Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 PM

313 posts, read 647,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
You brought up the idea so I'll be happy to debate it. How are "whites" the privileged ones when minorities are the ones who receive free benefits and handouts for simply being non-white? What about the Dayton, Ohio and New York police departments, which lowered the test score passing ranges specifically because African-American trainees weren't scoring high enough? The thought that the average white person in the U.S. is privileged simply for their race is a load of **** and a clearly bigoted idea.
This is way off topic and you're already coming awfully close to name calling, i'm not having this discussion with you.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
How are "whites" the privileged ones when minorities are the ones who receive free benefits and handouts for simply being non-white?
What he's saying is that when white people consistently show up at a place as agreed upon, they shouldn't be complimented for that because white people should never be complimented for anything. Instead, let's use the slur "white privilege" to criticize them for being respectful of other people's time and expecting the same from others.

This works for the entire list and pretty much any topic imaginable.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 AM

233 posts, read 449,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
He thinks he's being funny, but he sounds miserable and he's making himself more miserable. He misses his white privilege, that's the root of his entire article. I guarantee you he'll be just as miserable anywhere he goes, his cynicism is what's killing him.

He's a Shiloh playing a game in which they have everything to loose and nothing to gain....but I guess that people like him are masochists. You have to be a masochists to live in a place inhabited by people you hate.
The city should have a fund to allow the repatriation of all those alienated souls. I bet that Matzor will be better in Brooklyn.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:40 AM

233 posts, read 449,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
I kind of liked this one:

14. It’s not diverse – Miami is two-thirds Hispanic. A majority figure on par with those bastions of diversity Tulsa and Salt Lake City.

people will usually only say such a thing about a majority white place.

Matzor probably comes from some ghetto in which 100% of all the inhabitants belong to his ethnicity. Those people can't live among gents without getting paranoid.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 AM

798 posts, read 1,459,391 times
Default Lol, absolutely agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanofbethesda View Post
next time restrain yourself.

If you think that article is either funny or true, then i guess in at least your case, item #21 from that list is accurate.
:d

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM

118 posts, read 371,927 times
The office comment is spot on, at least for me. Ive been working in offices for 17 years in more than 12 companies and ive never seen an office environment like this. Its like detention hall in high school.

The transient comment is also so true. Of all the new comers I met, all but one have moved away.

I have to add that miami is also shockingly clique. It is very, very hard to make friends with a local. People are not friendly here, especially not to outsiders.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
If we went through the list someone could say that everyone of the things are true to some extent. Some may be exaggerated, like everyone lives at home. While this is exagerated, you will find many people male and female in their late 20s early 30s still living with their parents here in Miami driving their leased three series BMW. All be it a financial reason or a cultural reason (woman living at home till they marry) it is true though.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM

492 posts, read 790,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
It's the way he describes some of those realities, like if they were something negative. It's like being in a house and telling outsiders to be aware of the blue sofas just because they MIGHT not be red enough for their liking. Obviously it is not of HIS liking, but he writes an article anyways. How does he know people are going to find that fact as something relevant to be aware of? He is only expressing what he hates... and that turns his writing into an opinion based article.

He also goes on saying that things might work well for the outsider while in Miami... assuming once again that people might see some of those realities as problems.
So tell me, what are the positives that he mentioned that he flipped around to look bad in your opinion. I'm just wondering which of that stuff is positive.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM

492 posts, read 790,608 times
Quote:
What "white privilege" are you talking about? Last time I checked affirmative action and other benefits in the U.S. are only for people who were born non-white. That should give you an idea about who are really privileged in this country.
Quote:
You brought up the idea so I'll be happy to debate it. How are "whites" the privileged ones when minorities are the ones who receive free benefits and handouts for simply being non-white? What about the Dayton, Ohio and New York police departments, which lowered the test score passing ranges specifically because African-American trainees weren't scoring high enough? The thought that the average white person in the U.S. is privileged simply for their race is a load of **** and a clearly bigoted idea.

Ok, first of all affirmative action doesn't have anything to do with race quotas. That's is a myth and a lie. Race quotas are illegal in the U.S. No one can do that legally.

Second, white privelage deals with the fact that minorities are often criticized and judged harder then whites in western nations. Anytime a minority does anything wrong the entire race is blamed by the white majority. Minorities have to disprove stereotypes before being looked at as individuals and personal merit. Whites do not have that issue. This has nothing to do with a few instances where some employer tries to get more blacks as anyone can find many more good ol boy examples of whites getting preferal treatment so that is a moot point.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Funny article, but what's with the "white privilege" nonsense?

The Hispanic majority in Miami...they're not white? The pre-Mariel Cubans talking about how their grandparents came direct from Spain? The landed and rich Venezuelans who feared Chavez would take away their stuff and give it to the black people? The Argentinians who believe they are God's gift because they're "Italian" descent?

Coulda fooled me.

Or are they only "white" when convenient, but not white when also convenient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami