Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM

87 posts, read 422,129 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from Connecticut. We are looking for a nice suburb, within 40 minutes of the international airport (husband works from home and travels) with excellent public schools. We can spen $600,000 to $800,000 on a home. We would like a newer, custom home with a private backyard.

We also can live in Houston, Texas. Any input on the benefits of Miami over Houston would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
For that price range bal harbor, aventura or coconut grove gets my vote.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Houston Vs Miami on 800 grand...hmmm.....

Houston has far worse traffic, more air pollution, more sprawl, issues with illegal immigration and a high overall metro crime rate, and stifling summer humidity that makes Florida seem dry. But it also has nicer people, very low overall cost of living, a powerhouse economy, potentially better education, world class culture and shopping, and your 800 thousand will buy you an estate in a top notch area like Sugar Land.

Miami (well, lets analyze Broward, you won't live in Miami-Dade county looking at your criteria) has a high cost of living, a flat (but seemingly diversifying) economy, crashing real estate market, overcrowded schools in many areas, and a lot of crowds in general. But it also has a slightly lower crime rate, cleaner air, a better climate, nicer beaches closer by, MUCH MUCH MUCH less traffic (Broward County anyway), and still very dynamic.
Both have similar social/ethnic relations- among the best in the country (outside of Dade anyway).

Within 40 minutes from the airport, you should look into

1. Weston
2. Cooper City
3. Western parts of Davie

I have posted tons of information about these three areas all over the website. I suggest running a search (with my screen name) or sending me a direct message for some more in depth advice on these areas.

In the meanwhile, I hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
For that price range bal harbor, aventura or coconut grove gets my vote.
Poor public school. Good luck finding a newer customer home with a private back yard in those areas. Or a SFH of any price.

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-04-2007 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-04-2007, 08:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove (certain parts) or Pinecrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepRN3 View Post
My husband and I are relocating from Connecticut. We are looking for a nice suburb, within 40 minutes of the international airport (husband works from home and travels) with excellent public schools. We can spen $600,000 to $800,000 on a home. We would like a newer, custom home with a private backyard.

We also can live in Houston, Texas. Any input on the benefits of Miami over Houston would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM

159 posts, read 803,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove (certain parts) or Pinecrest
In Dade County, it pretty much doesn't get anymore suburban than Pinecrest & Coral Gables.

South Miami is real nice as well. Also, in North Dade Miami Shores is real nice.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 PM

16 posts, read 217,077 times
he's right, i been here my WHOLE life and sick of it, going to colorado!!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:

THANK YOU
I have a similar option, but not at that price level.

At your level, you can probably overcome any negatives of Miami-Dade/Broward.

The decision probably depends on where he will be doing most of his traveling and if the one hour time zone difference has any impact on your lives.

Overall, I agree with Ft. Lauderdale: though the cost of living is certainly lower in Houston, southern Florida probably offers a better quality of life on balance, again, at your price level.

Assuming that strategic geographic location is of importance, Miami offers a better position - even if slight - than Houston in terms of travel to most of Latin America and Europe, as well as the northeast US. However, if the western United States is equally or more of a focus, then Houston may be better. And, as mentioned, in Houston you can buy a much bigger house and property and more privacy than in most of Miami-Dade/Broward. Furthermore, the city of Houston probably offers a more in-depth and diversified cultural life than Miami which, in contrast, is more superficial and skewed.

So, I would say it depends on your needs and preferences with respect to climate, geographical position, size of house/property, and culture.

All the best!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,075 times
Miami Beach!!! Mid beach (41st St area) - that's the exact price range, & it's the best!!! And you just go right over 195! Check it out! Also, coming from the NE, you'll feel at home! I lived in/on Miami Beach for 10.5 years! If I could afford a house there, that's where I'd still be living!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:

THANK YOU
I used to live in Texas for awhile. Your money is going to go longer in Houston and there are a brick ton of jobs that pay well there. In miami, not so much.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,188 times
In Broward County..... Cooper City is nice. Hibbs Groves has some large 3/2 on just over 1/2 acre for 750K. Great public school district. Weston is also quite beautiful. Davie has nice homes in the western region with large lots. You may be able to find a home in Southwest Ranches, probably a fixer-upper at your price range. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami