Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM

21 posts, read 73,299 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I moved here earlier this week. I work in Bay Harbor Islands, 22 years old, and am apartment-searching, likely around North Bay Village/North Beach, etc. right in between Bay Harbor and South Beach.

This will be my first weekend here, and I kinda wanted to check out Miami.

Where do college students/recent grades hang out? I also wanna go visit UMiami's campus, which I hear is in Coral Gables. Are there any good spots there that you'd recommend? And any particular spots in South Beach/Miami Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
These days Brickell is the spot. Plenty of bars and there is Club 50. Blackbird is my favorite bar I highly reccomend it. There are some other bars and pub type places in Mary Brickell and near by.

Of course people still hang out at South Beach. The more northern clubs are the ones I see locals at more. North of 17th street. Plenty of bars full of tourist on Ocean Drive.

There is also the Coconut Grove bar scene this is more UM undergrads but plenty of 20s there too. More of the typical college bar scene.

A more hipster artsy crowd is in the Wynwood area. Art galleries and bars and some really good places to eat.

There is also Lincoln Road a bit touristy but plenty of locals hang out there too. Lots of bars.

Downtown South Miami has a few bars and places to eat that is near UM.

Downtown Coral Gables/Miracle Mile has some bars too and plenty of resturants.

As for the UM not much to see IMO and besides for a bar called titanic right off of campus there isn't anything on campus or on the border of campus worth seeing IMO. I like UM I go there for grad school but I think the undergrad campus experience would have sucked. Just my opinion though.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
What exactly are you looking for. There's different types of clubs and bars all over the place. In Wynwood you'll see 20-somethings hanging out in Wood Tavern and Gramps. Churchill's Pub in Little Haiti is a local institution, all types of people gather here.

Downtown Miami and Miami Beach have everything from EDM world circuit clubs, to low key hangouts. Just depends on what you're looking for. Haven't been in Coconut Grove a lot lately but it's a popular UM hangout with the Sandbar, Hooters and a bunch of other bars and clubs.

Brickell is less of a college crowd and more of a young professionals area. I'm sure you'd find something you'll like there.

I'm sure there's some places around FIU in some strip malls, but it's mostly locals over there and house parties up ands down Broward and Dade.

Just get out there, read up on local blogs, twitter feeds, and other local media.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 73,299 times
I guess my best comparison is that I went to a very large Big 10 school before I moved down here a month ago. So, I suppose that's the bar/club scene I'm looking for.

I'm living on near Biscayne and 123rd, which is not a great area lol. Brickell is kind of far from here, no? I guess I can't drive there, drink, and come back without a designated driver lol.

I've also been meaning to check out Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. That seems to be the area which will be most like my university. I'd like South Beach, but parking is a huge pain in the butt haha.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,196 times
Where do the hippies of Miami hang out? (not hipsters)

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
^^^ Reggae concerts? I don't know, Miami is not really a hippie place like Portland, Seattle, and Ashland.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
Well, once a month you can find them (and others) partying at the Full Moon Drum Circle in North Beach.

Full Moon Drum Circle - Miami Beach, FL

Here's what one of the yelpers had to say: Hippies, rejoice. The free love, free hugs, free spirited days of the Woodstock era are alive and well (even in Miami). Every month, as the pie in the sky reaches its full glory, dozens of offbeat Miamians...Expect fire eaters, poi swingers, glow stick wielders, belly dancers and all kinds of other hippie accouterments designed to enhance your Drum Circle experience. Burning Man, eat your heart out. Unfortunately, the man comes in to shut it down at midnight sharp and a sea of nonconformists hit the streets of North Beach. Many are bare footed, some singing, some still thumping the tops of their drums: all high on life. Hippie or not, you can't help but be enchanted by the good karma that permeates this Bohemian beach party. So kumbaya, my friends.

I found an old video on youtube of one from 2011:

Full Moon Party, Miami Beach, March 2011 - YouTube

Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post

I'd say Coconut Grove, other than that you'd probably have to head down to the Keys to find bonafide hippies.

As for the OP, everyone here pretty much summed it up, Brickell is the hottest spot but if you want more of a college town type bar scene, then Coconut Grove (Baracudas, Sandbar, Moes, Fat Tuesdays) or Sunset (Bougainvillea, Sunset Tavern, etc) are your best bet.

I really like some of the low key spots in South Beach though like Abraxax (4th & Meridian) and Waxy O'Connors and Playwright (10th & Washington), usually have mostly locals and a less touristy and party like a rock start atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami