Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,442 times

Advertisements

Hi all! So I leave Sunday and fly down to Ft. Lauderdale until the following Saturday. Me and 3 of my roommates (all 22 years old) will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale. I am assuming we will taxi into South Beach/Miami once or twice to go out during the week. I just need a suggestion of how much money I should bring total (including one grocery trip at beginning for breakfast/lunch foods and alcholol for lounging at the pool), nights out, dinners out, taxi fares, etc. I was thinking $500 since it will be five days but should I bring more? Any advice needed! Also, what fun places are there to eat/go out in Ft. Lauderdale proper for four 22 year old girls? Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
$500? You mean just for the taxi, right? That should be enough.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
$500? You mean just for the taxi, right? That should be enough.
I had started to type out the same thing earlier and got a call which took me away from the computer for a bit. LOL!

OP- A taxi will run you around $125 (round trip) from Ft. Lauderdale down to Miami.

For every dinner you should plan $30-$35 for yourself (1 entree and 1 drink, plus tip. If you're going to drink more or have appetizers, dessert, etc. obviously that will add up quick)

I don't go clubbing but I know it isn't cheap!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,442 times
haha thanks guys this is why I asked because I am bad at estimating how much to bring on trips. obviously taxis would be split between 4 every time. but yeah dinners and drinks are where I am really worried. how long/far is a taxi between ft. lauderdale and miami? is there a better way to get to south beach than taxi? thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Buy alcohol to drink before you go out. Drinks at the clubs will be expensive. Have one or two but so any drinking or want either in your hotel or at the cheapest bar you can find.

It's about 22 miles from Lauderdale to Miami depending on traffic 30-45mins. Look up the best route on map quest. You should also look into how much it would cost to have a driver for the night. It might not be that much more but I have no idea it might be $300.

Dinners depend on where you want to eat. Want to eat at nicer places and have drinks plan on spending at least $50 on dinner. As for groceries normal prices as most cities in the country.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0lumbus0h View Post
haha thanks guys this is why I asked because I am bad at estimating how much to bring on trips. obviously taxis would be split between 4 every time. but yeah dinners and drinks are where I am really worried. how long/far is a taxi between ft. lauderdale and miami? is there a better way to get to south beach than taxi? thanks
Rent a car an drive down A1A. It's one of the most beautiful drives in the USA.

And get a convertible.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It's about 22 miles from Lauderdale to Miami depending on traffic 30-45mins. Look up the best route on map quest. You should also look into how much it would cost to have a driver for the night. It might not be that much more but I have no idea it might be $300.
From the beach in Ft. Lauderdale (say Las Olas) to Ocean Drive is closer to 28-30 miles and would take about an hour by the shortest routes down A1A or US1. Going down I-95 would be quicker, but would add more miles to the taxi meter. Even going down I-95, trying to make SoBe in 45 minutes would be a challenge. Forget about 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Rent a car an drive down A1A. It's one of the most beautiful drives in the USA.
I love Miami Beach and in fact live on A1A, but there is absolutely nothing particularly beautiful about the drive from Dania down to South Beach.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:11 AM

319 posts, read 612,181 times
Rent a car, day trip to SoBe, find a hotel for 24 hours, walk SoBe, party, crash at hotel, get up drive back.

It's your first, make a whole day of it.

Father to daughter, be careful about all those free drinks that will come your way. There maybe something extra mixed in to keep the party going.. Sorry, I have a 22 myself.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I love Miami Beach and in fact live on A1A, but there is absolutely nothing particularly beautiful about the drive from Dania down to South Beach.
You're not seeing the beauty in your own backyard brother. The ocean's right there all the way - it's immensely gorgeous. It even smells wonderful. How many places have that? In addition to the many beautiful hotels along the way! Miami Beach - Ft Lauderdale is like a mini-Manhattan. All those hotels in a row are awesome. You're just too used to it. The Blue/White/Green natural color scheme of Miami's ecology is gorgeous to those coming from the dirty old rust belt. Especially in sunny 80 degrees after suffering 3 - 6 months of brutal winter. And come on! Passing places like the big long causeways up into Broward, the beautiful buildings in Hallandale and Sunny Isles, the beautiful condos on the various islands - then that awesome bridge crossing over into Bal Harbor. Marinas! Cute little Surfside. Iconic places like the Fountainbleu. Good lord, what more do you want?!

OP, I entirely disagree with this poster. I think you will LOVE A1A. Absolutely do not take 95 - that's just an ugly highway like anywhere else for those in a hurry. Don't be in a hurry. Enjoy the ride and the scenery. I'm dreaming of that ride right now - that I did 25 years ago. It's unforgettable.

This is A1A. Tell me that's not beautiful.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Plus, all those tropical trees lining the highway. Very pretty indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami