami to go to school and hopefully be a cop. But I haven't heard a lot of good things about it, particularly the lack of diversity and high cost of living. Is it really worth moving there, is it nothing like you see on TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM

32 posts, read 64,386 times
To become a cop...? I'd say stay in nc....cost of living is too high....plus out of state tuition...with a cops salary ull be in debt for a long time

Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
I am going to get a job as an oil change technician at JiffyLube once I graduate from Georgia Tech with a Master of Science in Engineering Science and Mechanics.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
A few things:
1. The last thing I would suggest is going to an expensive private university to become a Cop. You don't even need a degree to be a cop. It helps and makes you a better choice but you don't need it. The last thing you should do is pay out of state tuition if your goal is to be a police officer.

Wanting to move down here from TV shows is always a bad idea in any city. The cost of living is very high. No idea where in the world you got the idea of lack of diversity though?? Maybe if you lived in NYC or London but coming from North Carolina the amount of diversity in Miami would be very high.

Now if your goal is to become a cop here in Miami I still see no reason to come down here until you want to do a Florida police academy.

Sum it up: Stay where you are.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,196 times
Actors in those shows portray detectives, not cops. Apparently any uneducated ****** can become a cop as long as you are good at bullying people around and acting tough.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
I used to watch New York Undercover when I was a kid... but I was never motivated to go to Harlem and become a detective. It's a dangerous life.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM

25 posts, read 102,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
A few things:
1. The last thing I would suggest is going to an expensive private university to become a Cop. You don't even need a degree to be a cop. It helps and makes you a better choice but you don't need it. The last thing you should do is pay out of state tuition if your goal is to be a police officer.
I use the word cop very loosely. Maybe I can start out as a cop but I want to be a detective and eventually be in the DEA.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
If your going to be a cop, UM is a waste of money. If you were going to become a doctor or maybe a lawyer UM will be worth the money, there are many professions you can get a great education at public universites saving you a lot of money. I would suggest staying in NC and finishing up your schooling there, you'll save more money as you wouldn't be paying out of state university costs.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM

270 posts, read 703,430 times
Have a couple of friends (engineering and architecture major) going to UM and it's pretty expensive for residence let alone out-of-state students, yet the atmosphere is great and is very diverse (so I've heard). 3.5GPA and be a minority might get you some scholarships in UM. FIU would be my last option for school down here. Have you looked at other schools? FSU, UF, UCF, USF, etc.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaniac93 View Post
I use the word cop very loosely. Maybe I can start out as a cop but I want to be a detective and eventually be in the DEA.
You have seen to many glorified movies and programs depicting Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: