Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM

11 posts, read 23,224 times

Advertisements

Please help! we have to move in 3 months for hubbys job. He will work in Coral Gables. He doesnt want to drive more than 40 min for his commute. We desperately need SAFE and highly rated schools. We WERE looking at Wellington, but he doesnt want to commute that far every day. We can only pay $2500 or less. Im loosing sleep trying to find something SAFE, with an excellent school within his commute time. He also PREFERS only newer homes (which I realize may NOT happen. PLEASE...any advice on areas to look into?

So far on other threads here Ive read: West Pembroke Pines, West Miramar, Most of davie, Southwest Ranches, Sunrise, Cooper City, Weston, Plantation, Palmetto Bay, Kendall (any advice about Kendall lakes?), Coral Gables (not even CLOSE to our price range).

Thanks!
Kristen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
You've mentioned some areas that would meet most of your needs. Let's talk about the most glaring issue with those areas based on what you mentioned:

- Commute. I'm going to assume since you didn't mention otherwise that he'll be commuting during rush hour.

East Kendall would get you the shortest commute in the mornings, and depending on where exactly in Coral Gables he's headed, he should be under the 40 minute mark. From Palmetto Bay or Kendall Lakes, you're probably talking more between 40 mins and an hour, although to be honest leaving 15 or 20 minutes earlier in the mornings can have a major effect on how much time you spend sitting behind the wheel. From Broward, making it to Coral Gables in under 40 minutes is not really feasible. There's a major construction project going on right now at the interchange of State Roads 826 and 836, which are your two major options for a West Broward-Coral Gables commute; one day, it'll make things easier, but right now, it's a bit of a sandpit.

- Safety. All the areas you mentioned are suburban and generally safe for families. As with any big city, stuff happens; but I would feel safe raising a family in any of those areas (I grew up in Kendall Lakes). If I'm not mistaken, there are some areas of Sunrise and Cooper City that are kind of rough, but some that are very nice and safe as well. Someone may want to correct me on that.

- Schools. How many children do you have and how old are they? These areas have some of your better schools in South Florida. Palmetto Bay has probably the best non-specialty public high school in Miami, Palmetto HS. Everyone's got their own opinions on Miami-Dade Public Schools, so here's mine: The better the area, the better the school for elementary schools; I don't always find this to be the same for middle and high schools. That could perhaps be the time, if the upper level schools in your area aren't to your liking, that you start looking for private or magnet/specialty public schools.

- Price. Are you looking to buy or rent? How big a space do you want? As far as only newer home, he may need to bend on that one. In South Florida, generally: Newer Home ==> Farther West ==> Longer Commute (to get back East)

Hope this helps, with a little more info on what you're seeking, we can probably come up with some additional neighborhoods to look at.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:14 PM

53 posts, read 93,365 times
LitByKristen is my kind of Mom! I'm right there with you...only I'm probably slightly more needy.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Wow...Thank you soo much for all of your help!
Children and ages:
We have 2 children in H.S., one starting preschool, and one starting Kindergarten. I looked into Kendall Lakes because we could buy a home there. But the elementary schools seem soo far behind technology-wise. For instance...here in AZ, my childrens books are on the internet, they all use laptops, ipads and kindles. When I looked at one of the rated "10" Elementary Schools in Kendall Lakes, they only had 10 computers which were dated. It just put me off, thinking the school doesnt care about, or invest in the kids. Crime-wise they had a school on lock down last year, and that scares me deeply. Ive never dealt with anything like that, and dont wish to.

Rent or Own: For now, we will probably need to rent. We are looking to pay about $2500/mo in rent. We do want to buy, but we're looking at an FHA loan which means we need to go through a NEW home builder. So, I have no idea what were going to do there.

Other circumstances: I have 2 Golden Retrievers which Im not even remotely willing to give up. Ive noticed soo many homes dont allow dogs, OR they dont have gated yards.

Thank you for all of your advice, and the time youve taken to help me!

Kristen

Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM

In regards to his commute time, he would probably be able to come in later/leave later.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM

RelocatingResearcher are you employed by Yahoo and being forced to move also? haha

Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM

53 posts, read 93,365 times
No. I can work anywhere, thank goodness. Husband's job. But I'm quite excited. Just nervous and clueless. When you have kids you want to do your homework. Like you, I'm looking at all the same issues.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM

261 posts, read 704,533 times
Kristen,

As far as technologies in schools, I can't speak for a specific situation in a specific school. However, just FYI, there was recently a vote passed allotting more than $1 billion for new technologies in schools. It can be a touchy subject down here politically, so all I'll say is that hopefully it will improve the technology situation in schools down here.

Voters approve $1.2 billion bond issue for schools - Schools - MiamiHerald.com

I don't think you'll find all books on the internet here yet. Miami-Dade is the fourth largest school system in the country, and big means a paradigm shift like that is pricey.

As far as schools on lock-down, that doesn't mean that the neighborhood is crime-ridden; Kendale Lakes is far from. I'm totally in favor of locking down schools to keep kids safe; it's standard practice down here when the cops are looking for a criminal in the area.

Considering the ages of your kids, what you want to pay, for a place with a yard, and not too much of a commute, I suggest you look at the US1 corridor between SW 104th St and SW 152th St. Very suburban communities, good schools (Palmetto HS is very good), close to neighborhoods such as Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay, and safe. I'd say the one thing your hubby might have to sacrifice is the commute (maybe 45 mins to an hour in the morning at peak times), but of course the farther north you can get, the easier it will be. Not too much of a price to pay, IMO, to nail everything else on your list.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
I would recommend here (Key Biscayne), would be nearly a great fit in your case. But unfortunately the price range for a large single family house is far above $2,5k per month. Try something in Palmetto Bay, I believe it's within your budget and it has the best - or almost the best - public school district in the County. It's safe and nice, reasonable commute, but sometimes you do hear about burglaries/robberies in the area (its SW end borders West Perrine, which is a ghetto; properly dangerous area).

Also SW Broward (West Pembroke Pines, most of Davie, Weston - but on its southern end, for a less worse commute, and also I should warn that it's a pricey place, it may be a little over budget), it's safer, more family friendly, traffic is less worse within the area, it's more well developed and the houses are newer, nicer than basically anything in Dade in that budget. Also schools are better than nearly anyplace in Dade (the only that could compare would probably be the Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay district.) On the downside, commute would be way worse - probably from approx. 40 mins. up to 1hr or slightly more, especially if there's an accident or construction or something.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Unhappy Thank you!

Thank you for your help. Im happy about the new 1 billion for technology. That is good to know! My husband looked and decided on Cutler Bay or West Kendall last night BUT I searched about that area this morning, and shootings, and gangs, drug dealers...generally its NOT safe. Would you all agree? Im going to tell him to check Palmetto Bay.

We can afford Broward, I begged him yesterday to commute to Pembroke Pines...LOVE that area!! But he refuses. I want to live in Pembroke Pines or Wellington (not commutable). He wants to buy a home, and so he has been looking at all of the new homes by Lennar. What I have seen this morning, those new homes are NOT coming with safe neighbors.

Yahoo's (hubby's employer for the last 5 yrs.) new CEO, Marissa just made the announcement that ALL satellite employees would have to come in 5 days a wk, no exceptions BY June. So relocation is a must. With all of the crime, Im starting to think we may be better off In SF. =(

This is really affecting my sleep.

Kristen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami